A Few Quick Questions About Diagnostics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
I have a 2013 W212 E350 Estate (facelift), which has led a very cossetted life with me from new and is sitting with only 21k on the clock. Mileage since lock down has been almost zero and I have two problems.

First, I have an Engine Management Light on, which I'm hoping is the result of having a seriously dead battery that needed replacing. Driving around doesn't turn it off.

Second, I have it telling me no more starts in about 400 miles because of AdBlu, even though I've topped it up wit the proper stuff. I hear that limited usage makes it fur up in the pipes, which gives me visions of all sorts of expense.

I'm not keen on spending £100+ on a diagnostic for someone to turn off the EML. I'm not even very happy about spending the same to tell me what's up with the AdBlu, especially if that's just a reset required instead of some sensor or pump issue. Would a diagnostic even pinpoint such a problem, is it specific enough?

So I'm wondering if a common or garden ODBC scanner is going to be at least good enough to reset the EML and maybe give me some clues about the AdBlu warning, or do I need to cough up for someone to plug in Star Diagnostics?

Does Star Diagnostics allow a software reset of the AdBlu warning (in the best case) or am I almost certainly looking at surgery?

Oh, how I miss the Audi, when I could buy a simple cable for eighty quid, plug it in and see into it's very soul. :confused: But I love the Merc.

Thanks

p.s. It's due a gearbox service at £325 (by an independent, I daren't price it at a dealer). Can anyone tell me what's involved in this? It sounds like an awful lot of labour even if the fluid is pricey.

As for your gearbox service, had my 7g+ oil and filter changed a few weeks back by PCS who are an indi and are on the recommendation list on this site. £200 inc.

Your cheapest option are either iCarsoft MB v2.0 or Carly for Mercedes.

The iCarsoft is more comprehensive but the Carly is easier to use.

The £10 OBDII Bluetooth scanners with the ELM327 chip and Torque app are a nice gimmick but won't help you much in diagnosing or resetting faults on an MB car.

Many thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the MB V2.0 but it doesn't seem to deal with the AdBlue problem. Anybody know one that does?

Hi guys, hope all well,can someone give me link to icarsoft pro contact /website pls.I have w204 and can this work on my wife old Ford Focus 2003 abs pls.I love to buy one as soon as possible thank you in advance.

I have a 2013 W212 E350 Estate (facelift), which has led a very cossetted life with me from new and is sitting with only 21k on the clock. Mileage since lock down has been almost zero and I have two problems.

First, I have an Engine Management Light on, which I'm hoping is the result of having a seriously dead battery that needed replacing. Driving around doesn't turn it off.

Second, I have it telling me no more starts in about 400 miles because of AdBlu, even though I've topped it up wit the proper stuff. I hear that limited usage makes it fur up in the pipes, which gives me visions of all sorts of expense.

I'm not keen on spending £100+ on a diagnostic for someone to turn off the EML. I'm not even very happy about spending the same to tell me what's up with the AdBlu, especially if that's just a reset required instead of some sensor or pump issue. Would a diagnostic even pinpoint such a problem, is it specific enough?

So I'm wondering if a common or garden ODBC scanner is going to be at least good enough to reset the EML and maybe give me some clues about the AdBlu warning, or do I need to cough up for someone to plug in Star Diagnostics?

Does Star Diagnostics allow a software reset of the AdBlu warning (in the best case) or am I almost certainly looking at surgery?

Oh, how I miss the Audi, when I could buy a simple cable for eighty quid, plug it in and see into it's very soul. :confused: But I love the Merc.

Thanks

p.s. It's due a gearbox service at £325 (by an independent, I daren't price it at a dealer). Can anyone tell me what's involved in this? It sounds like an awful lot of labour even if the fluid is pricey.
£325 seems pricey for an independent. Cost usually varies by generation of gearbox but at £325 you’re in main dealer territory I would say.

Maybe the garage performing your gearbox service can read and clear the codes for you - it would be worth asking - they may need to connect to STAR anyway.

Unless there’s a problem with the gearbox, I would find out and repair the issue causing the warning lights before servicing the gearbox.

Hi guys, hope all well,can someone give me link to icarsoft pro contact /website pls.I have w204 and can this work on my wife old Ford Focus 2003 abs pls.I love to buy one as soon as possible thank you in advance.
My MB IcarSoft 2 works just fine on non MB cars. All you do is select OBD on the screen and it reads the codes. I have used mine on 2 Toyotas and a Vauxhall in the past.

OP , I agree with Bobby on the transmission service, sounds a bit expensive. If they can guarantee a full refill including Torque converter and gearbox cooling system drain (around 9 litres) then...maybe..

Wh

Thanks

Whereabouts are you?

I suspect your eml and adblue problem are linked, most replacement of parts on the adblue system would need updating and readapting which might not be possible with aftermarket diagnostics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom