A few questions about my CLK - New owner unsure of things (W208)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
Hi all,

Got a CLK recently, - 6 Speed Tiptronic Box.

I need to clear a few questions up.

When I start the car in the morning first thing after the car has not been driven all night, To engage the gear I press the brake and put the box into reverse.

When I do this the screen says R --> 0, and then the screen states Apply Brakes!, Followed by Select Gear again.

I can do this a good four - six times and then the car will engage into Reverse / 1st / Auto

once its in gear it can sometimes go back to neutal telling me to reapply the brakes and try again, but after that its perfect all day when I come to the car at the end of the day, and I do not get the problem again.

Could this be as simple as a brake switch?

Or do I have a serious box fault?

This is only in the morning / cold.

Thanks all for your help with this.

pics... does the site host or do i need to use an external?

thanks

You can attach , or use a host like Photobucket.

Nope , not seen that either ....

Uh oh, is this good or bad news? LOL

Do you think the prob I get is a brake switch, how you think it looks?

Little dirty, and dark so nnot the best of shots.

Edit:

Also, when bringing it home I got about 30MPG on the computer, now im getting between 14-22 on the computer onboard, doing usually short trips but engine does warm up but its like mostly city driving not motorway driving.

are these denso iridium plugs any good? worth doing? or if it aint broke dont fix it?

Hmmmm ...

I get better MPG than that in my 430 and that's just pottering around town , and the occasional traffic light grand prix ...

Can you post up your VIN for 5 minutes so we can have a look at the datacard , then take it down straight away , you don't want your VIN floating round on the net.

VIN is in under the windscreen on passenger side.

I stick with whatever plugs MB recommend.

No not seen that on a W208 before, I seem to remember they had something like that on the A class, but not sure.

I have a feeling that this box was never offered in the UK, my money is on an import.

Bit worried about posting all that stuff up on the web is it perfectly safe?

I can get the datacard, its on the last page of the service manual...

Where do you check it againist if you dont mind me asking.

... I'm worrying regarding the MPG and i;ve just realised one thing, I dont get the Emissions light come on when i turn the key, either the bulb has gone or its been pulled to cover something, but I would expect it to say 1 Malfunction or similar on the computer screen thingy...?

Have had a BAS/ESP light once, that never came back and also a speed tronic error that never came back...

should i be worried or not? I'm slightly worried, I just need someone who knows their stuff local to me to give it a good once over...

I did thing its either speed sensor or brake switch or worst case a duff..

Last edited:
it would be a good idea to get someone to read the error codes in the ecu's. Where are you located?

No not seen that on a W208 before, I seem to remember they had something like that on the A class, but not sure.

I have a feeling that this box was never offered in the UK, my money is on an import.

You may be right. But still its not the standard mercedes setup for the automatic boxes ( i.e No Park, has the A and the way its all positioned) , surely this stays the same would not really be changed even if its sold in another country?

Also ive never heard of Mercedes 6-speed automatic transmissions. I may be wrong but did they ever make a 6 speed auto? I know they do 6-speed manuals.

A quick look on google and i found this site and alot of the advertised mercedes have 6 speed auto boxes, including a 2003 clk in Howards Burgundy! The gear stick looks like normal on all these as well...

http://demo.powersellautos.com/carlisting.php?make=15

Last edited:
First registered in Feb 01, doesnt seem like an import to me, however cant be sure, however i called up merc about it and they had radio codes and service history on their computers, would that show up on an import?

The datacard off that site will show you the supplying dealer ... UK or abroad ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom