A Fencing Brainteaser.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
In part of the garden, we have 1800mm wide picket fencing that needs replacing, so I ordered some more 1800mm picket fencing!

The fencing we have measures 1800mm from the outside edge, pale-to-pale.

However, the fencing we have bought (advertised at 1800mm wide) measures around 1600mm from pale-to-pale, although the horizontal members at the back do measure 1770mm.

There is enough room for us to re-space the pales to achieve an almost 1800mm wide fence, but what should the spacing between each pale be?

The length of the rear members is 1770mm which will be enough for us to replace our existing fencing without any real problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fence%201.jpg

Fence%202.jpg

Fence%203.jpg

Happy fathoming and thanks in advance for participating in the puzzle. :D

Last edited:
A/ Got it! Move all the existing fence posts to the new centers, buy one more 1600 panel to fill in the last big space. Next question. :rock:
B/ Or ,measure 30 mm in from end of top rail, move seven verticle slats each 7.75mm so that the first one edges the pencil line, leave the eighth slat where it is, and from the opposite end do the same, working from that end. Or go back to answer, A.

Last edited:
I would expect panels "1800 wide" to mean that they repeat every 1800 - if you needed a fence 18 m long, you'd need ten panels.

If you use wooden posts which sit "behind" the horizontal bars, then you'd put posts in every 1800 mm, and then attach the panels. In the case of your new panels, there would be a slight gap left. That may or may not be important to you.

Measuring from the outside edge of one pale to the opposite edge of the far one doesn't give a meaningful measurement - you wouldn't be taking into account the gaps which are part of the rhythm.

If the posts are in line, and the panels slot into holes in the posts,

Spacing between each pale be?

50.3 mm is what I get with an overall fence width of 1770mm.

Can you get actual 1800mm panels from another supplier , which will fit without messing about ?

If so , get them , then return the unsuitable ones since they are 'not as described' and 'unfit for purpose' .

buy sufficient extra pales to cover the gaps created by butting the panels together. from the measurements shown I guess that the pales are 80mm wide hence 45mm gap and half an extra pale will go to the end of the horizontal bar

Wanna know if your fence will fit? - ask the panel...:cool:

Wanna know if your fence will fit? - ask the panel...:cool:

No sitting on the fence here . Hit the nail on the head .

Whoever made these ones was thick as two short planks .

Guys, many thanks indeed for the replies. I'm still not 100% sure which way to tackle this.
Peter103, John Jones Jr and CabrioDave provided the sort of answer that I was looking for.

However, in line with the suggestion of our man Flying Haggis, I think I will buy another panel and add a pale to each end to extend the width of each fence.
This would be the easiest solution because the fences are fitted in front of the existing wooden posts and an 50/50 overlap past the horizontal fence members would work well.

For the record, here's the advertised product. LINK. I should have checked, really.

The fencing is more substantial and better constructed than our existing stuff.
The reason I didn't want to return the product is that I spent hours, hand sanding the tops of each pale to get rid of any rough areas before painting.

Thanks once again. :thumb:

Last edited:
Of course , there's no substitute for getting a professional in to do the job ,

and THIS is no substitute for getting a professional in !

https://youtu.be/tEtyk4u5FuM

Last edited:
I'd have made it from scratch, then I'd know it would fit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom