A frustrating day and partly ECP to blame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
I ordered Pagid front discs, front and rear pads and wear sensors from Euro Car Parts recently and today decided to fit them.

All went well, I quickly had the front caliper and carrier stripped off, cleaned and ready when I unpacked the new pads to find that they are rectangular and the originals are curved and have two small locating lugs either side:wallbash:

I decided to carry on as I was at a friends house not far from the Southampton branch of ECP and could have got a set of the correct pads and sorted out the return of the incorrect ones. When it came to removing the disc retaining screw the next problem arose. I am sure I had the correct bit but the screw was very tight and started to burr so I have left it for now.

Would anyone kindly be able to confirm the correct size and type of bit to remove these screws so I may double check? Also any advice as to how to free them off? I will try WD40, heat, impact driver etc and see if that works but if these techniques fail?

The only saving grace was that the rear brakes were very straightforward and only took approximately 15 minutes per side so not a completely wasted day.:(

those regularly have to be chiselled off, get a couple of new ones from the dealer... an impact driver may or may not do it...

those regularly have to be chiselled off, get a couple of new ones from the dealer... an impact driver may or may not do it...
I already had new ones, so it may be that I need to drill them out and then try to get the rmains out of the hole?

I ordered Pagid front discs, front and rear pads and wear sensors from Euro Car Parts recently and today decided to fit them.

All went well, I quickly had the front caliper and carrier stripped off, cleaned and ready when I unpacked the new pads to find that they are rectangular and the originals are curved and have two small locating lugs either side:wallbash:

I decided to carry on as I was at a friends house not far from the Southampton branch of ECP and could have got a set of the correct pads and sorted out the return of the incorrect ones. When it came to removing the disc retaining screw the next problem arose. I am sure I had the correct bit but the screw was very tight and started to burr so I have left it for now.

Would anyone kindly be able to confirm the correct size and type of bit to remove these screws so I may double check? Also any advice as to how to free them off? I will try WD40, heat, impact driver etc and see if that works but if these techniques fail?

The only saving grace was that the rear brakes were very straightforward and only took approximately 15 minutes per side so not a completely wasted day.:(

Hi mate,

Did you manage to get the correct ones from Southampton?

Do you mind sending me your order number and reg so i can see why you have the wrong pads - There may of been a choice, or maybe our parts lookup was wrong on this one and we can correct it with your help!

I hope everything else went smoothly.

Hi mate,

Did you manage to get the correct ones from Southampton?

Do you mind sending me your order number and reg so i can see why you have the wrong pads - There may of been a choice, or maybe our parts lookup was wrong on this one and we can correct it with your help!

I hope everything else went smoothly.

I spoke with ECP customer services today, a very helpful chap who arranged a returns number told me to order new ones on line, reserve them at Southampton and take the other ones back there. There is no stock of the correct Pagid pads (only £35 before discount as opposed to the £51 for the Pagids I ordered) so I have reserved ATE pads which, with discount work out to be pretty much the same overall as the first ones.

Before I ordered, and because there was a wide range of pads, I did ask ECP for advice and stated I had the standard brake package but in error I got the pads for the Brembo calipers.

It's always frustrating when you get the wrong parts and only realise when the car is on jack stands in pieces. I find gsf the worst for this. There is only one guy in my local gsf who manages to supply the correct parts, the others in there are little more than shaved monkeys. I've taken to buying most theings form the main dealer as at least I only have to do each job once that way.

@ ECP, you're system doesn't seem to work at all for me. Neither of my cars reg numbers work when looking for parts. The system loads the reg then simply tells me any part I look for is not available. entering the car deatils manually, I have to fake it and use incorrect model years etc to get any prices at all. Quite frustrating.

@DSM - I'm glad you got it sorted by Customer service, I'm sorry you got the wrong parts, if you could drop me a PM with your order number & Reg number, I'd like to see where the parts lookup went wrong.

@Milo - it sounds like your reg has a 'bad link' on our parts lookup - this is a quick fix :) - could you also drop me a PM with your reg, and vehicle details, ill check and if necessary get the team to re-link your reg with the correct details - once that's done, the website will then (hopefully) show the correct parts for your vehicle.

I understand its frustrating, but if you send me these details, I can help fix it :)

Hope that helps you all!

@DSM - I'm glad you got it sorted by Customer service/

Hope that helps you all!

Well I got the part numbers in a pm from you;)

"Hi mate, Theres alot of choices but i narrowed it down...

Pads:
Front - 101220738 - £46.99
Rear - 101220358 - £26.99"

Discs -
Front [standard] 104220838 - £39.00ea
Front [Sports pkg] 104221098 - £52.00ea

Rear [no choioces] 104220478 - £31.80ea

Thats a total of:
£215.58 (less 25%) if it has standard discs
£241.58 (less 25%) if it has the sports package

You can find the products on the website using the part numbers above - they are all Pagid, and there all OE quality products.

I'll look into the other parts now.
The UKs Largest, and Fastest Growing Parts Supplier
Visit Us On FaceBook - http://www.facebook.com/EuroCarPartsUK
Euro Car Parts Official MB Club Discount - Click Here For Details

D'oh

In my defense, I believe those parts came from one of our parts team who used the Merc EPC!

I'm Double sorry in this case! -

I'll be sending you a PM in the morning :)

It does not matter if things go wrong, the mark of any good company is how they respond to mistakes!:thumb:

Our aim, working with forums like yourselves is that we can react quicker to problems, and hopefully resolve them ASAP ~ main thing is the car is off the ramps and back on the road.

Our aim, working with forums like yourselves is that we can react quicker to problems, and hopefully resolve them ASAP ~ main thing is the car is off the ramps and back on the road.

Well yes it is but it was never "off the road" per se this were planned preventative maintenance which will now have to be re-scheduled.

Last night I called in at EPC Southampton and had no problems with the exchange, the wrong parts were returned and the correct ATE pads were handed over for an additional 38 pence! Fortunately the bank manager was not required to sanction this addiitonal expenditure :)

The ATE pads are also supplied with new caliper springs and bolts so all I have to do now is get the disc retaining screw out and I can get the front brakes to the standard they should be !

Last edited:
Well today I got the job finished, the torx screw holding the osf disc still would not budge despite application of heat, cold, impact driver etc so I had to drill it out but managed to preserve the thread. The discs both sides took a lot of persuasion with a rubber mallet to free themselves but it all went well after the initial struggle. The second disc retaining screw came out very easily.

The new brakes feel so much better with more initial bite for less pressure and far better progression. The really shocking thing was the state of the old discs, I knew they were badly worn and ridged but when they came off the inside of the disc was far worse than the outer face as the inner part had started de-laminating through corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom