A few questions regarding an upcoming new purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SlapNutz

Car
CLS350 Shooting brake
Hi gentlemen

About to purchase my first merc and had a few questions, I am quite set on the cls350d shooting brake 2015 onwards. I have found one but it is 2017 year and has 120k miles on it which i have a feeling is mostly long journey miles as for that age not sure how you would rack up those kind of miles on local journeys unless you are mad.? It has full Mercedes service history clean car coming from a reputable dealer.

What is you guys input please any info would be appreciated as to what to look out for or weather to go for it or not. Some might ask what price its around it at16k with the above numbers and is a premium plus model.

Kind regards
Slapz

I guess the one other possibility is that is has been used as a taxi or uber with that millage?

120,000 miles at only 4 years old should get you the car for very very cheap.

If you don't do a lot of miles annually, and plan on keeping the car for say 4 or 5 years at least, buying it can actually be a good deal.

By the time you are ready to sell it will have average miles for the age and you'll get a good price for it (for the age).

You will be looking at new engine mounts , a gearbox atf and filter change and probably some front suspension parts immediately, so factor that lot into your costs

I guess the one other possibility is that is has been used as a taxi or uber with that millage?
Yes totally slipped my mind that did...based on that it would of had alot of stop start. In double minds now.
You will be looking at new engine mounts , a gearbox atf and filter change and probably some front suspension parts immediately, so factor that lot into your costs
Thank you, all the above work I can do myself comfortably. I'm more concerned about the engine wear and tear the longevity with the above specs and numbers. Also I can pick up c220d's at much lower mileage and better prices. I can always gave it remapped to bring some power back up but question is in a cls SB 350 or 220. Are 220 okay as well? Or best to get a 350 in a cls.

Regards
slapz

Yes totally slipped my mind that did...based on that it would of had alot of stop start. In double minds now.

Thank you, all the above work I can do myself comfortably. I'm more concerned about the engine wear and tear the longevity with the above specs and numbers. Also I can pick up c220d's at much lower mileage and better prices. I can always gave it remapped to bring some power back up but question is in a cls SB 350 or 220. Are 220 okay as well? Or best to get a 350 in a cls.

Regards
slapz
We have a c220 so a smaller car than a cls but the motor is fine, not fast, not exciting but fine. Ours is a 2019 so I think a newer and slightly more powerful motor than a 2017 but I'm sure that is fine too.

Also, don't forget the 250 which is in the middle in terms of performance.

Unless fuel economy is a priority you will still buy the 350 though 😂

You're in London, so with that mileage I would suspect it to be an airport car.
Solid, regular use, at chauffeur speeds

To clock those miles up it wasn't taking people from inner London the Heathrow or Gatwick, (so less stop start journeys,) it was likely to have been for people like me from 70 to 100 miles away into one of the London airports.
That means 70-ish all day long , well maintained (though see below) as it was someone's livelihood.

The 'see below' is why its up for sale now - those ladies and gents have seen their income decimated and hence last 12 months mileage and service history will be what to look at.....

Front passenger seat may never have been sat in.....

There has been a few E classes, A6/A8's and 7 series down this way in the market (all big diesels with big miles, but big services histories) and in fabulous condition as people held on but in the end could not hold on for the Business flights to airports or Cruisers returning

I se you are in London so Something to bear in mind is the ULEZ LEZ and Congestion charge :eek:. Check out what you are buying as in October the rules change and it can cost you dear, i think you need a 2016 onwards to not pay the charges, so check that out :wallbash: I think it best to put your own starship mileage on, buying it cheap can cost you dear in repairs and you still have the high mileage, i always think buy the best you can and when you sell it you will get more of your money back ( Hopefully ) it may be motorway miles but its still miles. Good luck with the hunt and let us know how you get on with your purchase and pictures.

Hi gentlemen

About to purchase my first merc and had a few questions, I am quite set on the cls350d shooting brake 2015 onwards. I have found one but it is 2017 year and has 120k miles on it which i have a feeling is mostly long journey miles as for that age not sure how you would rack up those kind of miles on local journeys unless you are mad.? It has full Mercedes service history clean car coming from a reputable dealer.

What is you guys input please any info would be appreciated as to what to look out for or weather to go for it or not. Some might ask what price its around it at16k with the above numbers and is a premium plus model.

Kind regards
Slapz
Hi , go and drive a really new example of the car and then drive your proposed purchase.

Can you really tell the difference ?

Local stop start driving in a diesel car , not good news.

Mercedes parts are generally expensive

Please let the forum know how you get on.

Get the car inspected by a third party .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom