A howto remove aerial mast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLee

Car
to No.1 brand in reliability
Anyone have a HOWTO remove the aerial mast for the usual MB checks - when the radio is switched on or off I can hear the motor noises (normal sounding, actually sounds quite ok, not high pitched or grinding) from the driver seat but the mast hasnt moved in a year. the retractable shaft is black and sooty.

Aerial mast

KLee said:
Anyone have a HOWTO remove the aerial mast for the usual MB checks - when the radio is switched on or off I can hear the motor noises (normal sounding, actually sounds quite ok, not high pitched or grinding) from the driver seat but the mast hasnt moved in a year. the retractable shaft is black and sooty.

To remove the mast unscrew the chrome trim at the base of the aerial mast - it has two flats on it and takes something like a 16 mm spanner. You may find it helpful to open the boot/tailgate and hold the casing of the aerial while you do this

Next, grab the top of the mast firmly & get someone to turn on the radio. As the motor starts pull the mast up & out. It'll be followed by a white, serrated plastic tongue which is the drive mechanism. Note if the serrated edge faces to the back or the front of the car (normally back)

If the teeth on the serrated edge are intact then the drive peg on the motor is probably broken. If the teeth are knackered you may get away with fitting a new mast. I suspect the drive peg is broken. This means you'll need to bodge up a repair or buy a new motor. It's possible to bodge it by drilling the disc with the peg on & inserting a nut & bolt in place of the peg. It'll always click once when you wind the aerial up or down but it'll save you about £100

To replace a mast, feed the white plastic tongue into the aerial motor, making sure the serrated edge faces in the correct direction (normally back). Then get someone to to the radio off. Feed the tongue in then quickly seat the mast in the base & feed the whole mast in so it is retracted fully. Tighten up the chrome trim & test the aerial

If you move or disturb the aerial motor housing make sure that the water drain tube is reconnected afterwards

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
thanks for he great link, it should go into HOWTO - the reason I couldn't find it and asked.

Local main dealer replaced the mast on my R129 for just £15 while it was being serviced - pleasantly surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom