A Ford Mustang thats an SUV and Electric!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Yes you heard right Ford have just brought out an electric SUV and called it a MUSTANG!
Seems many manufacturers are now favouring the SUV as their mainstream rollout E-models?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pony & Trap. Rhyming slang.

History and lineage mean little in these times. They're just a name, a commodity to be milked for profit.

It's the lack of a grill that makes it ugly. Leaving expectations based on the name aside, it would not be bad looking for an SUV if they would put a false grill on it. The dumb mouthless look is going to take some time to get used to. Either that or they need a radically different design that has no place that looks like it should have a grill but doesn't.

Putting to one side the Mustang name being diluted, I do like that and especially in the blue.

It's the lack of a grill that makes it ugly. Leaving expectations based on the name aside, it would not be bad looking for an SUV if they would put a false grill on it. The dumb mouthless look is going to take some time to get used to. Either that or they need a radically different design that has no place that looks like it should have a grill but doesn't.

That would be like putting a chimney on a house with all electric heating. Maybe it should have tailpipes too....
The grilleless front is the 'face' of EVs. Ford have managed to combine recognisable, desirable design cues from the Mustang and with the front as it is have ensured that it will be immediately recognisable as an EV. I'm guessing that was the brief and the designers fulfilled it.

The blue car in the video has a false grille and looks better for it. It's US price is about half that of a Tesla X and in my opinion looks better.

I rather like it, especially with 459hp and 4wd.

As I understand electric cars need very little servicing.

No doubt brakes and tyres will need replacing as normal but no oil changes at £350 a time would be welcome.

As you stated , you still need servicing of brakes , transmission etc , but battery replacement cost is high , charging not always convenient (depending on where you park ) , and due to fears of a growing "battery mountain" there will most likely be the introduction of a disposal fee/tax.

Here's the top performance MACH-e [ for later release] with the more conventional grille.
sokane_191117_3793_5881.jpg

An EV shouldn't need much servicing but you can bet your life it will still be expensive for what it is at a main dealer. I think Tesla have already led the way on that. Other than inspection, brakes aren't even part of current scheduled services and with regenerative braking won't EV's be easy on brakes making them last longer. Do EV's with a motor at each wheel have a gearbox or diff ? What's left to service. Perhaps they'll oil the door hinges.

The interesting aspect will be if the used buyers of EV's still place an exaggerated value on Full Main Dealer Service History when precious little if any servicing is being done that has an impact on the cars longevity.

I believe the power train will be available in 3 configurations if memory serves correctly
1 single large rear motor rwd
2 single large rear motor + single small assist front motor 4wd
3 double large front and rear motors for performance AWD

One criticism of existing or proposed electric offroaders is evidently their lack of a low ratio box or crawler gear ratio meaning its attack or nothing!

The interesting aspect will be if the used buyers of EV's still place an exaggerated value on Full Main Dealer Service History when precious little if any servicing is being done that has an impact on the cars longevity.

Exactly, the only thing i'd like to know is how many DC fast charges it has had as that degrades the battery more than anything

Awful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom