A day at the Auctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very interesting,was it as simple as you describe buying at the auction. I thought there was a lot of palava to go through, i imagined that BCA was more geared up for the trade.

It was daunting, but I was clearly pegged as a newcomer.

Auctioneer double checked that I was bidding - and pointed out where to go.

From there it was pretty straightforward. Buyers Fee was quite steep, and I paid through the nose for having cash with me. Debit card would have been better. Obviously there is a risk at buying at auction. I am hopping to have mitigated this by buying a car disposed of at end of lease, rather than when it starts to be a problem such as a p/ex.

Hardest part was deciding on where and what to bid...

It was daunting, but I was clearly pegged as a newcomer.

Auctioneer double checked that I was bidding - and pointed out where to go.

From there it was pretty straightforward. Buyers Fee was quite steep, and I paid through the nose for having cash with me. Debit card would have been better. Obviously there is a risk at buying at auction. I am hopping to have mitigated this by buying a car disposed of at end of lease, rather than when it starts to be a problem such as a p/ex.

Hardest part was deciding on where and what to bid...

Dont you have to register,and prove you have insurance and tax etc,and transport if you are going to carry the car away.

Dont you have to register,and prove you have insurance and tax etc,and transport if you are going to carry the car away.

Nope. They were not interested in the slightest.

I arranged insurance, but had no cover note immediately after picking up the keys.

I arranged a Booked MOT locally to where I live (which I did not need) so could drive to the booked appointment. As it happened my contact had not bother to consult his dairy and had gone out. Had cover note by fax by then so just taxed it.

ETA - You can just leave it to collect the next day. More than 24 hours incurs storage fees

Did you have to show them the insurance etc,or could you have just driven it away,even if the MOT had run out.

Nothing to show them as I had rearranged the Insurance over the phone after they had given me the keys.

Not sure about the MOT, as it had a cert. As a worst case scenario, if you are brave enough to buy a car at auction with no MOT, you could again arrange a pre-booked MOT at a garage local to you.

None of them were warrented alas.

This was why I wanted something coming off lease not a p/ex. Safety not guartented, but more likely.

The safety net really is the difference in value between what I paid and retail. I'd have to spend quite a bit to lose out.

In this one I think I got away with it...

Looks nice, I really like BMW wheels, I don't think they make a bad set.

Extra's - what are they!

I think it's only extra is Parking Distance Control. No Bluetooth, but does have a fitted Bury System 9. Cradle on order for £40. No Sat Nav either.

Mine has the same cradle, completely useless, think twice about splashing out On a cradle. 2 questions:
Can you see a microphone?
Is the cradle a Bluetooth unit?

lewyboy said:
Mine has the same cradle, completely useless, think twice about splashing out On a cradle. 2 questions:
Can you see a microphone? Yes
Is the cradle a Bluetooth unit - not as far as I can work out

?

as above...

I really like car auctions.
I do find bidding pretty stressful though.

This guy started the last car I went for.
I ran away.

6238988974_ab5d85f06e.jpg

Your car looks pretty good value.
and shiny.

Last edited:
David
What did you get for your C320 CDi ? Did it generate much interest?

So are you now wearing White socks? Are you really Job-Black-Rat's love child? :D

Enjoy. I quite like the S80 too. Some really cheap ones out there.

We have a company manual 57 plate 520d M Sport. It was someone's company car until they left.

Then people started using it as an unofficial pool car, so I was asked to take it home to look after it.

I found it quite sprightly and reported good figures although I didn't bother to check them.

Managed to overtake a boy racer in some reasonable pace hot hatch without issue.

It is getting on for 200K now but is still quite tight - except it had a replacement engine at early 100Ks due to large water ingress in the engine (aka driven through flood)...

:rolleyes:

My only issue with it was there was not a great deal of room where my legs went - and having had an E39 in the passed which was fine, it was quite annoying.

I like the shape of them - more so than the current 5 series.

That one seems good value.

I really like car auctions.
I do find bidding pretty stressful though.

This guy started the last car I went for.
I ran away.

At least it started and like you others might have been put off so bidding was probably low. You should've gone for it, it probably wanted a new battery or had been standing a while.

Car has been doing sterling service today.

Doncaster to Sheffield - to find the key I had been given to a building did not fit. Back to Doncaster to drop off passenger who must get a train
Doncaster to Sheffield - to meet someone else with a key. There's did not fit so a 35 minute wait for a replacement to be collected before going back to Doncaster.

Now just about to leave for... Sheffield... Aghhhhh!

Car has been doing sterling service today.

Doncaster to Sheffield - to find the key I had been given to a building did not fit. Back to Doncaster to drop off passenger who must get a train
Doncaster to Sheffield - to meet someone else with a key. There's did not fit so a 35 minute wait for a replacement to be collected before going back to Doncaster.

Now just about to leave for... Sheffield... Aghhhhh!

Are you going to sit in the back this time.

No. I'm bloody driving. Destination about 1/2 a mile from earlier destination to see Disney on Ice.

Can you see a microphone?
Is the cradle a Bluetooth unit?

Sorry, hotel bar and typing on phone last time.

I have the same kit in my E60 and it's no use. Replaced the microphone and no better.
The cradle which clicks in is actually bluetooth and charging/ariel and in mine the bluetooth is just useless at speeds over 20mph.

Hope yours is better, my workmate with the same system in TT has the exact same issues as me despite a complete replacement.

It should handle very nicely-nice car!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom