A day in the life of...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzmanc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
............a Nissan Leaf. I received an email from Nissan offering a Leaf for 24hrs, as i'm not one to pass on a freebie i said ok

I was a bit dubious at first but must say i am quite impressed, range on a full charge is around 100 miles but this is reduced considerably if you use a motorway, this is a city car first and foremost.

It is very well equipped with satnav, ipod socket, climate control, cruise and keyless entry/go.

It's very disconcerting that after switch on there is silence, push the accelerator in D mode and the thing takes off like a stabbed rat. In D Eco the power is reigned in for greater economy, coupled with recuperative braking. It rides well, is very comfortable, steering is a tad light but not excessive.

I am impressed, but dont think the technology is quite there yet, if it had a 200 mile range i would be sorely tempted but not yet. This particular car is up for just ove 23.5k which imo is too expensive, under 20k should be more like it.

I can't stop thinking how much a new battery pack would be and how long they last.

6901c4d1.jpg

c3f5c820.jpg

b7c6be79.jpg

2ccece0f.jpg

ea812164.jpg

It looks like the offspring of a Renault Megane and a botox'd frog!

That aside it sounds interesting.

We did have an electric van at work for bumbling around our 250 acre site, but a couple of low speed accidents involving surprised pedestrians canned it.

I think the Ampera is probably a more practical car for most people, unles they have a need for city only.

Makes more sense in London where there are free charging points now and of course no congestion charge. Otherwise I dread to think how many years the payback would be compared to a modern hatchback that does 70 or so mpg and costs half as much to buy.

Did it need recharging whilst you had it? if so how long did it take?

it's still here and is on charge now as it was down to 35 miles - they say it takes 12hrs using a domestic socket. There is a quick charge point at the dealer which will charge it to 80% in 30mins, these quick charge points are being rolled out across the country

Was your motoring representative of a regular day, if so the range is OK for you and it will charge up ready for use again overnight.

it's still here and is on charge now as it was down to 35 miles - they say it takes 12hrs using a domestic socket. There is a quick charge point at the dealer which will charge it to 80% in 30mins, these quick charge points are being rolled out across the country

How much does a full charge from a domestic socket cost?

How much does a full charge from a domestic socket cost?

On my tariff around £4. I'm at the dealer now, been told there will be a updated version soon with a 200 mile range which sounds more like it

Ugly looking thing outsode though...

I noticed a while back at Oxford Services charging 'bays'

I agree too pricey and not sure what happends second hand 4/ 5 years old, when it needs stuff...

I'll just reach for the haynes manual.

Its coming and its good to see.

Interesting thread.

I'd say bar the battery pack performance deminishing in time these will be a lot more reliable and durable than conventional drivetrains. If the battery pack can be changed easily the car would last more or less indefinitely.

Motor companies now say batteries will last 10years and that's an acceptable length of life for a mass market car, considering they are sold on leases and finance cars are seen as 3year throw always. Older car buyers will be able renew them easily with fresh batteries and motors.

Indeed Toyotas Prius is the least claimed warranty product in their range. I think reliability won't be the pitiful of the electric car. Range is and no way is a 100mile range acceptable. I'd want 400 minimum and a quick recharge, but I like touring, most will find 200miles good enough.

Don't know why they have to make E-cars so ugly. Battery pack should last 10 years. I know a couple of people with 1st gen Prius and to change the battery is around £5000.

Too expensive to by in the first place, and will you be saving enough on running cost to cover the cost of replacing the battery in 10 years time?

Also, I can't think of a duller way to start my day with than jumping into one of those.

W2-- said:
Don't know why they have to make E-cars so ugly. Battery pack should last 10 years. I know a couple of people with 1st gen Prius and to change the battery is around £5000.

Too expensive to by in the first place, and will you be saving enough on running cost to cover the cost of replacing the battery in 10 years time?

Also, I can't think of a duller way to start my day with than jumping into one of those.

Electric cars don't need to have a conventional bonnet and air intakes as they're not needed as batteries go in the floor and motors in the wheels or in the floor too.

This should create in theory a car that's capable of torque vectoring, AWD, FWD, and RWD in one.

Can't imagine they are dull, decent torque and the above and an interesting car could be made IMHO

The technology is in its infancy, the way DVD was 14years back. It will get cheaper once the early adopter phase is done but we need early adopters.

I can't think of a duller way to start my day with than jumping into one of those.

It's no coincidence that most OEM are showcasing their hybrid and electric technologies in their supercars, Jag C-X75, Porsche 918

Interesting thread.

I'd say bar the battery pack performance deminishing in time these will be a lot more reliable and durable than conventional drivetrains. If the battery pack can be changed easily the car would last more or less indefinitely.

Motor companies now say batteries will last 10years and that's an acceptable length of life for a mass market car, considering they are sold on leases and finance cars are seen as 3year throw always. Older car buyers will be able renew them easily with fresh batteries and motors.

Indeed Toyotas Prius is the least claimed warranty product in their range. I think reliability won't be the pitiful of the electric car. Range is and no way is a 100mile range acceptable. I'd want 400 minimum and a quick recharge, but I like touring, most will find 200miles good enough.

200 miles that would last my wife 2 years to the supermarket once a week :rolleyes:

cl55 amg said:
200 miles that would last my wife 2 years to the supermarket once a week :rolleyes:

There's the other issue, batteries don't hold their charge indefinitely so an irregular user would be worse off.

One concern I haven't heard addressed yet is the effect of ambient temperature on effective range. Since battery energy is essentially an electrochemical reaction, and as such is temperature rate-dependent how is the car going perform having sat in the street overnight at sub zero temperature? Factor in increased wheel slippage + electrical loading for heating+lighting wipers / de-misting how far is it going to travel? This may be trivial in leafy Surbiton but be of slightly more concern in Inverness?:crazy:

Interesting post all the same Benzmanc.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom