A diesel S class????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ackee911, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ackee911

ackee911 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L
    Hello everyone, hope everyone is enjoying their xmas.

I'm planning a road trip around europe next year which is roughly 3000 miles long. Now I know road trips are not cheap, but with my 500, I'm sure it'll be very expensive with a max mpg of 27mpg.

I am thinking of selling mine and buying a 320 diesel. As long as its still a LWB, I don't mind, but are there any 320 diesel owners out there that could tell me a bit about them. Are they noisy-I know diesels ARE noisy but with all the sound insulation in the S class. Also what are the performance differences?

What is the mpg like in a diesel? Or is it worth getting something like an E class.

Thanks and a happy new year to all

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Are diesels noisy, not noticed..they make more noise at idle due to the extremely lean mixture causing rapid pressure rise in the cylinders. This goes away when driving.

On the drive by noise test the diesel S is quieter than the petrol one. I can't find the petrol details at the moment but the CDi is 71db and iirc the petrol is 73db.
    We admirably proved that when under way a diesel is quieter at a rolling road shoot out some years ago.

3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Not sure it would be worth it to be honest, given it's a finite distance you'll be covering. Of course the less visible cost would be the risk of picking a lemon, if you already have a peach.

Sounds exciting. So where are you planning to go??

4. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    Just guessing but in an S with the amount of insulation i bet you wont notice much if any noise increase, but you will notice the lack of power compared to the 5.0l v8:)

Also bet the diesel wont do an awful lot more miles to the gallon 5 to 10 more at the absolute max, plus getting an unknown car and driving a few thousand miles a long way from home and easy help.

Google S320 CDI and see some lower than your car and some just over 34mpg at best.

My car on a steady run 75/80 does 28+mpg best of 30mpg.

Lynall

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    Ps 95p will buy you one euro:crazy:

Lynall

6. MBManInKen

MBManInKen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    I do these things regularly in my LWB S500 and commonly get 32-33mpg on the motorways. Yes, if there is a lot of in town driving and other non motorway traffic, you'll average will be more like 28mpg over the trip.

However, the difference between getting a few mpg more (even though it's a logarithmic scale) in a diesel and what the petrol cost would be for the same trip is negligible in the total cost of a trip (ferries, toll, hotels, food and drink, entrance tickets all add up to a lot more than the difference in petrol versus diesel costs).

Then there is the issue that Diesel is more expensive these days than petrol and that they seem to go wrong more than the petrols.

No s-class is a cheap car to drive and properly maintain...

7. Mactech

Mactech Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLE 350d AMG Line, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5, Honda VFR1200
    As has been observed, no S class will be 'cheap' to run. I have no doubt that the diesel will match the petrol for both noise and comfort, but I have a diesel because I love the effortless (and near silent) shove at low revs and the fact that I can do 800 miles without seeing a fuel station.
    A friend has a S500 with 250k miles on it which he uses to do executive airport runs and maintains that it is cheaper to keep his treasured petrol than pay to change to a diesel which tend to hold their prices a little better.
    The petrol won't do this though!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  8. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    :D

That is true, but to sell your s-class petrol for a diesel version in order to make a road trip a bit more affordable seems a rather different issue ;).

9. Mactech

Car:
    In the words of Jeeves....Indeed sir!:D

10. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    How about hiring one just for the trip?

How might that work out?

11. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Rather more expensive if you leave your own car at home and then fork out money for a hire car... :D

12. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    3,000 miles is 111 gallons (504 litres) @ 27mpg.

Is it worth buying a different car for that?

13. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    On these kind of trips, I easily get an average of 28mpg over the whole trip. Let's optimistically say that with a diesel you'd get an average of 35mpg. That's about a 20 percent fuel consumption difference (remember mpg is logarithmic, not linear - it's roughly the difference between 10 liters per 100 km and 8 liters per 100 km).

You'd save somewhere between 40-60 pounds over the total of this 3000 mile trip. Hardly worth changing cars for, less than half the price of a single night in a decent hotel.

14. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
    So you fancy a change of car then? :p

15. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L
    Well, this post has generated a lot more replies than I had first anticipated, so thanks everyone.

My car is not very reliable for some reason, it has 145k on the clock, and I want to upgrade soon. So I'm not changing car especially for THIS road trip, its more a choice between changing before the road trip or after. I bought a S500 as I wanted a powerful car, but since I live in London, I can never actually use all this power, nor do I ever need it. So I'm thinking of just getting a S320L/S350L. This way, if I find one with all the extras that 500s have as standard, I will have the same car but with less power and (maybe) better fuel consumption.
    I don't really want to hire a car. Originally the plan was while I was in Poland, to get the car converted to LPG so the return trip will be cheaper! But I can't be bothered now!!!

Bobby Dazzler:
    I plan to go through France, Belguim, Holland, Germany, Poland, Croatia, Czech republic, Austria, Italy, (through France again), Spain and then back through France once more to get back to the U.K.

Mactech: What vehicle gave you that reading?

MBManInKen: I have never got over 30mpg from my 500. Do you drive very carefully for that? I remember my last trip to Glasgow, I got 28mpg max. That was driving at a careful 80mph.

P.S I've had the car around 9 months and since I've had it I've spent over £2000 in repairs on it! That doesn't include servicing etc.
    Lovely cars but I'm afraid what I have experienced is, buy as new as possible! Thats why I wish to upgrade.

16. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Well, I live in London too but don't drive very often in Central London where I live - what's the point of driving in Central London, the average speed is less than 10mph.

So, the car usually takes me straight out of London. If it's about driving in London, you're not going to save much as in town stop and start traffic gives bad fuel consumption on all models.

80mph? Surely not, the speed limit is 70mph IIRC :rolleyes:. I don't do anything special, although my car has the ZAS option which should offer an additional 7-15% saving. On a motorway the 500 will be doing only just over 2000rpm... I don't so anything special to consume less fuel and I drive pretty briskly.

But then you should have ensured you got a car in good condition. I haven't spent a penny in addition to maintenance. But as I keep saying: the problem with these flagship cars is that people are blinded by the low purchase price, then don't want to stump up the money to keep them in good condition. As a result, they degrade and become money pits. When buying them, always have a full inspection carried out and get a full warranty with them...

Buy one that is in pristine condition and well maintained and with full maintenance records.

And never, ever, buy an s-class in the expectation that it will be a cheap car to run.

17. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L

You know, you're spot on. When I bought the car, I rushed, paid too much and now am suffering. But the thing I need to know is:
    Should I spend money on this one to fix up all the problems?
    Or should I "quit while I'm ahead" and upgrade to a better car with lower mileage and as it will be newer, it will have the upgraded comand and various styling features. Also since I now know what to look for, if I get a newer one, I will check for these issues.

I'm in two minds.......:confused:

18. Mactech

Car:
    Here is my 2007 S320 CDI 'econolimo' which gave 53mpg. I admit I was trying to be frugal on that trip, but the car has done a genuine 43mpg over the last 4000 miles.:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  19. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    But if you don't have the money for the repair of the airmatic suspension, where is the money going to come from to upgrade? :confused:

If you intend to sell your 2000 car for enough money to buy you a, say, 2003 or 2004 car, then the only 03/04 car you're going to get for that money is another badly maintained one with galactic mileage... And the V8 5L cars is not going to sell quick if you want a decent price and certainly not when it's in disrepair to begin with!

20. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L

No offence is meant by this whatsoever, but I just DO NOT like the newer model S class! It just looks strange IMO. Plus I'm probably not as rich as you so only a 220 is on my cards!

Still I'm thinking (roughly) a 04 S320L with around 70-80k with FMBSH will be more my kind of thing.

In response to MBManInKen, london is a car unfriendly city, but when you've got kids to cart around and a nattering wife, an s class is (IMO) the best car to have. Plenty of room and perfect handling.

I know the 5.0 V8 is not going to sell quick (but I do intend to repair it first) AND I know that I will have to put in another 3/4 grand to get a better 03/04 car. But is this better then keeping my original 500 and fixing it.

Mine doesn't LOOK bad for a 8 year old car

Attached Files:

Tags: