A close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it was on video, which it would have been, he had all the evidence required. Distance is irrelevant with video evidence of speeding.
If there are two police officers to corroborate , it is sufficient that they express an opinion that there was excess speed ; this can be two officers walking along the pavement , no apparatus required .

Memory is flaky on this , but isn't/wasn't it 3/10 of a mile ?

I used to know...... I must have slowed down now!
One or two thirds of a mile - can't remember which - but one of the two.

By the OP's first post, I don't think the cop had the evidence. And I don't believe a cop can ascertain or prescribe a correct rate of acceleration (though it's been tried on me before). A dangerous path to traverse I suspect - especially for those running quick cars.

OP says he didn't hold 50mph for long so I very much doubt there was steady video evidence permissible in court. More likely a rapid rise in speed in pursuit followed by rapid deceleration for the 'pull' with very little if any steady speed data.

(I once got accused of speeding because the police from a standstill had to exceed the speed limit to catch up with me. Yeah, that's the laws of physics at work and nothing to do with my (law abiding) speed).

The OP never specified his actual speed. ‘50 something’ - so a guesstimate I would think. Even at that sort of speed, he would have been breaking the speed limit from the moment he passed 40mph all the way to ‘50 something’ and then until he was back under 40mph.

Considering how much negativity there is, it’s refreshing to see some intelligent policing - stop the OP to check all is well, etc. Accelerating rapidly and also exceeding the speed limit is likely to draw attention, especially as Roger’s car has a loud exhaust.

Plenty of stolen AMGs out there, nice to know when they have seen something that raises suspicion they don’t just shrug their shoulders and ignore it.

It was an unmarked car, perhaps with video recording etc, so I suspect you may be wrong about evidence - more likely is they felt it not worth reporting him for it, such as his action (including attention) once they flashed him over - hence my earlier comments regards the ‘attitude test’

This is good, reasonable policing IMHO.

I used to know...... I must have slowed down now!
One or two thirds of a mile - can't remember which - but one of the two.

By the OP's first post, I don't think the cop had the evidence. And I don't believe a cop can ascertain or prescribe a correct rate of acceleration (though it's been tried on me before). A dangerous path to traverse I suspect - especially for those running quick cars.
There are speed limits , but to my knowledge no limit on acceleration - you just have to be in full control of the car .

I suppose 3/10 and 1/3 are not hugely different ; maybe I heard 3/10 since it could be read off the 10ths wheel of an odometer ?

Plenty of stolen AMGs out there, nice to know when they have seen something that raises suspicion they don’t just shrug their shoulders and ignore it.

So the guys with their 200 diesels with AMG badges have it right after all. Because if you have an actual quick AMG you'll never be able to accelerate harder than the diesel for fear of being pulled.

A hard accelerating E63 biturbo suspicious. I'd be more suspicious of one pootling along.

Reactions: 219
Remember that thing sounds like a jet fighter from behind when you give it the beans !!!

Is this not why Australia introduced a 'Hooning' law. Instead of having to prove vehicle control,driving without due care and attention, excessive wheelspin/acceleration etc.

You just get bust for being a 'Hoon' , a fine and demerit points. IIR Lewis Hamilton got done for it while doing burnouts on the road in his AMG during the Australian F1GP weekend a few years back.

Killjoys ! :p

OP says he didn't hold 50mph for long so I very much doubt there was steady video evidence permissible in court. More likely a rapid rise in speed in pursuit followed by rapid deceleration for the 'pull' with very little if any steady speed data.

As I understand it, modern kit instantaneously calculates the speed of the other car relative to the police car in which the kit is mounted, adds the speed of the police car, and displays the result, which is the speed of the target car. 'Steady' doesn't come into it.

Isn't modern technology wonderful...

Remember that thing sounds like a jet fighter from behind when you give it the beans !!!

The folly of which has become apparent.
(Discretion is of more use).

So the guys with their 200 diesels with AMG badges have it right after all. Because if you have an actual quick AMG you'll never be able to accelerate harder than the diesel for fear of being pulled.

A hard accelerating E63 biturbo suspicious. I'd be more suspicious of one pootling along.
Not at all - you usually use the power when conditions allow, and when a police car isn’t following...

And if you break the speed limit in front of a watching police man/woman, be polite and courteous and you’re more likely to be treated as per the OP ;)

To disprove your point - the OP has run AMGs for 7 years, and this is his first stop :)

I think its a pretty good result all round.
The OP broke the speed limit - even if it was just marginally.
The police pulled him over, he acted responsibly, and he got away with a bit of a talking to - sounds ok to me.

I thought I was getting pulled on Wednesday too.

Picked the 55 up from it's MOT and on the way home I go under an underpass below the railway station on a 50 dual carriageway. The carriageway 50 sign (from 30) is way way down the carriageway and most folks are doing 50 or more before they hit it. ;)

I always wait till the 50 sign before going (much) above 30, waited till then and floored it, then backed off (love the V8 roar in the underpass).

Seen the cop headlights in my mirror and they started to catch me but by the time I hid the next 30 I was down to the limit.
They were then behind me at the traffic lights and I could see them in the mirror pointing at the rear of the car and having some sort of discussion.

I carried on my way without incident but I thought they might pull me for my use of the loud pedal.

Cheers for the comments guys. I almost didn't post this, expecting the flak that sometimes comes with anyone breaking a speed limit.

As noted, I was lucky to be stopped by a copper with an interest in the car and certainly my attitude and acceptance of wrongdoing helped.
He was alone and no doubt recorded what was going on ahead of him. As he said, it was the rapid acceleration that got his attention even though I'm sure my top speed was also recorded. I doubt it was much more than 3 seconds from rest to easing off so he made his mind up to put on the blues almost immediately. The exhaust note probably didn't help either.

It was a good outcome for me and sure, I was lucky. On another day I could have been looking at 3pts, a fine, costs and an inevitable increase in my insurance.

It was a good outcome for me and sure, I was lucky. On another day I could have been looking at 3pts, a fine, costs and an inevitable increase in my insurance.

Or, maybe, a speed awareness course, all the ones I've been on were OK really.

Or, maybe, a speed awareness course, all the ones I've been on were OK really.

I did one of those years ago. 37 in a 30 limit in my work van.
That was a cash collecting camera that time.
I must pay more attention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom