a few questions from a newbie 1995 e300d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petseno

Car
e300
i have a few problems with my new to me mb e300d first off i have been stalking on here for quit some time and decided to dive in with some questions

#1 my e300d glow plug light is wierd it will not come on untill after a minute and stays on for a minute and goes out but car will not start unless some fluid is sprayed into the intake i have checked the glow plugs and a couple are bad and i am checking the relay and read that it should show battery voltage for 20 seconds (mine shows battery volyage as long as the key is on

#2 the temp gauge does not move at all and i was wanting to find out how to test the system for a soultion

#3 my fuel gauge is not acurate it is empty when it shows about 3/8 tank (ie between 1/4 and 1/2 tank ) i dont know where it stops when i fill it because i have never filled it all the way up thinking i might have to remove it to fix the gauge by the way the tank is located right behind the rear seat

You can test the outputs of the glow plug relay by pulling the plug off the side and using a meter. This will tell you if the relay is OK or not

There's more than one connection to the relay - there's a heavy permanent connection, a feed to the dash indicator and a trigger feed. I think the heater timing may be temperature-sensitive as well - check a wiring diagram

The glow plugs stay on after the engine starts for 30-60 seconds to help warm up

The glow plug light comes on after starting to tell you there is a problem, which is normally one or more failed glow plugs

The binnacle gauges can be temperamental. Test the temp sender to see if it's OK. If it is, and the wiring is good, the fault is in the binnacle. Ditto fuel gauge but the sender can get clogged with gluey muck on the diesels

I think you need to get out your meter & wiring diagram for a bit of basic fault-finding

Nick Froome

yes i have checked i have a few bad glow plugs and plan on changing them

the relay on the other hand when tested with the key on it is giving battery volts to all glow plugs all the time never quits and the glow plug light on dash does not come on for sixty seconds and stay on for sixty seconds but then goes out and the relay keeps battery volts the whole time to the glow plugs and still no start till i spray either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom