A couple of CLS questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 CLS

Car
CLS 55 AMG
So set on early next year to buy the car, i've been thinking whether the CLS 55 or 63 (W219).

The 55 suits me better as I love and am used to low end torque, only scare I have is boost leaks. I've always managed to have boost leaks in my turbo charged MPS, how common are they with the 55? Easy to diagnose?

Also how common is the 'head bolt' issue incase i want to go for the 63.

I'll prob still wanna get the 55 but thought id take advantage of the helpful nature of this forum :)

I have the same engine in my E55 and boost leak doesn't occur in a supercharged engine.
What can happen if the intercooler pump is weak, heat can build and the ECU will cut the power. Similar to boost leak but called heat soak. More likely to occur with engines that have a smaller s/c pulley which raises the temperatures. Easily cured with larger heat exchanger and intercooler pump.
The 63 engine is a fantastic piece of design with the only real problem being head bolt failure on older cars up to engine number 60658. Sound great but not so much torque as a 55k and far more expensive to get power gains if that interests you.
Iwould definitely go for the 55k engine over the 63 but 63 owners would disagree:D

The only car that can replace my E55 will be a 5.5 biturbo engined E63.

Definitely worth trying both the '63 and the '55 because they are very different engines; the 63 is very lazy low down and you've got to rev it to get a shift on whereas the '55K pulls from any gear at any revs.

I'm a big fan of forced induction and the 55k is very explosively addictive.

Definitely worth trying both the '63 and the '55 because they are very different engines; the 63 is very lazy low down and you've got to rev it to get a shift on whereas the '55K pulls from any gear at any revs.

I'm a big fan of forced induction and the 55k is very explosively addictive.

Just get the 55k FFS :bannana:

Biased info from all above!!! but 55K is the best engine i have driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom