A diesel S class????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ackee911, Jan 1, 2009.

1. eGuru

eGuru Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320cdi, S204 C180
    I am not much of a fan of the W221 but I have to say Mactech's car does look good!

2. MBManInKen

MBManInKen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Neither does mine :D - here is the pic posted by John after the Torquay GTG in August:

[​IMG]

3. Mactech

Mactech Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLE 350d AMG Line, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5, Honda VFR1200
    None taken! My car was bought to work well as I spend my time in the driving seat looking from it, not looking at it. Couldn't give a monkey's what others think as long as it's the right car for me. Image was at the very bottom of my list. It must be technically correct for me.:eek:
    You must decide what would work best for you!:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. Mactech

Mactech Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLE 350d AMG Line, Land Rover Defender, Mazda MX~5, Honda VFR1200

5. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Cheers, I'm sure it will wear well. :D

After all, my next s-class will be a W221 too ;).

6. OP
    OP
    ackee911

ackee911 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L
    So ermmm to get back to the subject. Which model is "better" S350L or S320L. And is there a real power difference? Can you actually feel it when cruising about? I mean a luxury car is not meant to be hammered around everywhere is it

Oh and petrol or diesel?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  7. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    If you look at the technical data, the S350 is a bit quicker for 0 to 100 km/h, 7.3 seconds for the S350 and 7.8 for the 320CDI (don't know why but it used to be 7.5 seconds). Both do 250 km/h top speed.

I have not tried an S350 (I have tried an S500) but I assume the S320CDI would feel more powerful at normal (civilized) driving because it gives more power at lower engine rpm. Actually the E320CDI gives the same power and acceleration as an S500 for the first gear and up to a decent rpm (while going for higher rpm, both the S350 and S500 give higher power).

Of course a gasser runs more silently, specifically if observed from outside of the car (even if modern CDIs have improved a lot).

I believe fuel economy and the local fuel cost are important factors when comparing the two.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Just to balance the books, I think the W221 looks great and Mactech's in particular due to the wheels and lowth.

9. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
    Me too, I love that car. The back seats in the long wheels base version are also awesome, such a nice all round car.

10. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    Diesel is much cheaper than petrol in France and some other countries in Europe.

The 320cdi has bags of grunt for all normal purposes.

I did about 25k miles in my S320cdi and on a run it always averaged 35-37 mpg if measured tankful to tankful when cruising reasonably briskly on the continent.

Two out of every 3 S class sales in UK are diesel so that will give you most choice. Big quality improvements -including full galvanising- came with 2003 production onwards.

The diesel depreciates far less than the petrol versions and costs less to service.

Wonderful car to drive. Magic carpet ride and feels much smaller and more agile than any large car should. Loved it.

I prefer the SWB version to look at and to own. Parking the LWB is more of a problem as none of the car parks round here are designed for much bigger than a C class. Don't use rear seats very often and most of the difeerences are in the back so of no great value to me. As What Car said: Buy the LWB if you like to be driven; buy the SWB if you like to drive'.
    But, let's face it both are superb.

The 220 series are great value now and have some advantages over the 221 series.

The straight six 320cdi in the 220 series is beautifully mated with the 5 speed box which is plenty for a diesel as it has enough torque to amaze you. Not as quiet as the V6 in the 221 series, which even when cold has almost no diesel clatter at all. Even standing outside the car some will think it is a petrol; it is so quiet and so smooth. Even with the bonnet open. But it is no quicker. Silky smooth though. Great value now as are all big cars.

Bi Xenon lights, Walnut trim, parktronic, memory seats, 6xCD changer and telephone pre-wiring are for me the essentials.

Use the search engine on the MB website to get approved used (full 12 month guarantee) and only buy if full MB service history.
    Good luck

11. Uberwagon

Uberwagon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 500E
    If you are doing the trip for enjoyment, then keep the V8.

I did 3160 miles in 3.5 days a while back in the 500. I spent 750 on fuel with the mileage in the low 20s. I spent some time doing silly speeds when it was appropriate and enjoyed every single minute. I didn't do it to see what mileage I could get, it was a trip the V8 is designed for imo.

If youy are doing the trip because of necesity, then get a diesel.

Dave!

12. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    You can drive just a fast and exceed just as many speed limits in the S320cdi as you can in the 500. Both do speeds none of us will use. But the diesel will do it all at lower revs and in a far more relaxed way. If you are going for pleasure take the diesel. And you will save too. Nice bonus.

13. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    What a load of twaddle, the pleasure in the S500 is magnificent. Each to their own after all. :rolleyes:

14. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    I would always choose a big V8 for plesure!

A diesel would be for a daily workhorse :)

15. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Which hardly constitutes a financial argument for this trip :rolleyes: - the fuel saving would be more in the region of 120 pounds over a 3000 mile trip. That's not going to cost the financial losses incurred in the swap for the OP.

In any event, according to this table by the AA, of the 52 European countries listed Diesel is cheaper in only 16 of them. Of the countries the OP lists for his trip, Diesel is only cheaper in 4, with same price or more expensive in 5 of them.

Changing cars is going to cost the OP a considerable amount of money, i.e. thousands of pounds. There is going to be no return for that money based on saving 120 quid on this road trip and otherwise use mainly in London as per above descriptions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  16. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    The 350 came out in Oct 2002 with the face lift model. I noticed that you have the face lift front lights on your 8 year old 320. Did you do the upgrade ?

17. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L
    Like I said earlier, I'm NOT changing the car for the trip. As MY car is not very reliable, I'm thinking of getting a newer one. Which car in the s class range is the best all-rounder.
    Take into account, you can never use ALL the power of a V8 unless you go on a track, and the difference between petrol and diesel will never be much due to the driving I usually do. I mean this road-trip is for fun and happens once a in blue moon, but I use the car 3/4 times a week for suburban driving. Not sure if a 3.2 diesel and a 5.0 petrol will change the contents of my wallets from coins to notes.

The 5.0 V8 is not breaking my wallet in terms of fuel costs at the moment, and the reason I picked a 500 was because I laughed at the idea of a diesel luxury car (this was when I knew nothing about mercedes cars). I average in town, between 14-15mpg if I drive quickly and 17-18 if I drive conservatively.

18. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L

1) Its not a 320, its a 500! ;)
    2) No, I bought the car like that. It has updated lights all around for some reason.

19. MBManInKen

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    You still miss the point that even so, the changeover will cost you a considerable amount of money, especially since you're talking about swapping your older S500 for a facelifted, newer S350 or S320CDI. And before you can do the swap, you'll need to fix the S500 otherwise you're certainly not going to get any money for it.

An s-class is a flagship top executive limousine, not a family all-rounder car. If you need something to cart around the family in comfort, go for an e-class estate or an r-class - the latter does not seem very popular, so you might be able to pick it up relatively cheap.

The s-class comes to its own in the bigger engined, LWB models, that is really where it lives up in full to its flagship reputation.

If you still want an s-class, and you want to consider the fuel economy, go for a petrol S280, S320 or facelifted S350. The Diesel will cost you more to buy, will have more potential reliability problems and with your driving profile you won't get a return on the higher investment in terms of running costs.

Whatever s-class you go for, it will be noticeably more expensive to run than, say, a b-class or c-class. Horses for courses.

20. OP
    OP
    ackee911

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz S500L

I understand exactly what you're saying. But I am stuck on an s class now. I will not buy any other car. MY S class has reliability issues. So whether I'm making this trip or not, I will have to change it for another car soon. Which is why I am asking for the best all-rounder in the s class range. The 600 is the highest model, but I will never need that kind of power! However the lowest "spec" I can get in the LWB range, is a 320.

AND... I know I will have to fork out around £1000 on repairs and then another £3/4000 to get a newer car. But is that not a small price to pay for a more reliable car which will last longer then my existing one?

Tags: