A gentle start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badattitude757

Car
Slk230 (Wifes)
Hi all. Now I'll start with an apology in case I have put this in the wrong place. I'm sure that someone will move it if I have. Now for some help please.
I have a 02 R170 SLK 230 which was bought for the wife. When the interior lights are switched on they stay on. I have checked the door switches and they are going in as I understand they should. The boot interior light is broken and I am trying to source a new one. Is there switch in the boot that operates all the interior lights? When I take the cover off the interior light I am presented with what look like TV remote IR emitters and on the other side a circuit board. Any clues what they are for? IR receiver???
Is there a service manual you can get for the SLK?
On top of that one of the remote key fobs does not operate the central locking and I have tried new batteries. Is there any way into them or is it an expensive visit to the dealer? The interior door lock will unlock but will not lock. I presume the switch is faulty but any suggestions most welcome before I start pulling things out.
Sorry to trouble with so much on my first post but they are really annoying me. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi and welcome

Firstly I would be looking for a local MB independent with the MB Star computer. Lots of the electrical operations on the car such as lighting are controlled by units called SAM's (Signal Acquisition Modules)

The great advantage of Star is that it can test virtually every component in the car, especially the electrical ones. It will probably save a lot of angst and money spent trouble shooting.

Good luck.

Last edited:
DAS 3 keys don't need re-synching.

Check the key works by pointing it at a digital camera and watching through the viewfinder.

The receivers in the light unit are for the RF locking function.

Will test the IR when I get home today. Thanks for your help. I have found out that I have a Mercedes breakers hidden away in my home town. I will see if they know the nearest star garage. Thanks again.

Have visited the breakers/repairers and they have said they will do a star test for £30. Is that reasonable?

The guys at the breakers said something about reseting things with the star test and this may sort out some of the problems the car has. Any truth in that?

The guys at the breakers said something about reseting things with the star test and this may sort out some of the problems the car has. Any truth in that?

It depends, some faults will not clear until fixed.

All has been revealed after the visit to the MB garage/breakers and a go on the star diagnostics box. It would appear that even though it looked fine there was a problem with the good old central locking pump unit and it looks like it may be £425 plus VAT.
It's in for its new one on Wednesday. Better get some more overtime in.

If your guy doesn't have one get a used one from a different breaker or ebay. It'll be about a tenth the price of a new one.

Thanks all for your comments. The story so far. I contacted the dealer that sold me our car and after he spoke to the warranty firm they have agreed to cover the cost up to £500. So the part has been fitted by Mend All motors in Seaford who I highly recommend. All the lights and locks now work an all I am after now is the foam cover for it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom