A little advice & guidance, if you could please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godot

Advocatus Diaboli in a Rest Home for the Terminall
Car
A180 CDI Elegance Auto 3 Door Panoramic Sun Roof, Bi Xenons
We are in the process,hopefully, of getting a second hand A180CDI Auto Elegance 3 door, on a 55 plate & with a genuine 5K on the clock (if some other b******d don't get there first!

Your advice & recommendations is, whilst I am sure we would not be able to afford Alfie's very competitive price for a retro fit Command Unit, for an ordinary Sat Nav device, if you could please:eek:

See so many conflicting reports, on Tom Tom Garmin Mio etc. One I think I fancy is a Becker Traffic Assist Highspeed 7934 for £173.78 from a Web based trader. (very good price compared to other traders for the same model)

Reason I fancy this one is that it appears to give complete European Coverage (we intend driving around former Soviet Block Countries, like Poland Slovakia etc.) Not seem it in the plastic yet, or indeed any other!

Your guidance will be much appreciated:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased a Navman N60i. It has complete European coverage pre loaded, an SD slot to add more, built in camera and NavPix, which allows you to navigate to a photo. If you take a picture of a location the position is marked for future reference.
Also it has a large screen and decent battery life.

More expensive than the one you suggested but I am very pleased so far. I purchased at Costco on offer at £252 inc.

I recently retrofitted a COMAND-APS in my A180CDi so I can give you my own experience (besides the fact that I welcome you to the exclusive A180CDi-Auto club) . It's my first GPS and I can't comment on other systems so this text may fall on deaf ears...

Minusses
- Bit of a job to fit it yourself (I used Richard's www.mercupgrades.com)
- Required separate car-integration programming (with Alfie's help).
- Hardware will leave a hole in your bank-account. The UK price of the Nav. software alone will buy you a complete 3rd party GPS system. I used Ebay for some of the major bits & Germany for the rest.
- Navigation Software is not particularly up-to-date, doesn't have interim updates/patches, no info on Speed-cameras/zones, no London Congestion zone, has poor destination granularity, etc.etc.
- Not portable (to another car)

Plusses
- Screwed/integrated into car, so less likely to be nicked. MB original device, so limited resale market.
- Big screen, easy to use, directions through the speakers.
- COMAND-APS can accommodate video input. (camera, DVB-T, etc.)
- Integrates with other car functions (CD-changer, dashboard etc.)
- Navigation has Multi-country cover and TA with dynamic rerouting
- Fitted an external MB GPS/GSM/FM antenna which has excellent satellite reception (typically 8-9, sometimes more).

I suppose the two main points that swung it for me to get the COMAND-APS was that it was MB-original and the limited nickability which in London is something of a plus. Mind you, with the experience I've gained I could now probably strip out my COMAND-APS in under a minute; I recon the odds are in my favour to my car encountering a hoody with a technical ability...

Edit: A £99 Danish Aytobe GPS http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115145&TabID=1&source=1&doy=2m6 which supposedly supports European maps, and most things the COMAND does and then some.

Last edited:
I use a Garmin Nuvi - used to use TomTom but found their maps not as accurate as the Garming - Different suppliers of data.

Recommend it as you can also download safety cameras (now thats a laugh calling them safety cameras - more like cash cow cameras - different discussion tho)..

Latest ones allow you to use a bluetooth phone if u wish -- also has full european and now i believe USA mapping included (depending on model)

:bannana:

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated.:)

After careful consideration I have decided against a retro fit Command system, due to ahem financial considerations:mad:

I have found a couple of Becker stockists locally (Becker provide MB with audio etc anyway..or so I am led to believe):) I shall commence picking their brains as I am a complete technophobic:crazy:

Not quite got the A180CDI Auto yet...I am waiting for some dosh to come through..but I am smitten...Dune Gold, Electric Sun Roof..etc LOVE IT!:bannana::rock::bannana::rock::D

So pleased to have decamped from London & now in our "country retreat" having had most of our Birthdays, the mem Sah'b & I love it here!!:D:cool::D

I think that would be a great idea, but we are after one specifically with preloaded or included detailed maps for Eastern Europe & maybe even the Russian Federation, as we are feeling a little adventurous!:devil:

Your advice & recommendations is, whilst I am sure we would not be able to afford Alfie's very competitive price for a retro fit Command Unit, for an ordinary Sat Nav device, if you could please:eek:

Your guidance will be much appreciated:)

The COMAND is not a simple sat-nav device. It improves the audio system and provides more in the way of dynamic trafic info. Its not a simple "stick-on" device and compliments the car totally, security has to be a factor. Tom-Tom work but COMAND works completely!.....IMHO :D

security has to be a factor

Definitely a good point. On a trip to Windsor recently, I came across a guy in the parking lot cleaning up the broken glass from his side window. Some b****** had just smashed it and nicked the satnav.

And of course, as you also say, COMAND is an integrated part of the car's operations - I love it!

I do appreciate your comments & I better understand about the COMMAND system. :)

However I have to bear in mind the financial considerations re a Retro Fit system. I certainly would prefer to have one, but I don't think I could afford one, let alone the cost of having someone fit it(I am far too technophobic to do it myself):eek:

I am evaluating the various portable systems recommended by other members of this forum, however I am being drawn to the Becker systems (they do in dash systems as well a la Command, but not too sure about that):confused:

So far I have not been able to find anyone with first hand experience of Becker. :confused:

What attracts me to their particular system, whether the portable or the fixed, is that they are pre loaded or come with the appropriate maps for Eastern Europe, instead of having to buy them in as an extra.:)

Your continued guidance & advice is appreciated :rock:

>So pleased to have decamped from London & now in our "country retreat"

At least you're in the country. One word of caution on the A180CDi in London : Roadhumps. I managed to practically beach mine on one of those that slip between the wheels when I first got it as it has zilch ground clearance under the engine bay - my lowish profile tyres don't help. I generally get overtaken by Zimmer frames when a road's littered with humps.

After careful consideration & taking on board your comments, I have managed to obtain a Becker Traffic Assist 7194 for just under £100. from EBay. It's being posted today, by recorded delivery. So should have it soon to play with!:):bannana:

Some retailers are selling this discontinued (but support & updates available from Becker) for between £174-£374(ish) !!!:crazy:

After careful consideration & taking on board your comments, I have managed to obtain a Becker Traffic Assist 7194 for just under £100. from EBay. It's being posted today, by recorded delivery. So should have it soon to play with!:):bannana:

Some retailers are selling this discontinued (but support & updates available from Becker) for between £174-£374(ish) !!!:crazy:

Let us know what you think of it - I considered the Becker but decided against it as it doesnt allow POI to be added (i.e. speed cameras)...What mapping does it use Navtec or Teleatlas - how up to date are they?

Cheers:bannana:

I just bought an AA road atlas, £2.99 and keep my eyes open for speed cameras:D

:eek: I'll get my coat!!

I have the Mem Sah'b for the Atlas work & spotting hazards etc., so it's really to help her & NOT A BOY'S TOY as she states.:crazy:

Err believe Navtec. Want it mainly for Eastern European coverage & Wales both areas the Mem Sah'b has difficulty in pronouncing place names:rolleyes:

By the time she pronounces what she thinks she sees on the map, we are long past the junction!:mad:

Definitely a good point. On a trip to Windsor recently, I came across a guy in the parking lot cleaning up the broken glass from his side window. Some b****** had just smashed it and nicked the satnav.

And of course, as you also say, COMAND is an integrated part of the car's operations - I love it!
Sounds like you saw me if it was at Legoland? In April?

Stole the Comand system and CD player with little damage to the dash so they new what they were doing and could do it very quickly.....

The Becker arrived swiftly & safely yesterday. Very good bit of kit. Seems quite impressive so far. Shan't be using the music player of photo viewing bits...can't see the point. As a first Sat Nav (other than the Mem Sah'b) not bad. Quite unsophisticated. Couple of years old. Still being sold in places on the net for up to £350!!! ridiculous.

Shall now have to try it out on some trips to previously unvisited destinations!

>Stole the Comand system and CD player with little damage to the dash
> so they new what they were doing and could do it very quickly.

I will henceforth make a mental note not to park next to Legoland - this must surely attract a peculiar type of skilled misfit that learned with Lego, and progressed to bigger things. As said, removal is not rocket science with the right tools.

I also carry a spare £2.99 Road Atlas....

Sounds like you saw me if it was at Legoland? In April?

Can't remember the exact date, think it was in May though, but definitely not Legoland but the car park behind Windsor station. ;) Was a Peugeot IIRC.

Stole the Comand system and CD player with little damage to the dash so they new what they were doing and could do it very quickly.....

Bugger! Clearly some kind of a gang operating around the Windsor area :crazy:.

What model COMAND did you have? i have the "old" style s-class COMAND:

comand.jpg

I must admit something: when I was looking for a new car, I specifically wanted this style of COMAND (and so had to opt for a pre-facelift model), it looks so much better in the W/V220 dash than the newer version. The price you pay is CD rather than DVD satnav (no problem, I just swap the CD when I go over to the continent) and no widescreen (I watch telly mostly in my lounge rather than my car :D).

So, now the important question: am I right in thinking that my COMAND can't be as easily removed as the newer versions? Or am I deluding myself? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom