A "funny" thing happened on the way to the palace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
and no it's not footie related.

Alongside working in the office I run a vineyard and I was daft enough to take on the chairmanship of the national trade association for vineyards. Through the post comes an invite to a Garden Party as we have a royal patron, Mrs aBecketts is in new dress, shoes and everything mode and the day arrived (today) and we opted to drive as parking is free. Mrs aBecketts requests a comfort break and we stop at Heston Services, on returning to the car the dash lights come on but the car won't start and just one hour till the party starts. Thankfully an AA mechanic is trailering away a very nice blue merc E class convertible so as we are members I ask for help, he has a look and advises the starter motor is jammed and very hot and despite a tap or two it won't budge and the car can't start.

Mrs aBecketts is not amused but a taxi driver is on a rest break after taking someone to Heathrow and thankfully we make it just in time.

Over 8,000 people were attending the event and we meet folks from our village which was rather surprising, its all run with military precision and the cucumber sandwiches are very nice.

The delights of a taxi back to the car (£90 all in :-( for the day) and guess what it starts first time.

Arriving home I tried to start it again and the same problem, so i'm assuming that the motor is dying when hot and needs replacement?

If so would folks recommend new merc part or eurocarparts or similar?

Thanks

Paul

You may have a sticky ring gear. Or a faulty key/ignition switch.

As always, a double check with a Star when the fault is occurring will help.

A good quality Lucas/Bosch starter from ECP are fine.

It's probably just the solenoid or brushes sticking when hot. A clean out will possibly fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom