A close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well Roger, as an upstanding citizen (me, not thee) I’m rather disappointed in you - I would never do such a thing and you should probably be banned from the forum for your honesty.

And I’m not saying that piously, I’m saying that as someone who has zero points.

Is this not why Australia introduced a 'Hooning' law. Instead of having to prove vehicle control,driving without due care and attention, excessive wheelspin/acceleration etc.

You just get bust for being a 'Hoon' , a fine and demerit points. IIR Lewis Hamilton got done for it while doing burnouts on the road in his AMG during the Australian F1GP weekend a few years back.

Killjoys ! :p

Sounds like something akin to Section 59 of the Police Reform Act in England and Wales.

I did one of those years ago. 37 in a 30 limit in my work van.
That was a cash collecting camera that time.
I must pay more attention!
At least with a cop, especially one like you got, you stand a chance, with a cash machine you've no chance.

All?
That infers three or more.
Are you incapable of learning from experience?

(Actually, that's rhetorical - I know the answer...)
There you are!

I've missed you and your simple ways.

I thought I was getting pulled on Wednesday too.

Picked the 55 up from it's MOT and on the way home I go under an underpass below the railway station on a 50 dual carriageway. The carriageway 50 sign (from 30) is way way down the carriageway and most folks are doing 50 or more before they hit it. ;)

I always wait till the 50 sign before going (much) above 30, waited till then and floored it, then backed off (love the V8 roar in the underpass).

Seen the cop headlights in my mirror and they started to catch me but by the time I hid the next 30 I was down to the limit.
They were then behind me at the traffic lights and I could see them in the mirror pointing at the rear of the car and having some sort of discussion.

I carried on my way without incident but I thought they might pull me for my use of the loud pedal.
I know exactly where you are , used to do the same 😊

To disprove your point - the OP has run AMGs for 7 years, and this is his first stop :)

Me too, and I've only been stopped once too. I can take a hint, and I've stopped pushing it - mostly...

and onto an empty dual carriageway.

The empty dual carriageway is a big factor, and the policeman will have taken that into account.
That, coupled with a hands up response won the day, and rightly so.

I'm not one that drives particularly fast. No matter what I'm driving, I'm actually pretty 'square'.
However, I am firm believer in 'there's a time and a place' for opening up.

IMHO, better the man in a powerful car that enjoys its power when safe to do so, than the pedal to the metal nob head that travels at 40, 50 60mph EVERYWHERE with scant regard for the safety of people and animals.

I feel for police officers - a pissing in the wind, 24/7, thankless task, without which, we would suffer.

Being a cop?
I'd either be too afraid of some situations or (although I'm generally a mild-mannered guy) would end up knocking out people in others.
Scumbags, swearing, spitting or kicking at me, fellow officers or members of the public would result in me administering a 600psi.

I don't understand the cop-haters that pick up the blower when they need one.

The fuzz are undervalued human beings and might have all sorts of crap going on in their life, but still have to go out and do their job.

Nice to see that Roger met with a reasoned officer who probably welcomed 10 minutes off from chasing scrotes, at high speeds through crowded streets.

Not so long ago, I had just come out of a 30mpg limit, when I was stopped by a policeman. He said ' Sir, do you realise yo were doing 37 mph in a 30 mph limit? What have you got to say?
I replied ' It was gross inattention on my part and what's worse, I am not even in a hurry'. The policeman actually laughed. He said he had been in the police for over 10 years and that was the most honest answer he had ever heard. He told me to go on my way and be more careful in future.

Well the local vigilante speed camera brigade have been missing for weeks around here,all fairly aged so I suppose,the virus may well have taken the one who's hand was steady enough to work the camera,what a shame :rolleyes: I had a speed awareness course about 8 years ago,quiet a mixture of people on it,the biscuits were ok the coffee could have been better,we had young drivers in panic that their £1500 insurance was going to hit the roof,older women who were proberly caught rushing to pick up children,and guys like me who decided to go on the course to see what happened as I knew nobody who had been on one,my capture was of all things on the M25,or I should say where it turns into a A road on the essex side,it was between xmas and the new year and at 5.30 am there was no traffic and I was in no hurry there was black focus in lane two I was in lane three nothing behind me and two trucks coming up the last slip before the bridge,I am going past the focus at the speed limit of 60 mph,when he just came across me I suspect he mis read what the trucks were doing,I floored the loud pedal and went to the over taking lane,then slowed down and got flashed,still no accident and it was a joy to listen to the failed driving instructor and the old copper retired ;) ,we had a nice chat about Daimler Darts when they were used by the police

Like the bloke, when pulled over by the police for speeding starts to argue with the cop.

The blokes wife leans over from the passenger seat and says to the cop " Ignore him officer , he always get argumentative when he is drunk...." :p

It's easily done, slight pressure on the loud pedal from the lights in these kind of cars will easily put you over the speed limit, I've done it myself.

The copper looked at the situation and saw an older man in the car, no racing and no erratic driving. Along with the apology when getting out of the car surely helped.

Well the local vigilante speed camera brigade have been missing for weeks around here,all fairly aged so I suppose,the virus may well have taken the one who's hand was steady enough to work the camera,what a shame :rolleyes: I had a speed awareness course about 8 years ago,quiet a mixture of people on it,the biscuits were ok the coffee could have been better,we had young drivers in panic that their £1500 insurance was going to hit the roof,older women who were proberly caught rushing to pick up children,and guys like me who decided to go on the course to see what happened as I knew nobody who had been on one,my capture was of all things on the M25,or I should say where it turns into a A road on the essex side,it was between xmas and the new year and at 5.30 am there was no traffic and I was in no hurry there was black focus in lane two I was in lane three nothing behind me and two trucks coming up the last slip before the bridge,I am going past the focus at the speed limit of 60 mph,when he just came across me I suspect he mis read what the trucks were doing,I floored the loud pedal and went to the over taking lane,then slowed down and got flashed,still no accident and it was a joy to listen to the failed driving instructor and the old copper retired ;) ,we had a nice chat about Daimler Darts when they were used by the police

And breathe..... :)

Well, if I got a tug, I suppose I could try this.

"Do you know the limit is 40mph on this road, sir?

Mph? Mph?

Sh!t! Sorry officer.

I'm dyslexic and thought it was 40mpg so I kept my boot down to make sure I didn't get anwyhere near that."

All?
That infers three or more.
Are you incapable of learning from experience?
Do not rise to the bait,you see I gave a like,it's because they look up if you have been on a course and if you have you get the points and fine

The limit is 60 miles per hour you say officer?

I wasn't planning on being out that long....

Care to expand?
To be eligible you must meet this criteria

• you admit to being the driver of the vehicle and this is received by us within 42 days of the date of the offence
  • you haven't attended a Speed Awareness course within the last three years
  • the speed you were travelling at the time of the offence must fall within the acceptable speed range (Speed limit + 10% + 9mph). For example, in a 30 mph limit – you could attend a course up to 42mph inclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom