A leap of faith

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XXKR

Car
Jaguar XKR
Hello everyone, I have just joined the club this morning in the anticipation of acquiring a MB estate very very soon. It will be an intriguing change for me as I have been running a jaguar xkr for the past 7 years! But I have a mini schnauzer and want a safer way of transporting him longer journeys and a car that's easier to get out of would be nice! My user profile is one of 5 mile supermarket visits and other ad-hocs totalling about 2k miles per year. My thoughts so far are for a 350e or 2 litre petrol C class say 4 ish years old. Any guiding thoughts on the matter would be appreciated thanks Phil

Avoid the “e” , and don’t buy a diesel for those trips/mileage . You want a petrol (as you say) , probably the c200 or E200 .
Welcome by the way

Hello W1ghty, regarding the "e" is that a definite avoid in your opinion because of possible problems? Having seen some 16 plate ones the price point looks pretty attractive cheers Phil

Hello W1ghty, regarding the "e" is that a definite avoid in your opinion because of possible problems? Having seen some 16 plate ones the price point looks pretty attractive cheers Phil
I think any repair/replacement costs associated with the hybrid drive are likely to be eye-watering. Wouldn’t contemplate one myself.

Mercedes hybrids (like the C350e) haven't had a great track record, with reports of new battery packs being needed relatively early on (under 6 years old). There are a few threads here about this. I would (and did) avoid - we're on our second petrol C Class estate now.

As the others have said , the “e” does seem to crop up on forums with some expensive issues . Me personally I wouldn’t go near them . I prefer diesels and petrols that most garages know something about .

Really appreciate your inputs, hope I can return the favour one day 👍
Hi, seems to be a number of posts who are anti EV/hybrid on this post so will give you my more positive view.
Like you my annual mileage is around 3k, I have had my 350e Premium estate for 2 years 3 months, one year old when I purchased and up to now still loving the car.
No issues with hybrid system at all only things that I’ve needed to change are 2 tyres and replaced front brake disks (corrosion).
If you look at the ‘C350e owners club thread’ you will see that the majority of owners love the car and the main issues are down to range not meeting the 19 miles that Mercedes quote.
Mine does 8 to 10 in winter, 12 to 14 in summer. One member Sold his 350e to buy a Tesla model 3, and after a few months sold it an returned to the 350e.
I would only recommend buying from a Mercedes dealership and take out their service plan which is £36/month which includes breakdown cover.
Find out from the seller how many KW hours does the battery take to charge from 10% to 100%. Should be around 5.5KWh.
My average fuel consumption over 6,500 miles has been 70 mpg but have achieved 95 in summer. Over these 6,500 miles around 4,000 have been driven in purely electric.
Regards
Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom