A Kiindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AJA

Car
S212 2014 E250 CDI AMG Sport
Hi All

My daughter has asked for a Kindle for Christmas but I know nothing about them to be honest.

Has anyone got one, or can offer advise on which one to buy? Is there a 2nd generation with improvements?

I'm going to do some research obviously, but if anyone has anything to offer, I'm all ears.
smile.gif

Thanks

Kindle's are great, but they have one major drawback, you must buy all your books from Amazon.

There are other alternatives, Bebook, Nook, Sony and others that don't tie you in. I bought Bebook for the missus, because I wanted more flexibility with the formats it can read and where we can buy books from.

On saying that, I have many friends with Kindle, being restricted to buying from Amazon also makes it very easy if thats your preference.

Kindle's are great, but they have one major drawback, you must buy all your books from Amazon.

.mobi files can be uploaded to Kindle via USB

I don't mind being tied into Amazon as (dependant on which book you download) a book could only cost you pence.

Thanks guys.

Kindle doesn't tie you to Amazon as posted you can upload stuff onto it. I think the new Kindle Fire is released in time for Christmas, might be worth a google.

I just got a Blackberry Playbook which has a great e book reader and books via Kobo are cheaper than amazon and you are not tied + you can browse the web, em mail and Microsoft office if you have a blackberry phone

I don't mind being tied into Amazon as (dependant on which book you download) a book could only cost you pence.

Thanks guys.

All the new books, tend to cost more...

But don't let that put you off, I have a Sony reader which is great. Now it's been mostly parked though by the Ipad.

The book readers win in sunlight though where the lcd screens struggle

I started with a wireless Kindle nearly a year ago and found it to be very readable - the only drawback for me was the lack of a back-light but that just makes the battery life excellent.
About five months ago I bought myself an Android tablet (got fed up with carting a laptop around and it's extra weight - travelling offshore, weight reduction is important and as we always have a works laptop it wasn't really that essential).
The tablet works great with the Amazon Kindle application, allows you to get books from just about any file type plus gives the extra net availability.

Have a look at the tablet option as well as the Kindle itself.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom