A Little Construction Puzzle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
What's going on here?
IMG_0640.jpg

The hardwood floor is laid on sand directly onto the bitumen DPC.

The DPC has failed so is being made good.

Dieselman has it. In fact..I think there was a chimney breast which has been taken away...and the floor not properly constructed where it stood.

Looks like my house when the builder discovered the inner block wall had no foundations.

The cavity under the wooden floor has been filled in thus no air circulation causing damp

Chimney hasn't been capped off and the water is running down from the roof?

Ok, here's what happened.

I bought the property last March - originally a shop with a flat above, which had a change of use in 1999 to two flats (one downstairs, one upstairs).

It was tenanted when I bought it, and while apparent that there was a problem in the bedroom (damp smell) I couldn't do anything about it until the current tenant moved out (two weeks ago).

Pulling back the carpet showed that there had been a fireplace at some time. it had been removed and the void concreted in, but without a DPC.

Over time, the parquet flooring touching the concrete had rotted, as the moisture had been drawn up through the concrete. Being wood it had spread. If you look closely at the skirtingboard over the fireplace area you will see it's rotten at the bottom.

In light of the remainder of the floor throughout the flat being just wood on bitumen, I've had it taken up throughout the whole flat and Tuesday a new screed floor is being laid at 45mm throughout (with a DPM). A lot of work, but required for the long term.

The stripped wall and hacked out plaster around the window is just us starting to making good before going forward.

Last edited:
You've got it all wrong don't you know - your supposed to be in it for the short term and just bodge it... after all you don't live there... Amateurs....:fail

Good to see the job being done properly for a change:D

Just plug in an Airwick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom