A-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
My Gf wants a new car and we are looking at a cheap-ish A-Class. That's as close as I can get her to get a MB.

Is there anything to look out out for as I have never driven or owned one?

Get a manual one

As above, if you get an auto it will go wrong at some time in it's life. Starter motors are a common problem and the engine/subframe has to be lowered to gain access.

Also steering column UJ's wear and are not replaceable on their own, new steering column required.

Fuel pipes can also be an issue, especially around the filter area but are difficult to get to due to the undertray that covers most of the underside of the car.

Not bad little cars, my partner had one for three years and she loved it.

Hello

Most people tend to knock the A class, however it tends to be people who have never owned one and have heared off someone who says they are not very good...

We had one for over 4 years and it was a great car. I guess depends how much your spending depends what you can get, the faclifted ones (with the mirrors in the indicators) would be slightly better / nicer but otherwise...

As above go for Manual, not Auto or Semi Auto (less to go wrong and autos v pricey when they go wrong)

If it has a sunroof, the full length one check it opens / closes properly and doesn't squeak or leak.

Starter motors very awkard to get to so exspensive to repair but no idea how you check for this.

LWB (long wheel base) models have loads of room in the back.

A140 / A160 probaly as economical as each other.

we had the A210 Evo model and even that with a 2.1 did over 40mpg regulary.

In over 4 years ours needed new Brakes and pads, back exhaust and tyres. Pretty good indeed.

My Brother was so impressed they bought a A170Cdi for his wife, that does over 50mpg.

Model range is either A140, A160, A190, A210 and the A170Cdi

Above is about the older W168 series. You havent said what your budget is but if possible go for the W169 series (2005 onwards).

I bought my wife an older one (04) and it did indeed experience the starter motor issue (along with general poor build quality). The original purchase price of £6.5k then ballooned to £10k when all required work was done. It was a great car when all was working but gradually things went horribly wrong and we chopped it in for a Honda.

Thanks to everyone. Sorry I didn't make the budget known earlier on. She is thinking a sub £2000 car at the moment. (She is graduating from an N Reg 306 Diesel)

168 then , don't be tempted by an auto or semi auto , the gearboxes are time bombs , it's not if but when.

Loftys site is the site to read before you go in.

Don't be put off by a lot of it , most is a simple fix. Budget for an ECU fix ( £220 ish ) as it will undoubtedly need doing on a sub £2k car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom