A hot topic from Ford.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Engine design faults can occur, but reading the article I am surprised to learn that the affected Fords models have no engine temperature gauge and no engine overheating warning light.

The sensor they retrofit I believe is a coolant level sensor. I’ve had so many customers with these 1.0 ecoboost motors telling me their horror stories, one was even on his 3rd engine on a 14 plate car.
They like to blow headgaskets, and unrelated the ‘wet’ timing belt that is immersed in oil has a tendency to snap with no warning. We won’t even start on the ECU failures which is what I get them in for.
Such a shame as they drive well.

The Rover K-Series 1.8L had similar issues, i.e. head gasket failure leading to coolant loss and overheating, but I don't remember horror stories of cars catching fire. Owners just stopped at the roadside and waited for recovery. I can't understand why the Ford engines do not bring-up a warning on the dash when they overheat.

Interesting. Our 2018 Fiesta Mk8 does have a temp guage and a warning lamp which flashes if there is an imminent overheating issue.

Interesting. Our 2018 Fiesta Mk8 does have a temp guage and a warning lamp which flashes if there is an imminent overheating issue.
Maybe there's a design fault and the engine overheating isn't flagged-up on the dash?

If the temp sender is located in a bad spot, it won't pick-up any temp readings if the coolant level drops significantly, because these senders need to be immersed in liquid to work.

I think the engine has been revised for the Mk8, it's not the same as in previous car.

My apologies Bruce didn't spot your post which preceded mine. :oops: Problem with the media coverage was they compounded two unrelated problems because both engines were termed ECOBOOST. As detailed on the other thread the smaller 3 cylinder turbo engine failure was down to coolant loss from coolant pipe plastic embrittlement and the larger 1600cc?? engine down to cylinder head cracking in certain circumstances allowing oil onto the exhaust manifold which then caught fire. So far Fords compensation/replacement engine offer is only for the smaller 3 cylinder engine I believe- but could be wrong about that. A HOT TOPIC indeed!;)

"The car giant said in a statement safety was its number one priority"

Of course it is - but only once you have been exposed on the telly.

Seems a shame as otherwise it's said to be a really good engine for a small car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom