A first ? - Diesel & Petrol Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
So, for the first time that I can remember a fuel station where the diesel is cheaper than the petrol - just for the record both prices are also decent for around here:

105.9 diesel
106.9 petrol

Shell, Paignton. Elsewhere there is parity or petrol costs more.

Mike

So, for the first time that I can remember a fuel station where the diesel is cheaper than the petrol - just for the record both prices are also decent for around here:

105.9 diesel
106.9 petrol

Shell, Paignton. Elsewhere there is parity or petrol costs more.

Mike

Spooky, I noticed it was the same price at that very same filling station last week.

Give us a clue. Where are you?

I'm in Cheshire. I was actually going back years there, to the days when diesel was much cheaper than petrol. In the early 'nineties, *£1.90-odd versus £2.20-odd as I remember it. That was the pricing structure then. Relatively few diesel cars on the road.

As the proportion of diesel cars grew, the inevitable happened. Then, as the consumption of all cars reduced and fuel purchased per vehicle lowered, the inevitable happened... etc.

* I should say, those are per gallon prices.

Last edited:
Filled up with UL at 97.9p today :D

(OK, it was really 102.9p and I used a 5p off Tesco voucher but the bottom line was I paid *only* 97.9p)

Excellent. Nice to see diesel cheaper than petrol. Makes the pain of the clatter even more fun as it uses less juice and the juice costs less :D

Happens all the time in many European countries - like Spain, France, Belgium -- only in UK does the Govt suddenly realise if everyone switched to diesel they would miss out on revenue so artificially hiked the taxes to try to bring them into parity based on consumption - now we are seeing market forces (i,e. the lack of need of diesel worldwide due to the recession- a summer glut - working its way through prices) - I dont see it lasting.

Oh Shoot - my tank is almost empty..............time for an overdraft...:)

98.9p/l for diesel and 100.9 for ul with the 5p off at tesco around here

Still amazed that noone really gives a :(:(:(:( about the price going up for the 3 time in 8 months...

Still amazed that noone really gives a :(:(:(:( about the price going up for the 3 time in 8 months...

Trouble is - this country is so far in debt - all taxes have to go up - this is just the beginning. It's not just this govt it will be from whoever gets in power next time. No party cares about the motorist - we are easy pickings.

To prove this - it has been admitted that the reason they don't syncronise traffic lights to keep traffic moving is because this would use less fuel and therefore raise less taxes.

........so do you think that Brown played any part in the demise of the economy?

107.9 for petrol from my local Shell

........so do you think that Brown played any part in the demise of the economy?

What a loaded question. Difficult to answer with the level of vehemence needed without upsetting the moderators and slipping into political argument.
Suffice to say ask anyone just about to start drawing on their pension policy's and see what their answers are.

Our local Sainsburys have just started a new promotion of spend £50 instore and get 5p a litre off fuel.
Trouble is that almost exactly the same time they put forecourt prices UP by 3p a litre.
So taking into account those motorists that use the promotion and those that don't, I reckon it will just about even out and their income from fuel sales will remain unchanged from before the promotion. And of course once it ends, its all money in their bin.
So to quote Del boy............Cushty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom