a few more issues im trying to diagnose.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bub2006

Car
w210 e200 estate
Wondering if anyone can help please. My car is a w210 e200 2.0 auto estate. It's recently developed a loud noise which gets worse when engine is revved up. I'm thinking its water pump as there is a bit of water around the pump and the car does make a ticking noise at idle. The car had a bit of a whine which seems to have gone and now replaced by this noise. Also the exhaust seems noisy but no signs of any leaks. It does rattle occasionally and with the low rev hesitation I have could that point to a cat failure? Thanks in advance

A whine evolving into another loud noise sounds like bearings are in the final stages of death! Water pump most likely as you said its leaking. If you take the belt off you will probably feel some play in it, or notchy resistance when you try and spin it!
Might be worth checking the alternator and other pulleys in the same way!

Can't seem to hear it as much if rev the engine when stationary though unless engine drowns it out. Only other thing I can think of would be gearbox but it changes smoothly with no lurched of slips. Will have to whip belt off tomorrow. Doesn't overheating yet. Goes to just over 80 in traffic on gauge.

Can't seem to hear it as much if rev the engine when stationary though unless engine drowns it out. Only other thing I can think of would be gearbox but it changes smoothly with no lurched of slips. Will have to whip belt off tomorrow. Doesn't overheating yet. Goes to just over 80 in traffic on gauge.

Could it be worn bushes on aux belt tensioner shock? If yours has one.

Just checked it out. The belt is worn,the tensioner seems to turn freely,no notches felt as is the alternator. The power steering pump feels a bit more stiff but still rotates. The water pumpy doesn't rotate freely if I spin it but it don't feel rough? When looking round the car I noticed a bit of a leak at the drivers side rear of the auto sump pan so think the seal has gone and need to attempt an atf change and rubber seal replacement. Oh the joys

Does anyone here live in nottingham it the area who wouldn't mind having a listen to see what it could be? I'm stumped!

Oh ok. No harm in asking. The car is still in use,just an annoyance that I can't find the noise

Oh ok. No harm in asking. The car is still in use,just an annoyance that I can't find the noise

Try a long screw driver on alternator and near other pullys while running with it on your ear as it acts like a stethoscope to help you pin point the noise.

Tried that. Can't find anymore noise than usual. As I said I know the water pump or a pipe has a small leak,but the rattling noise comes when pulling off but can't be heard in the car,can't be heard when stationary and throttle applied.

Tried that. Can't find anymore noise than usual. As I said I know the water pump or a pipe has a small leak,but the rattling noise comes when pulling off but can't be heard in the car,can't be heard when stationary and throttle applied.

Loose exhaust heat plates?

Thank you. I never thought of that. I had the thought that if something was loose would show when revved at idle but is a chance it could be the movement of engine/exhaust when pulling away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom