A decade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cinek

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB W204 , BMW F10, GSXR LZ3
Just came back from the job, where in town I parked up to another C class estate, give and take 10 years older.

Similar colour and general set up and then it hit me how little difference there is between them.

First visible difference was the shape of headlight clusters, then the grill size and then the bottom, front skirt , then....well, apart from some minor, subtle differences that was it.

Looking at the first picture, I actually prefer the way mirrors fold on the older model, as they are flash folded to the body.

Again, not much difference in the side layout, the window line, the doors, all very much alike. I dont want to mention alloy difference, as this was purely down to the trim/spec level.

And then there is the rear, and again, major difference is to do with light clusters and bumper, and that is it.

What got me thinking, is seen on this picture however. Look at the size of the brake disks on the other car.

Considering it had AMG badge on the back, I thought it might be C32 or C43 which would explain the size of the disk brakes. After checking the number plate against ASKmid, it turned out it was C180.
Were those disks standard on these cars back then? Considering the size and that they were drilled I am thinking somebody went through a lot of trouble in making it look like an AMG, or I am wrong and all those models were set up in that way?

Anyway, I was always a great fan of C class shape and I suppose the main reason why the overall line of the car hasnt really changed in the car, is because there is simply no need for it :)

Looks like that C class has the Sports Pack option

Mercedes hasn't really undergone the huge design language overhaul that rivals BMW did - so it seems a lot of their designs have taken the Porsche route of evolution, not revolution. I kinda like it. I do prefer just about everything on the new car but the old one certainly ages well.

I do prefer the older model, for me the proportions of the car are more elegant :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom