A clear vote for winter tyres!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fast_eddie

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all,

I know there are many many threads currently runing about winter tyres/snow tyres etc, I just wanted to share my experience.

My frustration continued today with the lack of traction on my normal tyres (Conti SportContact on 18" rims), so I got a shiny new set of 16" replica alloys (Alu-something AMG4 possibly??) with shiny new 205/25 Michelin Alpin A4 tyres on them.

My God - the handling improvement was incredible as soon as I drove away, it was (and 30 miles later still is) as sure-footed as a mountain goat. I simply cannot believe the difference.

Of course, it was painfully expensive but I'm writing the cost down in my head over 5 years, and the fact that I now have winter wheels/tyres means that I can change them back myself around March (hopefully)...

I guess that here in Ireland, we've never really had winter tyres because we've never really had winter - like much of England and Wales, it's generally a very moderate climate with no extremes.

So - I was cynical, but I now absolutely see the light of winter tyres...

Cheers,
Eddie

Don't get too carried away. I change my 18' to 16' winter wheels every November and have never had a problem nor been stuck - until last night.

I foolishly drove down to my parents house and then couldn't get back up the hill. I had to go back the morning and dig the car out.

Winter wheels are no answer to stupidity - but now at least I know the limits.

Don't get too carried away. I change my 18' to 16' winter wheels every November and have never had a problem nor been stuck - until last night.

I foolishly drove down to my parents house and then couldn't get back up the hill. I had to go back the morning and dig the car out.

you could always reverse up the hill, most of the times works on my Smart :doh:

Common Sense must prevail - mustn't it?

Thanks br0ke - sage advice.

It is important to highlight that winter tyres do not provide invulnerability, so no running around like the Black Knight shouting "I'm INVINCIBLE", or drag racing towards snowy roundabouts...

On the other hand, I was able to relax last night in the belief that I would have no difficulty getting to work this morning - and I was right!

Cheers, and a happy Christmas to all,
Eddie

I'm writing the cost down in my head over 5 years
Check the date code on the sidewalls - depending on when they were manufactured you may not safely get 5 years' use from them.

Didn't you have a shovel with you?

Thanks for the reminder though. I just got mine fitted last week and have still to find the limits! Guessing it will be when the ground clearance disappears. Shovel in the boot for me then!

God, yes - I fitted 16" Michelin Pilot Alpins to my W210 E-Class and it has been epic up here in the Highlands - vs the spring when it refused to budge an inch on the drive. The day after I had them fitted (I ordered them from Costco in early November) we drove from Glasgow to Inverness in heavy snow past Aviemore. The 4x4 crew-cab ahead of ice was snaking about on the road and we just sailed along without the TC light blinking once. Since then I've tested them in all sorts of conditions and they've come up trumps every time. They have limits (bottoming out being one - sheet ice being another) so care is required but driven sensibly, they just get you there. No longer considering a 4x4.

Perfect description. Now you can understand why in Switzerland for example, you need them during winter: November to April

Perfect description. Now you can understand why in Switzerland for example, you need them during winter: November to April

It's a legal requirements in many European countries to have winter tyres during a certain period of Winter, like you said.

Sometimes it's from November to March or December to April, but the fact is that if you don't have them, then you're facing a fine or maybe even points.

Obviously, in Britain and other countries, where it doesn't snow heavily, it's up to drivers whether they want to fit them or not...

I strongly suspect a lot more people will be buying them before next winter. Supply has been a joke this year (all the tyre places around here answer the phone with "Sorry, we have no winter tyres, how can we help you?" - my brother was saying the same was true in Newmarket - 500 miles south)

205's on an e class?

My manual recommends 245/45/17's all round!

Alternatively 245/40/18.

I'm sure 205 will be better in snow but did not think it was an advisable size

It's a legal requirements in many European countries to have winter tyres during a certain period of Winter, like you said...

Only in Sweden.

Elsewhere in Europe, the requirement is to have winter tyres during winter months only when weather and driving condition require it.

But if you decide to stay at home when the weather is bad then you are not legally required to have your car fitted with winter tyres - at any time of the year.

You will not get in trouble for driving with summer tyres in Germany during winter months if it is on a bright dry day.

In the UK at current there is no legal requirement for winter tyres at all - i.e. you could drive (or try to anyway) through a snow blizzard in January with summer tyres and the police can not do anything about it.

205's on an e class?

Alternatively 245/40/18.

My W210 manual says 195's for winter tyres on 15" rims, haven't crashed yet :crazy:

Wheel size will depend on the brakes you have fitted for example 16" wheels would not fit over the front brakes on my old 01 E430
But may on the smaller engined cars

Lynall

205's on an e class?

Alternatively 245/40/18.

Correction - 225/55 R16s. The wheel guy was worried that they mightn't fit around the brake callipers, but they did...

Cheers,
Eddie

After the shambles last year, I also took the plunge. Found some 15" merc steel rims and fitted 195/65 Conti Winter contact - from Kwik Fit, no availability issues and even discounted!. I agree with all the comments so for - these dont magically make you invincible but whilst not looking pretty, the new rim/tyre combo is a great improvement for the usual dreadful snow performance of a rear wheel drive auto. I'm sure going to a narrower size has helped too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom