A friend in financial pickle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice info, but it didn't answer the question. What does he do and what are his skills? Is he a manual worker?
he worked for the water board as a labourer, studied hard and became a policeman. Proof all it takes is effort.

He became a Policeman at 60 years old?

Let's not forget, he has a pension to cushion the requirement to earn money, the O/p's friend doesn't.

No he became a policeman at 20. He moved into aerospace at 60. The point is hard work gets you what you want.

No he became a policeman at 20. He moved into aerospace at 60. The point is hard work gets you what you want.

No. The point is that your Fathers situation bears no resemblance to the O/p's friend.
What exactly does your father do in aerospace? Maybe he can get an unqualified 62 year old Carpenter a job.

It's no good lambasting the person in this thread for what he should have done, he needs assistance now. What can you offer?

Last edited:
No. The point is that your Fathers situation bears no resemblance to the O/p's friend.
What exactly does your father do in aerospace? Maybe he can get an unqualified 62 year old Carpenter a job.

Unqualified, but very experienced, probably with a decent work ethic.

quoting for posterity? I have no intention of changing my mind. This is a merc forum not a guilt trip.

quoting for posterity? I have no intention of changing my mind. This is a merc forum not a guilt trip.

Weird. You were saying the person in question hadn't done what he needed to, but not offering any actual help.
He needs solutions, not guilt.

beyond help imho. However your banter makes the m40 less tedious.

What does this mean exactly - 'beyond help'?

As DM has been keen to prove - I have no great interest in the welfare of others.

But for the benefit of converrsation:

My conclusion is that if someone has got to 62 without figuring out that their income is leaving them in an unsustainable position vs their lifestyle without changing it they are unlikely to perform a lazarus style comeback now and have "settled" for whatever comes.

I think that even die-hard capitalists would agree that some sort of social support network should be in place to assist people who are down on their luck and experience financial hardship.

Unfortunately a side effect to any financial system is some people's ability to abuse it both legally and illegally.

However if now the decent hard working people for whom the system was originally invented find it difficult to have access to it, then it makes one wonder whether years of abuse have turned it into a complex system that can be successfully navigated only by the 'professional' loafers who habitually abuse it?

And to redbaron, it sounds to me that the OP's carpenter friend is exactly the type of person and circumstances that social welfare was intended for?

Last edited:
as it is i choose to sit back and laugh. Happy? :)

What could possibly be funny about the old chap's situation ?

Did you also think your grandfather's bankruptcy funny ?

It is not nice to laugh at the misfortune of others ; even my four year old son has been taught that much .

Sorry to hear that ; however death comes to all of us .

I hope he didn't end his days in poverty with no one to help .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom