A finishing touch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like what you have. Do you have a price please including postage to Kent? PM me if you prefer.

Thank you. Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce the above poster seems to live in Orpington,Kent. Perhaps you could even collect?

A bit of elbow grease (well Belgom Polish) on the spout and some new (correct) paint on the can. Shiny, shiny. I am like a Magpie forever attracted to shiny things.
6b27b7610c4cb8c914bf354ff33493e4.jpg
8cf69b0dbab225729d878e80112732b9.jpg
5d06bc4c2fb18eb73940a905a61f8c40.jpg
57e112eeae5304b480aafc9deadcc0e5.jpg
0af3b1fc57693df44e22f1cdaa5d573e.jpg

Looking good Bruce. The can is the same colour as my newly purchased one (according to the pics), however it looks like I will have to polish my spout now! Ooo er!! :D

Is that an official colour Bruce??

The tank grey is is the correct Gallinit Grau Code '7-129'. That is the original colour and correct for the tank. Interestingly, (if you are sad like me) this Grey is also used on the inner rear wings/cubbys on the Estate along with the Rear & Front Bumper covers & of course, the sills.

When we were restoring the car we ran into a brick wall attempting to identify the correct code, which is not listed on the Data Card and not held by Mercedes or their Classic Car Center, in Germany. That was until a friend said "you are asking for the wrong part of the car". I was asking what the code was for the bumpers and sills?. When I asked: "What is the code for the inner rear wings" Boom, they had it in a flash.

My car is a 1987 car (no SACO Panels) and many subtle, changes were made to the exterior in 1988/89. These changes made getting hold of some items a nightmare. Just one example. The clips that hold the bump strips around the cars middle? These clips are different side to side at the front and also different front to rear. Different enough that you cannot bodge them. We had to track them down. I struck Gold with David at Maidstone Mercedes, he is a recognised expert at finding parts on these cars, and he did and still does.
ae5afb62a8a8d012977d9ea43c9c93d0.jpg
22f2a6dc0e665d47549a2092c56e5151.jpg
8e6110a9e37e348f1fa6cf8c800771c3.jpg

Your fuel can looks fantastic! I'm now thinking that I need to do the same to mine, where did you get the paint?

Browsing my W168 MB accessories booklet last night, the fuel can was £42.33 and the bolt £3.43 back in 2004. Wish I had bought a few and stashed them away, I've seen new cans going for £400 to £500!

Your fuel can looks fantastic! I'm now thinking that I need to do the same to mine, where did you get the paint?

Browsing my W168 MB accessories booklet last night, the fuel can was £42.33 and the bolt £3.43 back in 2004. Wish I had bought a few and stashed them away, I've seen new cans going for £400 to £500!

The paint can be made up into an aerosol, by any 'decent' paint shop. It should be a silk/satin finish (not gloss). Mercedes themselves can supply the paint if you add the seven ahead of the 129, as in Gallinit Grau Code '7-129' That is the actual MB code. 129 at a normal paint shop should give you the correct colour, just specify that you want a Satin finish. I use 'Kent Paints' www.kentpaints.com they are based near Maidstone on Kent. I have no idea if they do postal orders? but they have a reputation for great paint and colour matching. They charge around £15 for a decent sized can.

I think that there are a few people out there who stockpiled these cans. They do seem to come along in batches on ebay, and usually for silly money. The fitting kits also seem to be getting hard to find these days (as you know).

Let me know if you want any help with the paint.

A rare genuine Mercedes 7.5 litre petrol can. This is designed to fit inside the spare wheel on my 124 Wagon.
06b5b1ba6a8fc6d256161c029f5b3fda.jpg
After a lot of searching I got this from a fellow member on here at a very reasonable price. Now just have to get the retaining bracket made up.
7830a7891c7f7db44358c7d6a829e468.jpg
ca0693b5f2d4defe2d9dc690158e5533.jpg
504196207d5c64f925293073de718d9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats an absolutely beautiful example of a 124, you should be very proud. The last of the truly bullet proof Mercs ..

Rob ...

Rob

Thank you. It's always great when fellow members compliment the car. I see it as a reward for all the hard work and effort that so many people put into her.

True story: Last summer, my wife and I (said in a regal tone) went for a drive in the beautiful sunshine. Stopped in a long queue of traffic, a reasonably scrufty white tarmac transit pulled up alongside us and down came it's windows. The three, rather large looking occupants, burst into a very tuneful version of Janis Joplin's - Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. That was class and we still smile at that, as did the other folks that we could see in the queuing traffic.

Genuine Mercedes Benz circular spare jerrycan - fits W124, W126 and others | eBay

3 days left on the auction Bruce, get in there!!

Possibility it's br1anstorm on here, he posted something about one of these a week ago and said he was putting it on eBay!
Circular jerry-can - fits inside spare wheel

I was successful on bidding on Brians can and it arrived today. Am over the moon with it, and just as Bruce, I now need the fixing kit too, so if anyone knows of one, please do let me know.

Do you think similar result could be achieved on the pout with the use of autosol @brucemillar ??

I know on mod that some of you members have not done . Fixed a grey molded cover on the boot lid ..Something you see every time the lid is lifted..But no good for estates ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom