A diesel S class????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AND... I know I will have to fork out around £1000 on repairs and then another £3/4000 to get a newer car. But is that not a small price to pay for a more reliable car which will last longer then my existing one?

You're asking someone to predict the future for you.

Would bringing your current car cost more than 4K-5K (1K repairs +3/4K extra cost for a newer one) to bring it back to proper health and keep it that way across the period you'll have the newer car? And that assumes that you'll go out and buy one that is perfect, which is a gamble at best. Even so, it's hard to see why your current car would rack up that kind of expense - I haven't spent a penny on mine beyond standard maintenance.

You're asking someone to predict the future for you.

Would bringing your current car cost more than 4K-5K (1K repairs +3/4K extra cost for a newer one) to bring it back to proper health and keep it that way across the period you'll have the newer car? And that assumes that you'll go out and buy one that is perfect, which is a gamble at best. Even so, it's hard to see why your current car would rack up that kind of expense - I haven't spent a penny on mine beyond standard maintenance.

Good logic. Maybe its just me. I want EVERYTHING to be perfect and that will never be the case in a used car. What mileage has your car done? And has yours got FMBSH? Sounds like yours has been well looked after, and mine wasn't. Thing is I have an aftermarket warranty with autoprotect, so some of the things that are wrong with my car can be fixed under warranty.

Just to name a few:
  • Noisy camshaft causing a knocking noise
  • CD changer not working
  • COMAND temperamental
  • Alarm not working as it should
  • Soft-close driver door not working
  • Side mirror not moving as it should
  • Strange noise when I go over speed bumps (which is every 20 metres in london)
Other things that I would've liked to have are things like (which if i buy a newer car i will make sure have)
  • The newer DVD based widescreen COMAND
  • Better convenience options e.g. mirrors to fold when car off etc
  • Keyless go (I know its a gimmick, but desriable)
To get the car to full health will cost around £2/3000. But there's no guarantee that the car will be fine then. When the steering fluid leaked and the crankshaft sensor went, I told the mechanic to look over the whole car and make sure nothing else was on its way out. Impossible he said, there's too many things that could go wrong and it will take days to check everything.

Lord, help me:crazy:

If you feel that the 500 that you have bought is a bit of a lemon then sell it and buy another car, it's done plenty of miles and doesn't sound particularly well maintained so get rid.

Whether you should buy petrol or diesel is a personal choice. I have just bought my first diesel, having been forced into crappy diesel company cars some years ago I swore I would never buy one myself. BUT, big diesel engines make sense in big cars/4X4. Resale is easier, fuel efficiency is better and I'm finally beginning to understand torque!

Which hardly constitutes a financial argument for this trip :rolleyes: - .

PCP the fuel. Twaddle talker. That way, they give you it and money as well.

The OP could make a profit from this yet?:D

I think.:)

Ps, Twaddle is such a good word.:eek:

Why, yes, and perhaps he could also inquire about their Northern Rock savings package... :D

!

I have a sea view apartment block in Montana you might be interested in. The US is very good value, and its hidden away in a small town called Billings.

Send no money now, but only interested parties who have a desire to see their money grow quickly should contact me, Those who wish to keep tucking away a bit for their retirement should not call.

1) Its not a 320, its a 500! ;)
2) No, I bought the car like that. It has updated lights all around for some reason.

The 500 was face lifted in Oct 2002 as well + you have quad exhausts without the cut out rear bumper :( :(

The 500 was face lifted in Oct 2002 as well + you have quad exhausts without the cut out rear bumper :( :(

Yeah someone mentioned it may have been crashed and repaired, so thats why its all updated, but the hpi is totally clear so :confused: . I sure hope it isn't crashed/repaired. Otherwise I may have to kill the guy who sold it to me.

The quad exhausts are just exhaust tips :(.

Why did you think it was a 320?

Even diesel V8s?
Easy now!:)

BTW have you driven the 4 litre MB diesel. It is just amazing. A........mazing.

BTW I'm in no way anti petrol. Loved them all my life. And never wanted diesel very much till got the S320cdi. It really is a great drive. And the 221 series is even more refined. To have a car that size and regularly return high thirties mpg is very pleasing. And I found the performance (0-62 in 7.5 according to What Car and Autocar and a top speed of around 150mph) plenty in modern traffic. And what is nice about the diesel -seriously- is the way it delivers loads of grunt while keeping the revs way down. At 70 ish it was doing 2,000 revs. Lovely.

People do update the lights to make the car look, well, more up to date. Not necessary means that it has been in an accident.

BTW have you driven the 4 litre MB diesel.

No, I wish you could have it in the Vito.

Brabus put a 6.1 litre petrol V8 in the Viano, so it must be possible.

I did not reed your first thread properly. Yes i upgraded the rear lenses on my old 320L.

Which is almost the same as the S500 :rolleyes:.

a fairness point here. The deisel won't be eating as much fuel at this rpm tho.

I guess the OP is wanting someone to tell him get rid of the car (as clearly he is not happy with it) and offer him words of wisdom about the virtues of satan fuelled tractor engined machinery, against the sweet sounding powerhouse of a V8!

Being of unsound mind as I am, perhaps I may offer different way to answer it.

Both engines will suit this car, and both engines have good points and bad points, however, I should imagine the whole life costs of either are not that much different. So the way I see it is, if you get rid of the current motor, the answer to what you buy will be which car you see being traded, that makes you feel best the day you see it.

Look for both, try both and buy the V8 as it will be about £10k cheaper as nobody is buying them. But buy the deisel if thats the one you feel better in.

Niether are bad cars.

It might be, finances dependant in the current climate, you can get a really good deal on a 1yr old one, or perhaps one of this fabby PCP handbacks filling the market place. I would guess the deisel will command a premium over the petrol.

But for goodness sakes, don't pay cash for it. Buy it with chocolate wrappers or something.

See, unsound mind.

All this has made me weary about my car! Crashed and repaired? Not according to the hpi, but it could've been off the record. Which may also explain why it breaks down like a beauty queen.

:eek: :crazy: :(

a fairness point here. The deisel won't be eating as much fuel at this rpm tho.

Quite right - when it comes to fuel economy, the diesel always wins. However, I was responding to the issues around the "pleasure" of the drive, the grunt available, etc...

I guess the OP is wanting someone to tell him get rid of the car (as clearly he is not happy with it) and offer him words of wisdom about the virtues of satan fuelled tractor engined machinery, against the sweet sounding powerhouse of a V8!

Hmmm, you might be right there - do you think that is where we keep going wrong? Telling people not what they want to hear? :devil:

But for goodness sakes, don't pay cash for it. Buy it with chocolate wrappers or something.

:D :D :D

And nowadays I would always choose the diesel. Both for pleasure and as a great workhorse. V8's will probably disappear altogether in the next ten years?

I think there will always be a market for the big petrol V8. Perhaps with the rise of the hydrogen fuel cell there will be more petrol left for those still wiling to play with the big engines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom