A hi-fi question..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
A bit of a tricky one. A friend of mine would like to buy her hubby a new turntable as a Christmas present, as apparently their old one is a bit knackered and skips a bit. Her words, not mine.

They have an impressive collection of vinyl and I'm sure it'll be put to good use. I, however, know little about turntables so I've recommended that she talks to a retailer. They live in Ashford, Middlesex - can anyone give me a pointer to a reputable dealer in the area?

Cheers,

Gaz

If he is a vinyl purist, perhaps best he chooses?

Sevenoaks sound and vision have shops in Kingston and Weybridge which aren't too far with a decent range of turntables. I can't vouch for them though, as it was about 20 years ago I bought something from their branch in Chelsea!

consider getting a gift voucher from her local retailer so she does not buy the wrong thing, i'm sure they could help, depends on budget of course.

Or perhaps find a good, working Bang and Olufsen hifi and turntable? They don't have to be silly money - happy to advise. They're bloody good turntables, too.

A nice classic turntable would be ideal. Thorens TD124 with an SME or Linn arm - good choice. I bought an AR turntable recently which I will be selling - always wanted one but I have a couple of Thorens as well. The AR was one of the first fully-suspended turntables

Just don't look at the price of Transcriptors turntables - I want a Hydraulic Reference Turntable but they are £££

Nick Froome

I would love a turntable, but finding the vinyl records for my musical tastes is exceptionally difficult, so I persevere with scratchy cds.

You could do a lot worse than one of the Rega turntables.
I have the Rega RP-6 and it's sound reproduction makes my cd collection very second grade.

Take the records when he's not looking and pop down to Oxfam with them. Put the money towards an iplayer and bring him into the modern world.

He'll be eternally grateful. :D

A bit of a tricky one. A friend of mine would like to buy her hubby a new turntable as a Christmas present, as apparently their old one is a bit knackered and skips a bit. Her words, not mine.

They have an impressive collection of vinyl and I'm sure it'll be put to good use. I, however, know little about turntables so I've recommended that she talks to a retailer. They live in Ashford, Middlesex - can anyone give me a pointer to a reputable dealer in the area?

Cheers,

Gaz

Turntables don't skip...the arm does. He needs to be a little bit more enthusiastic and set it up correctly. Buying a new tt because it skips is akin to buying a new car because the shocks are shot.

Turntables don't skip...the arm does. He needs to be a little bit more enthusiastic and set it up correctly.
Not necessarily a setup issue as it could be anything from knackered arm bearings to an improperly dressed arm cable.

As an aside (and not intending to cast aspersions on gaz_l's friends), but while they may have an impressive collection of vinyl, I doubt any true vinyl enthusiast would tolerate a player that "skips a bit" with the attendant damage that will cause to perhaps irreplaceable albums.

On that basis and with due respect to all those who have made product suggestions, what gaz_l's friend needs is the name of a trusted dealer that will qualify their needs and budget and guide an appropriate purchase. Which is what the OP actually asked for :doh:

Might even be a saggy cantilever suspension due to age or something as simple as the tracking weight or bias being wrong.

As suggested, get a budget in mind and consult a good independent dealer.

I doubt any true vinyl enthusiast would tolerate a player that "skips a bit" with the attendant damage that will cause to perhaps irreplaceable albums.

Indeed - hence the desire for a new turntable. My lady friend knows nothing about hi-fi as it's her hubby that is the audiophile, but she'd like to learn more, hence the request for a knowledgeable dealer as opposed to Currys :eek:

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom