A gentle breeze?. NOT!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Crikey, anyone else becoming all wound up with this bit of a blow?. My neighbours wheely bin just narowly missed my SLK :eek: so Ive stuffed it into his bushes (bin that is) and my roof tiles are fair rattlin'.

Portzy.

Damage report.

The fence panels that have been hanging on for all their worth finally gave up and made a bid for freedom today.
However,they`ve already been replaced thanks to slotted concrete fence posts.:D

Whats your damage,or damage you have seen?

currently sat outside warrington hospital in my car, being bounced about. lots of building material and cones being blown around, but not too bad.

loads of very big trees blown over and blocking roads on the way in though and the runcorn bridge is closed which has practically gridlocked warrington. deep joy...

Flyer said:
loads of very big trees blown over and blocking roads on the way in though and the runcorn bridge is closed which has practically gridlocked warrington. deep joy...
Runcorn Bridge eh? *chuckle*

Hopefully my train is still running...

The wind has cost me today...

lorry with empty plastic containers... one comes straight at me at J22 on M1 this morn... went under the middle of my bumper and got wedged under the front axle... I quickly pulled over, had to jack the car up to get the container out...
My bumper has broken off its brackets and will need to be repainted, blended in with the wing and also all new brackets etc...

im peeed off but could have been worse if the container had caught the wheel..

Our fence has been blown down :(

Been listening to the radio and it sounds like mayhem outside.

Take care out there, everyone.

dsc00037gy2.jpg

dsc00039zi4.jpg

This is the view from the back of my house :(
dsc00040do4.jpg

Down near George Fraser's there is an S class with a tree on it. The roof of the car is touching the floor. Just slightly north on the Whitton Avenue, there is a Porsche cabriolet with a tree on the back - I saw this one happen. The driver (who was parked) was very lucky - if it had parked a foot backwards, he'd have probably died - that roof doesn't provide much protection.

Scary times.

-simon

Ted said:
damage22.jpg

Be very careful out there folks!!
Ted - Looks nasty. I reckon you might have to stand that back up and everything. Best wait until is dies down a little though.

I just heard that London bound trains are suspended from Wolverhampton. Our chauffeur is having to ferry people to Birmingham instead to pick up trains from New Street.

A massive tree has come down into my Dads garden from next door and has crushed his tractor shed, including the tractor and all the equipment for it, the road leading to his house is flooded and they have no electricity, other than that the wind hasn't affected him at all:D :D

I'm not so far from you Dave and so far I have just the one roof tile in pIeces on the patio. Nothing like the damage some people have posted.

Several lumps of next doors shed have found their way round to the front of his house though.

marcos said:
A massive tree has come down into my Dads garden from next door and has crushed his tractor shed, including the tractor and all the equipment for it, the road leading to his house is flooded and they have no electricity, other than that the wind hasn't affected him at all:D :D

Wasn't a motorcycling vicar that organised the wind through him upstairs was it?

Sorry - could not resist :devil: Forgive me :eek: :eek: :eek:

Someone's roof has come off down the road from me and it's blown my big heavy barbie over - I can't lift it back up so it's gonna have to stay like that until tomorrow when I can get some help:(

All my pots have been overturned, bin has gone and recycling box too so garden is also strewn with cans and bottles:(

But no real damage or harm and that's all that matters.

The A1 close to me is shut causing chaos and "he" has had to turn back as "he" should be here this evening but just can't get. So every cloud and all that:p

Lost a few roof tiles and a section of old wooden fence. When I went in to the local hardware store the chap tried to sell me some candles - apparently several people's electricity is off.

Around 14:00, the wind was 44 knots gusting 72 knots, according to the local airfield.

I just had the greatest time reminiscing! (however thats spelt!). On my way back from work, I had to take a detour (road closer with police and all due too a fairly large tree that fell across the street and into the house opposite).

Upon arriving home, I realised that the nehibors tree (as in the people who live directly in front of me) had fallen too, thuse blocking the street. I parked the car, called the council and they said that they would note it down, but as no-one was injured, it was a minor street and no major disruptions were being caused, they wouldn't be able to get too it until tomorrow at the soonest. So... I grabbed a pair of machettes (one Ghanaian and one Senegalese, meant to be for ceremmonial use... :p) and with the help of my flatmate started clearing the tree. After a few minutes my nehibor (who I know quite well as hes one of the managers where I work) arrived, saw his tree on the street, grabbed a saw and came to help! (Hes american like my flatmate in case you were wondering). As were clearing the tree, (starting with the smaller branches a car slows down and instead of turning around t a friendly British chap hops out, says hes on his way home and doesn't feel like going "the long way around" - so he grabs a saw out of his car (no idea why he had a saw :p) and gives us a hand!

I was impressed at the "nehiborhood teamwork"; less than 45 minutes later, (and a blister on my part :( ) all thats left is one VERY large trunk on the side of the road. (I'm guessing its 1.5/1.8 meters in diameter, its almost as wide as I am tall!)

Now we've agreed to meet up tomorrow evening to have a BBQ (initially sparked by the large quantity of wood we suddenly have, but I plan on buying some coal as half the wood is green and the other half is rotten).

My camera's batteries were dead (as usual, can't find the charger!) but Bill's wife (the "owner" of the tree) had one and she snapped some up, including one of me standing on top of the trunk wearing a shirt/tie, and brandishing a fairly large machette over my head :p

So much fun! Non tutti i mali vengono per nuocere ;) (bad things don't just cause harm) - I met a friendly chap, had my yearly dose of excercise and got reminded of my childhood growing up in Gambia cleaning coconuts with the watchman in the garden!

One gripe, as we were clearing, we managed to make enough space for one car to squeeze through, and as the gap got bigger, a cap passed at WAY over the speed limit, almost running a couple of us over (one of Bill's kids came out to help, along with his wife, my cousin who is visiting from Italy and her b/f). Forget Gatso's! A felled tree is the MOST effective speed control measure!

Michele

p.s. pics to follow as soon as I can get them from Bill

edit: forgot too mention, the phone lines were down too, I was asked if it was safe to move them! (impressive how people thing that as you're a computer scientist you are an electrician too :p) When I realised they were phone lines, I moved them, but I must admit I don't have a clue about what sort of current flows through them!

Good work Michele :D

Looks like we were quite fortunate compare to others, no damage at all as far as I can see.

The 15 minute journey home from the hospital though ended up taking 4 hours and Warrington is still completely gridlocked.

Spinal said:
I was asked if it was safe to move them! (impressive how people thing that as you're a computer scientist you are an electrician too :p) When I realised they were phone lines, I moved them, but I must admit I don't have a clue about what sort of current flows through them!

I've had a bite from a phone line at home. Painful! I measured the voltage and saw about 60VAC. But it is current that kills - and it can't have much of that.

Lost a ridge tile in the end which was just about stopped from coming down on the car port roof by the guttering. I think I have a hole in the roof though now as some rain is getting into the loft. Oh well, not as bad a some I guess, one poor guy got killed near Skipton.

Portzy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom