A little Monday night fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
I was watching a documentary and nearly keeled over at the pronunciation of a word (in English) and it got me thinking. I have trouble with petrol…pe'rol.

To start the ball rolling (and to see if it catches on) here are a couple which happen to be non-British but we are not exempt!

[YOUTUBE]ejuK8_12Fmg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE HD]HY6vITjLvWI[/YOUTUBE HD]

Fet lyke ya takkin boot mon ?

I can't see borked links on my ipad, but does my inability to say 'poppadom' without pronouncing it 'pompadom' count?

Annoys the heck out of me and even Mrs TDE1 has started mispronouncing it now.

So many people can't say Chicago without putting in an r...Chicargo.

Others can't say draw without it sounding like drawer...the place you keep cutlery.

Some some people can't say can't except it sounds like carnt.

The way some people spell probably I think they pronounce the word "prolly".

There are others.

Not 'real' but still funny.

[YOUTUBE]Y0A8mi466uc[/YOUTUBE]

Can we be a little more 'pacific' ?

If you fall inside you hit the floor...outside it's the ground.

The way some people spell probably I think they pronounce the word "prolly".

'Definitely' seems to elude many. Defiantly, definately, etc.

My ongoing favourite, having been in the insurance industry for years, is "I've lost the sustificate for me Vovo." Maybe it's a Worcester thing :dk:

Just tested Mrs BTB (who is German), and she can say "squirrel" OK! :thumb:

So many words that Brits get wrong, asterix (asterisk), artic (arctic), etc.

A lot of people, swmbo included, pronounce chimney as chimley :dk:

The one I find most annoying is the metathesis aks :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: for ask :doh::doh::doh: despite valid linguistic reasons for it.
Metathesis (linguistics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

e.g.
The process has shaped many English words historically. Bird and horse came from Old English bryd and hros; wasp and hasp were also written wæps and hæps. Likewise, it explains why the 'r' moved after the vowel in third and thirteen, even though they originally had it before like three still does.

What are you's two doing. Lol. And I've clent my car.

Staying with a foreign theme, try a French person with "crisps" and a Thai person saying Volvo!

West Indian "beacon sandwich"

Sarf London "butta"

Most English "skellington"

I was watching a documentary and nearly keeled over at the pronunciation of a word (in English) and it got me thinking. I have trouble with petrol…pe'rol.

To start the ball rolling (and to see if it catches on) here are a couple which happen to be non-British but we are not exempt!

[YOUTUBE]ejuK8_12Fmg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE HD]HY6vITjLvWI[/YOUTUBE HD]

I spent a bit of time in Germany , so know how some sounds are alien to Germans , but I wonder how many English speakers can correctly pronounce eichhornchen ( the German word for squirrel ) ? :)

Also , where does that American chappy get the 'ee' sound from the letter 'i' in mirror ? Everyone I know says 'm-ih-rror' , not 'm-ee-rror'- as he seems to :dk:

Also , where does that American chappy get the 'ee' sound from the letter 'i' in mirror ? Everyone I know says 'm-ih-rror' , not 'm-ee-rror'- as he seems to :dk:

I found it ironic (and amusing) that an English teacher, lecturing the whole world on pronunciation, would make such a hash of it. M-ee-rror me-ar5e.:D

If you want a giggle, have look at this 79 Common Mispronunciations - mental_floss on YouTube (Ep. 21) - YouTube and this sketch Problems with English pronunciation FUNNY - YouTube (keep watching until Lee Mack joins in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom