A help request on E320 CDI Estate GPS and comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegasman

Car
E320 Estate CDI Avagaurde
Hi there I am having problems with sat nav in the Irish Sea Bristol Channel and always heading east. I have read articles to other members but feel need some experience recently became a proud owner of E320 CDI Avanguard estate 04 but have never been able to use set clock or in built Nav and phone also strangely the front cigarette lighter. The details of what I have Chas No WDB2116RA523687 e1* 2001/116 * 021 and I presume all the following was originally factory fitted except rear MB unit for tow bar not used.

Comand DVD head unit with Aux input in glove compartment

Audio Gateway in rear L/H wing could not get no but has two feral connections and multi plug connector with two orange fibre optic cables.

Map DVD drive Harman Becker A 220-820-60-85-004 Model 6059

Bosh Unit (on top not sure what it is) A 025-545-71-32 0-236-004-025

Europe DVD Comand APS Version 4.1 93/2002 211-827-815-9 B6-782--3395

A little history is that every thing audio and Movie DVDs works except vehicle correct location time front lighter and built in phone. The phone works well out of cradle but not in suture.

Now a wonderful MB centre not local to me rang me regarding an A class I had previously owned was due for an MOT. I explained it had been traded in for the on listed they said at no cost to me they would send a mobile engineer for a summer check. Taken back by this and restoring faith in MB (local dealer thinks we all have six figure incomes and poor customer support) sent out an extremely competent engineer as a citreous call as they.

After his 2.5 hr visit gave a report all ok except with his equipment said there is no GPS signal and quickly explained how and were things were meant to work. Cure was to take into local agent network link run in firmware and software checks and then most likely a cause a poor connection on GPS aerial easier to replace but have a good look around side panels rear window and tail door connections.

Local agent reply £125 to look and do not just check firmware or software. Last bill was £580 to replace a £60 switch on the A Class.

I have now checked all aerial and wiring connections I dare go into and that include removal of pillar covers and rear door panels, which revealed a unit on to the heated rear window (A211-820-96-26)? A strange thing noticed behind the map drive is a blue & greenish yellow wire with a female connector on not connected to any thing and can’t see where it could so I have tied it back to the main loom.

Other things tried are removal of fuses re-sets etc. Therefore before I spend any more time any money how does one replace this possible faulty GPS antenna. I purchased one of eBay and thought I would just plug into the one at rear of Map drive after removal of existing one. The one sent does not fit any connection, unless my worst fear total removal of head unit to fit it on rear of that. This is where I have started to loose the plot with part numbers components how too and not what to do.

Cheers Pete thegasman

GPS aerial failure is common On the W211. If it shows no satellites you need a new aerial. No connectiion for GPS aerial on the back of the headunit, it is on the nav processor.

Some info here: http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+Retrofit+E+++CLS+Class-article-27.html

What type of connection does the GPS antenna you bought off ebay? IIRC you need one with a blue fakra connection.

Last edited:
Thank You for you're reply and link to further information. I have purchased has a blue fakra connection (straight connector unlike the 90 deg fitted) from a UK source but found it does not fit in the map drive. Does this mean I have to get longer and through Comand with a splicing kit to split the connection between Map Drive and Audio gateway, then run it all through the wiring duct back to the front of car?
cheers

Theres another connection on the GPS cable , it will be a stright connector and it clips into a holding bracket on the inner wing area of the boot on the passenger side . Try connecting your new GPS line in here .

Cheers for the feedback have now tried connections on both sides of the inner wings at rear of vehicle but does not fit either. Must have been sent wrong one, I will provide photos later incase I have gone insane. The wife has a bet we will be in Portugal by Christmas as map has other information, daughter reckons Newyork, I just want to set the clock.
Thanks back soon.

As you dont have enough posts to PM I will PM and ask Richard to post and confrim what type of connector you need.

Last edited:
Hi

On the back of the navigation processor (the one that takes the map disk in the boot (trunk to those in North America) is a blue FAKRA connector. The factory wiring loom has a right angled one, but a straight one will fit.

Factory wiring loom then goes to a WICLIC connector that is clipped into the bracket on the inner side wall behind the big spring that holds the boot lid. From there it goes to the roof.

The official Mercedes antenna (on W211 and many others) ends in a WICLIC. MB also sell a WICLIC -> Blue fakra converter for those doing retrofits.

You can see one of the factory fit antennas (used on W203-C, W208 CLK, R239 SL) and that litle converter in this picture: -

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/images/P/DSC04939.JPG

- the adapter has a right angled fakra.

I would suggest a genuine Mercedes GPS antenna - we just have less problems with them than the aftermarket ones. The one in the picture is expensive, but Mercedes do a "more cost effective" GPS antenna for retrofits: -

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: Genuine MB GPS Antenna for DVD and Hard Disk COMAND APS

That has a straight blue fakra.

I would suggest using that one, putting it under the parcel shelf (I have assumed you have a saloon) above the metal base of the shelf - you can just poke it through a hole in the shelf from in the boot, and plugging the blue fakra into the back of the Nav drive. It is cheaper than purchasing the other antenna and plugging it into the WICLIC

If your car is an estate, the wire on that is long enough to run it up to the front and hide it away up there.

That antenna won't work on cars where the nav is in the head unit and there is no space behind it (such as CLC) though as the connector is quite long.

I hope that helps you.

Richard

Thank you npuk for putting that request to Richard I just have not had time to investigate further than trying the other split connection, which the FAKRA connector does not fit, so have to take advise and go to Comand for correct one.
Cheers gas-man

Just to say ordered from Comand and replaced with MB genuine gps aerial as suggested and IT WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY. Big thanks again to all who responded to post.
Cheers
Thegasman.

Hi

On the back of the navigation processor (the one that takes the map disk in the boot (trunk to those in North America) is a blue FAKRA connector. The factory wiring loom has a right angled one, but a straight one will fit.

Factory wiring loom then goes to a WICLIC connector that is clipped into the bracket on the inner side wall behind the big spring that holds the boot lid. From there it goes to the roof.

The official Mercedes antenna (on W211 and many others) ends in a WICLIC. MB also sell a WICLIC -> Blue fakra converter for those doing retrofits.

You can see one of the factory fit antennas (used on W203-C, W208 CLK, R239 SL) and that litle converter in this picture: -

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/images/P/DSC04939.JPG

- the adapter has a right angled fakra.

I would suggest a genuine Mercedes GPS antenna - we just have less problems with them than the aftermarket ones. The one in the picture is expensive, but Mercedes do a "more cost effective" GPS antenna for retrofits: -

Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: COMAND Retrofit parts :: Genuine MB GPS Antenna for DVD and Hard Disk COMAND APS

That has a straight blue fakra.

I would suggest using that one, putting it under the parcel shelf (I have assumed you have a saloon) above the metal base of the shelf - you can just poke it through a hole in the shelf from in the boot, and plugging the blue fakra into the back of the Nav drive. It is cheaper than purchasing the other antenna and plugging it into the WICLIC

If your car is an estate, the wire on that is long enough to run it up to the front and hide it away up there.

That antenna won't work on cars where the nav is in the head unit and there is no space behind it (such as CLC) though as the connector is quite long.

I hope that helps you.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Can you advise what the difference is between the 'Official Antenna' and the 'Retrofit Antenna', apart from price?

Also, I'm assuming that the version shown for retrofit is also OK to use in a saloon W211 with NTG 2.5, is this correct? (just tuck the excess cabling away)

I have been having a few intermittent problems with the Ebay antenna I installed last year, so want to get the proper kit.

Regards

Engineer1

Hi Richard,
Can you advise what the difference is between the 'Official Antenna' and the 'Retrofit Antenna', apart from price?

There are 2 Mercedes antennas recommended by Mercedes for Retrofitting purposes.

a) The antenna as fitted to the SL and C class (which ends in a wiclic connector) along with a short converter lead that converts to blue right angle Fakra which is the connector on the back of NTG1/NTG2/etc (but not Comand 2.0)

b) A different antenna that ends in the blue fakra, but this time a straight fakra but not a right angle one. It is cheaper than (a).

The recommendation is normally to place these ontop if the instrument cluster but under the dash (i.e out of sight), as thats the best view of the sky from inside the car.

As far as I'm concerned both of these are as good as each other, but A is more expensive - however, (b) can not be used in all cases because of the connector, it needs more space behind the COMAND. Also, on NTG4 you need the right angle connector as it is inserted in another shell which has the bluetooth antenna connection.

We have never had an issue with the genuine Mercedes antennas. We have had lots of issues with the cheap aftermarket ones that are often supplied with COMAND units from Lithuania or on eBay.

No doubt the best position for the GPS antenna is actually where Mercedes would factory fit it (often on the roof), however it is quite hard to retrofit an antenna there because (i) its hard to get to and (ii) the GPS antenna extension lead to reach from it to the back of COMAND is often not available, and of course is different for every vehicle.
But the Mercedes recommended position for retrofitting has never given me an issue.

Of course if the car has heat insulated (i.e metallic) windscreen, you have to think again as GPS signals won't pass through it - but I havent seen one of those in the UK on a Mercedes that i've been retrofitting yet !

Richard

Also, I'm assuming that the version shown for retrofit is also OK to use in a saloon W211 with NTG 2.5, is this correct? (just tuck the excess cabling away)

Yes, either retrofit antenna will work, so pick the cheaper one.

Richard

Where can I get the genuine GPS Antenna please, the link shows no product on here.
Additionally, how will I be able to tell which connector is the right one for my W211 E Class 2005 Saloon please? Is it Fakra or WICLIC connector?

Many thanks

Kindest regards

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom