A fable for the fuel protesters ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Seen on Facebook today - mods. please feel free to delete if considered inappropriate.

One crisp winter morning in Sweden, a cute little girl named Greta woke up to a perfect world, one where there were no petroleum products ruining the earth. She tossed aside her cotton sheet and wool blanket and stepped out onto a dirt floor covered with willow bark that had been pulverized with rocks. “What’s this?” she asked

“Pulverized willow bark,” replied her fairy godmother.

“What happened to the carpet?” she asked.

“The carpet was nylon, which is made from butadiene and hydrogen cyanide, both made from petroleum,” came the response.

Greta smiled, acknowledging that adjustments are necessary to save the planet, and moved to the sink to brush her teeth where instead of a toothbrush, she found a willow, mangled on one end to expose wood fibre bristles.

“Your old toothbrush?” noted her godmother, “Also nylon.”

“Where’s the water?” asked Greta.

“Down the road in the canal,” replied her godmother, ‘Just make sure you avoid water with cholera in it”

“Why’s there no running water?” Greta asked, becoming a little peevish.

“Well,” said her godmother, who happened to teach engineering at MIT, “Where do we begin?” There followed a long monologue about how sink valves need elastomer seats and how copper pipes contain copper, which has to be mined and how it’s impossible to make all-electric earth-moving equipment with no gear lubrication or tires and how ore has to be smelted to a make metal, and that’s tough to do with only electricity as a source of heat, and even if you use only electricity, the wires need insulation, which is petroleum-based, and though most of Sweden’s energy is produced in an environmentally friendly way because of hydro and nuclear, if you do a mass and energy balance around the whole system, you still need lots of petroleum products like lubricants and nylon and rubber for tires and asphalt for filling potholes and wax and iPhone plastic and elastic to hold your underwear up while operating a copper smelting furnace and . . .

“What’s for breakfast?” interjected Greta, whose head was hurting.

"Fresh, range-fed chicken eggs,” replied her godmother. “Raw.”

“How so, raw?” inquired Greta.

“Well, . . .” And once again, Greta was told about the need for petroleum products like transformer oil and scores of petroleum products essential for producing metals for frying pans and in the end was educated about how you can’t have a petroleum-free world and then cook eggs. Unless you rip your front fence up and start a fire and carefully cook your egg in an orange peel like you do in Boy Scouts. Not that you can find oranges in Sweden anymore.

“But I want poached eggs like my Aunt Tilda makes,” lamented Greta.

“Tilda died this morning,” the godmother explained. “Bacterial pneumonia.”

“What?!” interjected Greta. “No one dies of bacterial pneumonia! We have penicillin.”

“Not anymore,” explained godmother “The production of penicillin requires chemical extraction using isobutyl acetate, which, if you know your organic chemistry, is petroleum-based. Lots of people are dying, which is problematic because there’s not any easy way of disposing of the bodies since backhoes need hydraulic oil and crematoriums can’t really burn many bodies using as fuel Swedish fences and furniture, which are rapidly disappearing - being used on the black market for roasting eggs and staying warm.”

This represents only a fraction of Greta’s day, a day without microphones to exclaim into and a day without much food, and a day without carbon-fibre boats to sail in, but a day that will save the planet.

Tune in tomorrow when Greta needs a root canal and learns how Novocain is synthesized.

Whatever anyones personal views, the low life’s getting kicks out of encouraging social media pile ons against young people is just one step up from paedos in my book. The fact that they also usually post complete cobblers doesn’t help their case much either😉

You’re welcome……

Whatever anyones personal views, the low life’s getting kicks out of encouraging social media pile ons against young people is just one step up from paedos in my book.
What does that mean? I don’t use social media so I’m struggling to work it out.

What does that mean? I don’t use social media so I’m struggling to work it out.
You would struggle to work out most of that members posts. Clarity of thought and expression is not their strong point.

My loverly wife often creates culinary dishes "from nature" as it's got to be good for me.
Of course that ignores many aspects of the journey to the plate, or the plate.

But when I fart and exclaim "it's from nature so it must be good for you" she doesn't appreciate the sentiment.

The moral is that we can't pick and choose which parts of 'from nature' we will allow.

Still the root cause is conveniently ignored by many. Too many people competing for resources.

Problem is we seem to have lost the ability to discuss issues in a calm and logical manner, the most vocal seem to want freedom of speech only as long as it echo's their narrative. We seem to be regressing to the days when the church dictated the narrative and science struggled to be heard. Progress indeed.

Problem is we seem to have lost the ability to discuss issues in a calm and logical manner, the most vocal seem to want freedom of speech only as long as it echo's their narrative. We seem to be regressing to the days when the church dictated the narrative and science struggled to be heard. Progress indeed.
^ This is certainly part of the problem, and social media providing almost every idiot on the planet a megaphone through which to spout, has much to answer for in that respect.

Another significant part is that those who ought to know better (e.g. "climate scientists") deliberately exaggerate in order frighten people into accepting repressive actions.

As soon as I hear the terms "the science is settled" or "climate emergency" I know that I'm about to be subjected to further hyperbolic claptrap.

Problem is there is an awful lot of money in the whole climate crisis topic, funding for the next scare story is massive.

Me too. I did not want to ask the question in case I was just being thick doooh:dk:
It's not just you. I had to Google it. Although I'm not sure why I made the effort as being a grey and grumpy old fossil this place and a couple of other car-related fora are the nearest to soshul meedya as I get.

In the UK we are talking about reducing 1% of 5% of worldwide CO2 which is not anthropogenic.

The Chinese are replacing our 1% every 3 months with all their new coal-fired power stations.

That's without discussing the importance of CO2 as a necessary plant food.

Reduce CO2 and reduce planetary greening. That means less food.

Why is this debate not allowed, as "the science cannot be challenged"?

In the UK we are talking about reducing 1% of 5% of worldwide CO2 which is not anthropogenic.

The Chinese are replacing our 1% every 3 months with all their new coal-fired power stations.

That's without discussing the importance of CO2 as a necessary plant food.

Reduce CO2 and reduce planetary greening. That means less food.

Why is this debate not allowed, as "the science cannot be challenged"?
I'd say the planet was doing pretty well before we started adding CO2 to the equation? I'm certainly no expert on the subject but common sense says the only reason we need to reduce CO2 is because we've added a shed load of it to the ecosystem. Nobody is talking about eradicating the CO2, but reducing it - as close back to the levels it was at before we interfered.

Whatever anyones personal views, the low life’s getting kicks out of encouraging social media pile ons against young people is just one step up from paedos in my book. The fact that they also usually post complete cobblers doesn’t help their case much either😉

You’re welcome....

Attachments

• 200.gif
    200.gif
    920.8 KB · Views: 27
Experts have lead me to believe that this old earth of ours has heated up and cooled down many times over billions of years, I seem to remember back in the 70s experts saying we were heading for an ice age, experts also said Sadam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction.

We need to be very wary of "experts", somethings are excepted as fact until proven false, have to admit I'm very sceptical of the whole climate crises mantra, what I fully support is stop dumping crap in the oceans, pumping s**t into the air and stop digging out resources from the earth when the material can be recycled first to name a few.

Experts have lead me to believe that this old earth of ours has heated up and cooled down many times over billions of years, I seem to remember back in the 70s experts saying we were heading for an ice age, experts also said Sadam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction.

We need to be very wary of "experts", somethings are excepted as fact until proven false, have to admit I'm very sceptical of the whole climate crises mantra, what I fully support is stop dumping crap in the oceans, pumping s**t into the air and stop digging out resources from the earth when the material can be recycled first to name a few.
Experts get a few things right too. I’ll continue to trust experts, as they know more about their expert subjects than I do, even if it did turn out that there weren’t any WMD to be found.

Excellent post. I read somewhere (can't find the link now ) that achieving IPCC world targets for the reduction in ICE road vehicles would achieve a CO2 reduction which would reduce Global tempreatures by ...... 0.0003 C ! Still, it's creating new technologies and opportunities to make money out of climate change.

Another example of the somewhat discredited 'hockey stick'. 20,000 years is but a flea bite in the passage of time.
For example, the first dinasours lived on Earth about 230 million years ago !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom