A-Class/W168 Audio 10, Parrot MKi9100 and iPhone install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJoker

Car
A160 Petrol/Auto/2001
Hey guys,

I'm hoping my Parrot MKi9100 kit will arrive this weekend so I can fit it.

I was just wondering if anyone has done a similar install and can give me some tips before I start off.
I've read the Parrot manual, I've read up a bit on Lofty's site on how to remove panels, so I shouldn't be totally unprepaired. :cool:
The plan is to connect the Parrot to the standard (2001) version of the Audio 10 system, it's got a cassette player (how nostalgic!) and a 6-CD changer in the boot.

However, I'm a bit unsure on how to route the cables, etc. The descriptions on how to remove the centre console, glove box, and the instrument cluster "bubble" aren't 100% clear.
If you've done it, I'd appreciate any heads-up! :thumb:

I'm also a bit torn about where to put a phone holder, and what phone holder to get. The Brodit ones seem to do the trick, but at ~£50, they're quite dear. :doh: And I really want to just slide the phone (iPhone 4) right into the cradle and it should be charging without any extra cables or hassle.
At the moment I'm thinking right or left of the instrument cluster. :dk:

Then at some point I might get an iPod off eBay and use that as my permanent car-jukebox. Anyone got any experience on this, especially with regards to the Audio 10 (cassette with CD changer)?

I'll post my findings when I've succeeded. :rock:

Right...

A bit progress, very few photos though. Got the centre console off, it's easy and quick once you figure out how to do it.

W168 face lift. Take the stereo out (I'm using Halfords 'European-car' removal tools), undo the connectors - make sure you know your code (I think I know mine! :eek:). Then inside the stereo compartment, at the back, there's two lugs, press these down, and the CD-holder and stereo holder should slide right out. Then there's two screws that you can undo to pop off the facia.

Back to the install. Managed to stick the microphones up next to the mirror, and the display to the right of the instrument cluster, routing the wires to the centre console. Also got the USB/iPod/Aux wire into the glove box.
Next up is connecting it all up and installing the Parrot Bluebox.

Hope this is of any use to someone.

I'll continue to talk to myself here... :thumb:

The install was way easier than I had anticipated. I connected it all up, simply plug it all in, with the wires hanging out of the centre console. Worked first try. :bannana: Stuck the mute-lead into "Mute 1", didn't even bother trying anything else. :cool:
Once I had verified that it all worked, I proceeded to stuff the electrical spaghetti into the centre console. Used 3M DualLock to stick the Bluebox onto the right-hand-inside-side of the centre console. Some cable ties etc, and it was all in there.
Put the panels back on, the stereo back in and works a treat. I stuck the remote control on the right hand side just in front of the gear lever. Seems to be a good spot. The buttons could be a bit stiffer as I find I click them very easily.
Left hand sound seems to drop off a bit, so I better open it up and make sure the cables are connected properly, but at the moment, I think it's OK.
Very impressed overall with the system, it's a lot of features for £115. :rock: Only bug-bear at the moment is that it doesn't connect the phone's A2DP stereo sound automatically, which means I have to fettle with the control to get music out.

Either way, the reason I've not found any info on this set-up is probably because it's so easy. Just plug the wires in and off you go. Hardest part was to pull the wires for the microphone, display and music-in. When that was done, it was a doddle. :bannana:

thanks for information about console removal-would have been great with a few photos though.

Although I've never had a 168 and am very unlikely to ever have one due to the size of my family, if I did I would be very thankful for this 'how-to'.

Sometimes certain threads get missed because of the time of day of posting etc. so don't worry about talking to yourself, there is always someone watching...,

Thanks guys, not worried about talking to myself. :) I know there's not much to say, especially when there's not much progress.

I'll see if any of the photos I took are any good and if they are I'll include them. :)

Righty ho - Important thing first;

You have to switch the power cables in the fuses as per the Parrot instructions in the manual. The Mercedes-Benz (Becker) Audio 10 has got this "feature" that's described in the manual.
When this is done, and you switch the power off, you'll get a "Disconnected" and then "Goodbye" message on the screen, if you don't switch them, then the Parrot just "dies". :cool::rock:

Pictures, pictures... well a few. Have a look here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/the.joxor/AClassParrotBTInstall

This is the spaghetti hole. :cool:
CIMG8133.JPG

Nice clean install, did you also connect the yellow mute cable to one of the three mute plugs so that when in a call or listioning to music through the auxillary connectors PHONE is displayed on the audio 10 ?

Nice clean install, did you also connect the yellow mute cable to one of the three mute plugs so that when in a call or listioning to music through the auxillary connectors PHONE is displayed on the audio 10 ?

No, I didn't do that. I was wondering if something similar could be done. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to do that now. :thumb:

On a slightly other note, be careful about the "instrument cluster dome" not chewing through the cables to the display - it's done that a bit on mine because I've forced it on, on the wrong place. :doh: Still works etc, though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom