A Day In The Life Of An RS6 V10.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Just a mini-review of my friend's RS6 V10 that I had the pleasure of driving on Saturday.

First things first; the power. Not as immediate as I would have thought, it's obviously fast as **** but it didn't feel rapid, like an Evo FQ400 does.

The ride was pretty decent even in sport mode, in fact in it's comfiest mode it was like being in my S211!

Gearbox was smooth in auto but not as quick as I would have liked when using the flappy paddles, maybe it's because I'm a bit out of practice....

Steering and handling felt sharp, just as you would expect, you certainly couldn't tell that it was four-wheel drive.

Last but not least; the noise. And what a noise it is! It sounded like thunder when you opened the taps, I couldn't stop grinning!

All in all, maybe I just needed a bit longer to get used to it but I came away feeling slightly disappointed. When I drove the M5, it felt like the car was connected to your brain; it knew what you wanted to do before you did it. The W211 E63 was just thunderous, not as responsive as the M5, but it felt quicker in the real world.

Nice looking cars those Sweetpea, faster that the E63 would you say......?

Nice looking cars those Sweetpea, faster that the E63 would you say......?
It was a black estate with brakes as big as a dustbin lid. :eek:

I don't know all of the figures off-hand, but out of the three the W211 E63 certainly felt the 'fastest'.

The E60 M5 is a really good car, I have owned a C5 RS6 and it was pants, test drove the C6 version and was still not impressed. Owned 20 Evos over the years including the FQ400 and it was by far the worst Evo I have driven.

The E60 M5 is a really good car, I have owned a C5 RS6 and it was pants, test drove the C6 version and was still not impressed. Owned 20 Evos over the years including the FQ400 and it was by far the worst Evo I have driven.

Now I see why you don't want an oilburner :cool:.

I had the pleasure of owning one of the unassuming little things for 18 months. Loved the way it just kept pulling until very silly speeds. Turn in was great, considering its size. In fact the only time it gave away its two tonnes was during heavy braking. I never felt overawed by the noise to be honest, the twin turbos robbing the exhausts of the real V10 sounds. Not a patch on the AMG V8 growl for example. I miss its presence, but I'm not missing its 10mpg around town.

He should send it off for a 700 bhp remap!!.

He should send it off for a 700 bhp remap!!.
He is doing! :rock:
He's also got an Aston Martin Vantage and this RS6 has just replaced an M5 that fell to bits....:rolleyes:

I imagine the RS6 would destroy the Aston in a straight line, not as pretty though, I would love a remapped RS6, their just sadly out of my price range at the moment.
Shame to hear the M5. Fell to pieces, its one of two BMWs that I really like, the other being the S1000RR.

I imagine the RS6 would destroy the Aston in a straight line, not as pretty though, I would love a remapped RS6, their just sadly out of my price range at the moment.
Shame to hear the M5. Fell to pieces, its one of two BMWs that I really like, the other being the S1000RR.
It was in the garage more often than not, which surprised me to be honest, my experience of them is that they are well-built? :confused:

It was in the garage more often than not, which surprised me to be honest, my experience of them is that they are well-built? :confused:

I always thought much the same for the BMW M cars, excpet for vanos issues I always thought they were pretty well built.

He's only had it two minutes and it's been in and out of Audi four times.

At the minute he's got smoke coming out of the steering wheel.......

the turbos does kill the v10 sound!
still comparing the C6 to the E63
(going standard on both)
must say two different cars but both very powerful.
E63, I believe is a lot more playful while the C6 is more subtle (yes quattro I know)
E63 kicking in straight away with the power although doing a kick down in the C6 it has hidden power under the loud pedal.
Handling must say the C6 is better..
two very powerful cars in the end
One day I'll get them lined up against each other.. :p

AUDI'S--- immensely competent but a slightly "detached " experience seems to be a common comment?

grober said:
AUDI'S--- immensely competent but a slightly "detached " experience seems to be a common comment?

I drove the S6 which is similar to what sweetpea drove but minus 120bhp and two turbos. I felt it was dull but immensely capable and very sure footed in the wet. Day to day it would make a brilliant car. Unlike sweetpea I wasn't robbed of any sound and the V10 is brilliant and different as the V8 seems to be the engine of choice in that segment. However speed wise a CLS55 would murder it, torque was not the S6s strong point but I guess the rs version addresses that

I think it's also that the RS6 is so tuneable too, 580 BHP for a bi turbo V10 isn't much and nearly every remap out there seems to take them to 700+, I admit I do have a soft spot for this car, but think I would still rather a bi turbo E63 when they become affordable.

Oli said:
I think it's also that the RS6 is so tuneable too, 580 BHP for a bi turbo V10 isn't much and nearly every remap out there seems to take them to 700+, I admit I do have a soft spot for this car, but think I would still rather a bi turbo E63 when they become affordable.

I'd have a massive soft spot for a 700bhp 200mph estate car but I know what you mean the 212 is awesome

A good friend of mine has an MTM tuned version with 730hp that is good for 216mph. That still feels strangely detached but by jobe does it get down the road. He replaced his 550 Marenello and supercharged RR to just this and it does both jobs admirably.

Audi is two or three steps behind Mercs and Bm's.

..theres somthing about them that i cant put my finger on but they just arent there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom