A Free Paintjob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
No I didn't win a prize, or catch the bodyshop manager in a compromising position and blackmail him.

We were painting the house at the weekend. And, it transpires, both the cars as well. Thanks to a windy day and nice flicky brushes we now have a C-class in Azurite Blue and numerous flecks of Dulux Moonglow, plus a Tigra in Dulux Moonglow with occasional spots of British Racing Green.

"No worries" I thought - "luckily I waxed them both only last week and it will all just come off". Hahahaha. No chance, not with Zymol Cleaner Wax, P21 Finesse IT, or T-Cut.

I'm off to the bodyshop tomorrow to get a price for machine-polishing the C-Class. At least it will probably end up looking better for it.

As for the Tigra? Well, another layer of paint will probably make it last a bit longer, but as we are currently considering changing it for a car I think we will have to get it polished as well. Who says you can't polish a ****?

If got stone chips in paintwork then why not claim of insurance and go for full respray if protected NCB... Machine polish will take of layers of paint. :crazy:

Yes, I may end up doing exactly that. I'll see what the bodyshop has to say (after they have stopped laughing).

Don't know how much resprays cost, but the Mercedes is probably worth about £6000 and I got offered £1850 for the Tigra this month. Conceivably the insurance co could write them off!

nickmann said:
Don't know how much resprays cost, but the Mercedes is probably worth about £6000 and I got offered £1850 for the Tigra this month. Conceivably the insurance co could write them off!
For just the outside of the car in the same colour you're talking about a grand or so for a respray. A "full" respray is closer to £4k, but that's when the car has been stripped down to the shell and back to the metal.

you need to use a "fine cut" rubbing compound on the affected areas, slightly more aggressive than T Cut but gentler than wet and dry paper it will polish to a mirror finish which you can then apply a good polish to.

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for your advice. I was prepared to do it myself if it was a quick polish, but once its into cutting compounds and polishing and rewaxing then its off to someone else to do it. Especially as I have 2 cars to do. Purely on a time wasted basis I would rather someone else did it while I continue to paint the house.

I'm going to nip off to the bodyshop now...

Machine polish

If the car's Azurite (or any metallic colour) then a machine polish will be cutting back lacquer and not paint

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I suppose if you paint both cars the same colour as the house you will never find them! :)

Sorry to hear of the problem, you would have thought the domestic paint would have come off easily? Good luck getting them fixed.

John

glojo said:
I suppose if you paint both cars the same colour as the house you will never find them! :)
John

We practically have already John!! What a pity we didn't choose Azurite Blue for the house eh?

I just got back from the bodyshop. £100 per car. He will try with the steamcleaner first, then start with the abrasives!! He will have the Tigra tomorrow to practise on.

nickmann said:
Purely on a time wasted basis I would rather someone else did it while I continue to paint the house.
May I suggest that perhaps you should wait until you've *finished* the house. :p

LOL. She won't be making that mistake again. Ooops. There, I said it.

Try using a cloth with a small amount of thinners on it. Don't rub too hard.

Another option is clay bar.

Dieselman said:
Try using a cloth with a small amount of thinners on it. Don't rub too hard.

Another option is clay bar.

Funny you should say that. I took SWMNBANAPBA's** car in first for them to practice on, and picked it up yesterday and that is exactly what they had done. They used Hammerite brush claeaner and spent 2 days rubbing it all over by hand. Then they re-painted all the plastics.

They tried steam-cleaning it first, then polishing, but came decided that a solvent was kindest.

I have to say it looks squeaky clean now. I will blob some wax on it tomorrow morning and it will be almost ready to sell. Shame they didn't do the inside.

**She Who Must Never Be Allowed Near A Paint Brush Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom