a little drive on the Autobahn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anarchy-inc

Car
C240
Just got back from a manic trip to Germany, driving 1750 miles round trip (final destination in Berlin). The CLK performed flawlessly and never once complained about being pushed to 150mph on the A2 between Hannover and Berlin. :devil:

clk-150mph-sm.jpg

clk-150mph-cl.jpg

Last edited:
nice ... :)

whats more impressive is the 25.1mph with 150mph on the speedo :D

fuzzer said:
nice ... :)

whats more impressive is the 25.1mph with 150mph on the speedo :D

Over the 1750 miles, the average was 30.6. In France, Belgium and Holland I was only ever going as high as 100mph (darn speed limits). In Germany I was doing 120+ ALL the time. (well not in the restricted areas, only 110 then :D ) So all in all, the average wasnt bad.

I've got 155mph before the limiter-weenies kick in. Tyres and ratio are good for more, and I am seriously considering getting the limiter removed.

There is a photo somewhere on this forum of my speedo at about 140mph.

I thought this was taken by Koolvin while on the Autobahn in DE. It wasn't until later that I realised this wasn't on the Autobahn at all but it was on the Autobaan in NL and the speed limit was about 120kph. :eek: ;) Might just as well have done 140mph in the UK, same laws and the same risk, although I doubt the cops in the UK would accept that I had just driven from DE and didn't notice the change of country ;)

Booyaka!

Can't wait until next year! I want to know what my new top speed is!

Shude said:
although I doubt the cops in the UK would accept that I had just driven from DE and didn't notice the change of country ;)

Hehe. Yes, the change in Autobahn signs is quite noticeable . . . I once got flashed by a speed camera on the way to Amsterdam in my old car but I never heard anything from it. The worst place though for fines is supposed to be Belgium. I have heard <rumor alert> that the fines are upwards of 1000 euros </rumor alert>.

scotth_uk said:
I've got 155mph before the limiter-weenies kick in. Tyres and ratio are good for more, and I am seriously considering getting the limiter removed.

If I had a more powerful version of the CLK I would consider removing it too. On this one though there is little point as I reached the car's limit not an artificial imposed limit.

GrahamC230K said:
Booyaka!

Can't wait until next year! I want to know what my new top speed is!

155 , just like everyone else that owns a mercedes :D

anarchy-inc said:
What was your old top speed?

DSCF0891.JPG

I saw about 146mph on the speedo, 143mph on the Road Angel (GPS).

That was two up and a full boot. I think the official top speed is 145mph, so not bad.

The thing was I hadn't run out of gearing, but I was way short of the red line - it just wouldn't pull.

I am hoping with my new remap taking full advantage of fuelling and boost I will be able to max out in 5th gear - maybe up to 6500rpm!

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
The thing was I hadn't run out of gearing, but I was way short of the red line - it just wouldn't pull.
struggling to overcome the shoebox-like aerodynamics at that kind of speed :)

My car was the same, got it up to 145ish and it was short of the red line but it just seemed to run out of enthusiasm.

GrahamC230K said:
I saw about 146mph on the speedo, 143mph on the Road Angel (GPS)...
The most I saw on that trip was 143mph on my speedo when Dorian, Scott and I were travelling in convoy. I'm guessing that would be approx 140mph if I had the Road Angel running. You're brave keeping that running in Europe Graham as I had heard that if caught with it in Germany or France then the RA is confiscated, :crazy: I kept mine firmly hidden in the centre arm rest. I'm guessing my car had a tiny bit more oomph to it (good for another 2-3 mph?) as it was still accelerating (albeit very slowly) when Dorian and I hit traffic. Dor said he'd got to just over 145mph when he had to slow down.

S.

Im off the Koln on Friday taking the S320 CDI, wonder when it will max out, ill have 4 people in the car and a loaded boot, not ideal but should still be a laugh. Last time driving to Switzerland the turbo was palying up so it wasnt much fun, think the most I got to was 135 ish. But its all fixed now :bannana:

Steve_Perry said:
The most I saw on that trip was 143mph on my speedo when Dorian, Scott and I were travelling in convoy. I'm guessing that would be approx 140mph if I had the Road Angel running. You're brave keeping that running in Europe Graham as I had heard that if caught with it in Germany or France then the RA is confiscated, :crazy: I kept mine firmly hidden in the centre arm rest. I'm guessing my car had a tiny bit more oomph to it (good for another 2-3 mph?) as it was still accelerating (albeit very slowly) when Dorian and I hit traffic. Dor said he'd got to just over 145mph when he had to slow down.

S.

You know, I never even thought to look at my TomTom to see what it said, sadly it was most likely only reading 146-148. Still better than my old 280se, as I could never get it past 220km. Next time . . . .

How difficult is it to get the limiter taken off, as you probably know, dad has just got a CLK 430, he went on a booze run last week and then up to Oostende and wound it up to 140ish, but then bottled it. He said it felt like it had loads to go.

Obviously it would stop at 155 due to the limiter , but how easy is it to derestrict it and if it was what sort of top speed could you expect from a CLK430 ?

fuzzer said:
155 , just like everyone else that owns a mercedes :D

A Sl55 with a factory fitted 'Performance Pack' is restricted to 300 kph which is about 186mph :bannana:

anarchy-inc said:
The worst place though for fines is supposed to be Belgium. I have heard <rumor alert> that the fines are upwards of 1000 euros </rumor alert>.

It has been reported on a few sites that they are far more aggressive these days than justt he fine. Instant jail is becoming common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom