A close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I said 'IIR' Lewis Hamilton got 'done' Hooning , I did not say he got any kind of fine or any point on his license as that would not be possible. I should know , I have been caught speeding in Australia (and a few other countries !) with zero effect on my UK licence. I have had speeding fines in the EU , Holland & Denmark with no points on my license . I do know there is some kind of reciprocal agreement in place with the EU regarding driving offences, but whatever I did maybe was before that was ratified or not a serious enough , No idea.

PS. you say " ...all the country you are visiting can do is fine you..."

Or they could throw you in the back of a pick up truck with a cage on it drive around with you in the back until their night shift ended , chuck you in a cell and let you out the next day and tell you to find your own way back...... so you are correct, you can be jailed ;)
Yes , I remember the LH episode from when it happened , I wouldn't have expected the Aussies to be able do do anything but fine him , but I expect the rollocking he got from his bosses was probably worse .

I must be lucky in as much as numerous trips driving on the continent in half a dozen countries , I'be been blemish free but I know it at one time wasn't joined up at all .

A good number of years ago , a mate of mine , his name wasn't Dave , got a month's ban after totting up 12 points from 4 speeding tickets - so he went on holiday to France , with his car , because the ban didn't apply there ; he got his GF of the time to drive down , and by the time he came back the ban was over and he was fine to drive again !

A pal who was a coach driver and did lots of continental tours told me he used to regularly get speeding tickets in Holand , Germany , Austria , Italy , but they were just fines paid at the roadside , that was the end of it and it didn't matter how often it happened ( think it was before the Euro , but they were token amounts ) . I do remember he said he took great care never to get done in Switzerland , because even then their fines were much higher .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom