A great move - one up the middle lane hangers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Leaving London on the Westway. Usual band of middle lane hoggers sitting pretty, completely and utterly oblivious to their surroundings and all content to sit there because (a) thats what the car in front is doing and (b) about 3 miles away there is a HGV on the inside lane.

That jams up the outside lane bacause an asmathic (spelling?) 1970s Range Rover beleives he owns the outside lane. Followed by alot of cars.

As I appoached this little scenario I couldn't resist it. Inside lane. Did maybe 30 cars safely (IMHO), and moved back to a very clear outside passing lane smoothly, no drama, just a BIG smug grin.

This will hack some off - I know - but hey it made me feel alot better.......

marc777 said:
Leaving London on the Westway. Usual band of middle lane hoggers sitting pretty, completely and utterly oblivious to their surroundings and all content to sit there because (a) thats what the car in front is doing and (b) about 3 miles away there is a HGV on the inside lane.

That jams up the outside lane bacause an asmathic (spelling?) 1970s Range Rover beleives he owns the outside lane. Followed by alot of cars.

As I appoached this little scenario I couldn't resist it. Inside lane. Did maybe 30 cars safely (IMHO), and moved back to a very clear outside passing lane smoothly, no drama, just a BIG smug grin.

That's what happened Officer, before you stopped me. :eek:

Will you repeat that in court, he replied. :D

marc777 said:
*claps* If you don't take some action then no-one will go anywhere!

I regularly pass people two lanes in, or even three lanes in on the M60, some people just sit in the outside lane with NOTHING at all on the other three lanes!

Is it actually illegal to 'undertake' ??

when ever i do this i reherse the speech to pold - as per the highway code, you must pull in to the inside lane (or lane 1) unless you are overtaking.

also - you may pass on the inside if the cars in the outside lane are stuck ina traffic jam, or are turning right.

ergo the cars MUST, by definition, be stuck in a (ok, rolling) traffic jam. If they are NOT, then they are all breaking the law, and thus why am I being pulled when THEY are all breaking the law???

i doubt it would work, but gotta be worht a try. :D

I'm with you - I'd have done the same and do on a regular basis - they leave you no choice. In my mind there's a difference between deliberately undertaking to get one ahead - you know the kind of manouevre I mean - to simply switching lanes to get in the one that's flowing the best - without adding to the congestion of course ;)

AFAIK - clear undertaking is illegal as it's dangerous - but simply moving into the free flowing lane is not.

you can undertake if the lane traffic in the lane on the outside is moving slower than you - all you were doing was staying with the flow of traffic in your lane.

As far as I know that's perfectly legal

Andy

Good for you, it's something I do myself regularly even though some think it wrong. If anyone outside me makes eye contact I just shake my head at them.

The law as I understand it allows for you to pass on the inside as long as you dont change lanes to do it, at least that's what I'll plead if it ever arises.

The 2 most annoying things on a motorway, someone who sits in the middle lane no matter what and someone who wants to sit 3 yards from your back bumper at an indicated 80 MPH

kikkthecat said:
The 2 most annoying things on a motorway, someone who sits in the middle lane no matter what and someone who wants to sit 3 yards from your back bumper at an indicated 80 MPH
If I see someone approaching at a higher speed than me while I am overtaking then I pull in before they get to tail-gating distance. However quite a large number of them pull in as well and still sit 3 yards back. What planet are they on? :confused:

andy_k said:
you can undertake if the lane traffic in the lane on the outside is moving slower than you - all you were doing was staying with the flow of traffic in your lane.

Andy

I seem to remember having this from a Police instructor at one of the IAM meetings I went to a few years ago. He pretty much used Andys words exactly. Something like:

'If the traffic in the lane to your right is moving slower than the lane you are in then you may pass on the inside. You are not allowed to change lanes to expedite this i.e. undertake'

Having just driven from Berks to Cheshire this morning and flashed many a car in the middle lane when they have the whole M40 to play with! :rolleyes:

Richard W said:
I seem to remember having this from a Police instructor at one of the IAM meetings I went to a few years ago. He pretty much used Andys words exactly. Something like:

'If the traffic in the lane to your right is moving slower than the lane you are in then you may pass on the inside. You are not allowed to change lanes to expedite this i.e. undertake'

Having just driven from Berks to Cheshire this morning and flashed many a car in the middle lane when they have the whole M40 to play with! :rolleyes:

Morning Richard,
I am disapponted to hear the 'alledged' comments from your instructor. I accept that the written word is not the best forum for debate and I am hoping that when they were questioned on this topic, the instructor had one type of scenario in their mind and perhaps the pupil had a completely different one? :) When answering questions it is always good policy to keep the answers 'black or white'. If there are grey ones, then they must be answered in great detail to try to turn the shade to a more clearly defined colour.

I note on this thread no speeds are mentioned? Also, as I said many, many moons ago. Once we pass our tests that generally is the day we start to learn bad habits. Driving on motorways should be part of the driving test and GREAT emphasis should be placed on regaining the nearside lane as soon as it is safe to do so. (being tactful here)

Well done for taking the IAM test and no doubt going back for refresher courses. It is indeed criminal for drivers to 'park' in any lane other than the nearside one.

I have expressed my opinion on this before and am certainly not going to take 'incoming' this close to Christmas, so please, please everyone, just take care out there. :)

Never be afraid to warn other road users of your presence ;) ;)

Good morning to everyone,
John

andy_k said:

Andy

Just watch out for the ba***rd who thinks you will not pass and pulls into the inside lane to slow you up.

And John, I am with you on motorway driving testing, the current standard of driving on motorways and dual carriageways leaves a lot to be desired

Geoff2 said:
the current standard of driving on motorways and dual carriageways leaves a lot to be desired
More like "the current standard of lane discipline leaves a lot to be desired". That includes roundabouts! People have no idea about the other lanes. How many times do I have to slam on the brakes because someone to my immediate left drifts right when going straight-on on a roundabout? So very annoying!

I find a much better thing to do is to 'circle' them. Let them go past you, pull out to the outside lane, overtake, pull back to the inside lane, if that doesn't make them pull in just slow down, let them pass you again and repeat till they get the idea!

I managed 9 times round a Volvo on the M5 in my bright red smart before they noticed!
Great for a laugh! and no undertaking involved!

Kate

I find a much better thing to do is to 'circle' them. Let them go past you, pull out to the outside lane, overtake, pull back to the inside lane, if that doesn't make them pull in just slow down, let them pass you again and repeat till they get the idea!

That sounds great!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Trouble is you never know who you are picking on................it can end in tears..........

Marc

lil.smartie said:
I managed 9 times round a Volvo on the M5 in my bright red smart before they noticed!
It must be hilarious being a passenger in your smart! :D

I try and keep the passenger awake! and we have an auto lock function so no one can get in if they get too upset at being overtaken by a Smart! Also LHD so that confuses most people for a little while!

Kate

lil.smartie said:
I try and keep the passenger awake!
Should try to wake up some of the other motorists and leave the passenger to sleep! ;)

I know of at least one driver who got a "wake up call" last night! I bet he was double-awake for a few minutes :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom