A-Class. When did they stop making CVTs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG J

Car
C32 AMG estate and Audi TT 3.2V6 w.DSG (mk2)
My wife has an A-Class (180 CDI Avantgarde) with a CVT automatic transmission. The transmission is absolutely awful but the rest of the car fantastic.

The gearbox is so unbearable I'd like to get her another A-Class but with a normal automatic gearbox, ie not the CVT.

Does anyone know what year Mercedes stopped producing the CVT and went back to the normal automatic gearbox?

When I know this I can go car shopping with confidence!

Thanks all.

The easy answer is that it was when they finally realised how rubbish the CVT was! The CVT was an option on the C-Class for many years, but I think it was the only auto available. They did have an awful clutchless system for many years that tried to be the best of both worlds- but it turned out to be the worst. The latest (third generation) A-Class just released has DCT (Double Clutch Transmission) that sounds good from all you read about it, but only time will tell if it's more reliable than the CVT. I don't think they ever went through a period of a normal auto box. :(

It was only the first generation A class that had a conventional torque converter box-- or automated clutch system --- or a conventional manual IRRC. Conventional torque converter boxes are rapidly becoming a thing of the past- more's the pity. Your wife's best bet is probably the Japanese or Korean manufacturers if she wants an old fashioned auto.:(

I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but having read the following article on Wikipedia, it looks to me as though the CVT is the only option for automatic gearbox in the A Class (2004 - 2012). Two manual boxes are also available.
I also don't know how accurate the article is, but take a look yourself and see if you agree with my understanding of it.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but having read the following article on Wikipedia, it looks to me as though the CVT is the only option for automatic gearbox in the A Class. Two manual boxes are also available.
I also don't know how accurate the article is, but take a look yourself and see if you agree with my understanding of it.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately there is no mention of the type of gearboxes fitted to the first generation W168 A CLASS in that article unless I missed it. The W169 had only a CVT autobox as you said. Confusion between the first and second generation transmissions may be the OP's problem.:dk:

Thanks all. It's a second gen A-class, so sounds like there aren't any options in the A-Class family except seeing if the dear wife will go back to a manual. Unless the B-class uses a regular auto? That could be an option.

my dear wife has an 60 plate a180cdi cvt and loves it. I am fearful about the gearbox giving problems but at 25k so far so good. I have been concerned about low frequency rumble of it and am contemplating continueing the MB service contract and buying an extended warranty. Should I be worried?? I prefer my 300TD auto but for short journeys the A class is ok Not looking forward to changing the glow plugs. Any comments about gearbox integrity. Has anyone had a gearbox oil tested for metal content ?

my dear wife has an 60 plate a180cdi cvt and loves it. I am fearful about the gearbox giving problems but at 25k so far so good. I have been concerned about low frequency rumble of it and am contemplating continueing the MB service contract and buying an extended warranty. Should I be worried?? I prefer my 300TD auto but for short journeys the A class is ok Not looking forward to changing the glow plugs. Any comments about gearbox integrity. Has anyone had a gearbox oil tested for metal content ?

I personally have not come across an A or B class later than 2007 with any issues from a cvt transmission. But maybe that's because generally they do not cover a great deal of miles.
I personally am not a fan of the way they drive, but everyone to their own. In general they are great cars, and give few problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom