A light hearted post for the older members amongst us Part 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This thread must have raised the average age of members by 50 years.
Please stop - it makes me feel so OLD!!

Going to the fish n' chip shop for 6d of chips - and you were being greedy if you bought a shilling's worth of chips.

Buying Fish n' Chips for 1/-6d (that's 7p).

Buying only the precise number of eggs or cooked meat slices you wanted from the corner shop.

The Green Grocer weighing-out veg and then depositing them in your own bag.

Waiting for the separate daily deliveries of milk, bread, pop, and, coal.

Taking old pop bottles back to the corner shop in exchange for refunds on the bottles.

Pubs closing at 10.30pm.

Wednesday half-day closing.

Sunday closing.

Everything closed on bank holidays.

Prescription charges of just 20p.

And we call them the "good old days"! Nothing recounted there that I don't remember vividly (other than the cost of getting in to watch what I assume was a football team? ;) )

The mention of Tizer reminds me of the time my friend and I saved enough on returned empties collected from neighbours to buy a bottle of Tizer. We were so excited at the prospect of drinking this liquid gold we ran all the way to the park. Almost before our backsides touched the bench the top was being virtually ripped off. An early lesson in the explosive forces of agitated carbonated liquids ensued. :eek: We didn't get to taste much!

Other 40s/50s memories include:
Scrumping.
Sore backsides (the penalty for getting caught scrumping).
Making a single bubble gum last all day.
The Potter's Wheel on TV.
Watching the white spot disappear when TV programmes ended for the night.
Walking a mile to school alone when only six.
First job not working for family at 9 - helping on milkround (those bottles were mighty cold in the winter)
Using our imagination to convert a garden shed into a spacecraft without any computer assistance.
Cap pistols and spud guns.
Catapults.
And of course Massive Wagonwheels.

Dubbin(?) on my football boots
Playing kiss chase with the girls
playing buzz ball with the boys
After an evening drinking Russian Stout, singing a Del Shannon song, Runaway at the top of my voice at the local disco
Standing up for the National Anthem in the cinema
Me and hundreds of others being taught the twist by Chubby Checker at the Lyceum London

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom