A House that doesn't cost the Earth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Source. The Telegraph.

Michael Buck has realised a dream that many of us hold with his home-made cottage built of thick cob, but is a little disappointed that it cost him the sum of £150 to build it.

The house has windows made from a truck windscreen, a log burner, bunk bed and uses a shallow well as a fridge. The cob walls and thatched roof make the house well insulated. The current tenant who works on a neighbouring dairy farm, pays for her lodgings in milk.

cob-house_2745509b.jpg

Full article. LINK.

I'm amazed that he's not been thwarted by a bureaucrat in planning or building control. I think hansel or gretel ought to live here.

I could happily live in that. The only major downside I can think of would be no internet access, which might not be a bad thing after all.

Clever that he thatched the roof himself without any previous experience, although those roof spars seem pretty steep to me. :confused: Let's hope he's got the structure safely set.

cobhouse__building_2745137k.jpg

I bet the EPC (a legal requirement) makes interesting reading.

I'm amazed that he's not been thwarted by a bureaucrat in planning or building control. I think hansel or gretel ought to live here.

It's got a bunk bed - they could both live there!

Cheap House

This was featured on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces a couple of weeks back on channel four.

Earth and thatch houses are well insulated.

I wonder how the main roof timbers are secured to the walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom