A little gremlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Well in over two years of ownership my car has never refused to start on me... until today :(

Fortunately, it wasn't as serious as it sounds. After a small drive of approx 5 miles, I parked in the usual supermarket to do some shopping. On my return, appox 20 mins later the car refused to start... she would fire up, rev momentarily and then die immediately after. 3 starting attempts without removing the ignition key produced the same results.

I took the keys out of the ignition, switched off the a/c and also removed and reseated the fuel filler cap (even fiddled with the spring loaded flap in the neck of the fuel line opening). On the fourth attempt to start the car she fired up as if nothing had happened :rolleyes:

Once I got home, I tried the car again after 10 mins or so from switching off and she also started 'as normal'. :confused:

So what do you guys think it could be? Could it have been some sort of airlock in the fuel? Maybe a bit of crud down the fuel line? ECU having a random spaz fit? Anyone else suffer a similar gremlin with their car?

S.

Steve, that's happened to me twice in 2.5 years of ownership. I have no idea why it does it. It just happens without warning then you start to panic about what it's going to cost eh? There was thunder and lightning on one occasion though, maybe that did it.

I hope it dosn't do it again.

Simon said:
Steve, that's happened to me twice in 2.5 years of ownership. I have no idea why it does it.
:crazy: Phew! not just me then.

Simon said:
It just happens without warning then you start to panic about what it's going to cost eh?...
Too true about the panic Simon, :p those were my thoughts exactly..."Oh great, how much is this going to cost me".

Simon said:
I hope it dosn't do it again.
Ditto here :)

S.

Has happened to me too, I thought it was the immobilizer playing up as i locked and unlocked all was fine, but never happened since... Im not sure if the immob are connected to fuel pump or starter. If fuel pump then explains it...

Jay

4th gen Honda Accords amongst others have a similar problem with their main fuel relay.

The symptoms are very similar, with the car being driven a short distance then stopped for a short while, like at a petrol station. The soldering in the relay would begin to deteriorate and when the relay was hot the car would not start until the relay was given time to cool down. The relay on the Honda is mounted under the dashboard. There may be a similar reason for the Merc playing up. :crazy:

AHhhhh yes, happened on every one of my prelude v tec's that i owned (around 10-12)... Now i remember. I thought it was my own fault as i installed alarms/immobs on them all.. On the last one i owned, someone mentioned the relay and i changed it, was perfect after...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom