A lot of tire wear and fast..rear S212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

conor1n

Car
E350 S212 M272 3.5 // SL 500 R230 M113 5.0
Hello

I have just replaced some very badly worn tires on my E class. The tire were in great shape 8000 miles ago and there is still plenty of tread, but the insides of the rears were just about to blow come testing time. See below.

It is obvious that something is wrong, what could it be? Here are my thoughts and I would very much appreciate some help from you guys on this.
  1. All things point to camber?
  2. Just after purchasing the car, I changed the rear air suspension bags/bellows as they were shot. I wonder did I upset the camber in the process?
  3. When I had the car parked with electrics on, I could hear the compressor for air suspension run ever minute or so for about 5 seconds. There is clearly a leak in the suspension air plumbing which I need to plug. Would that upset the camber or suspension at all?
Basically I am afraid to start driving the car again as I don't want to wear out my new P Zeroes.. I also fear that if I get it aligned at the rears, will the air suspension still cause an issue? What does everybody think?

Thanks in advance..

Note: Staggered setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in OP that those tyres showing the wear are actually 225/45/17s stretched on to a 245/45/17 wheel.. cheap/dodgy car dealer did that.

How does that affect things?

img_20200919_132618-jpg.2654187

img_20200925_142458-jpg.2654188

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd start by ruling out a weak/faulty pump by having a Star test done. If there is a fault, Star will pin point it.
Once that has been addressed, I'd head to Wheels in Motion at Cheshunt for a wheel alignment and camber check.
If the car is too low it can affect the camber which in turn will cause excess wear on the tyre tread

My E55 used to wear out the insides of the rear tyres but my W212 is fine with wear even across the tread

Are both sides similarly worn ?

Certainly looks like a camber issue , maybe worth while getting a quick alignment check done.

With such savage tyre wear , if it is a camber issue, then it should be really noticeable by looking along the side of the car or by having the car on a properly level surface and placing a decent spirit vertically on the bottom of the tyre then checking the gap at the top of the tyre then using first year trig to work out the angle.

My old Saab 9-3 ran with a 2 degree negative camber , eating the tyres , which was changed by shimming the rear hubs until there was just 0.5 degrees of negative camber.

K

I'd start by ruling out a weak/faulty pump by having a Star test done. If there is a fault, Star will pin point it.
Once that has been addressed, I'd head to Wheels in Motion at Cheshunt for a wheel alignment and camber check.
If the car is too low it can affect the camber which in turn will cause excess wear on the tyre tread

My E55 used to wear out the insides of the rear tyres but my W212 is fine with wear even across the tread

Interesting.. you are the second person to suggest that.

To be honest there is a bit of a leak in the air system at the moment.

1. When I park up after a drive and turn off the car and stay in the car. Key in, engine off. The compressor runs for about 3 seconds ever 15 seconds (That's a lot!).
  2. I had the car parked up for a week there, while I was working on the PCV valve. Once I started it up I could see it raise up.
I know what I need to do then.. find the leak using soapy water method :)

What does the STAR test do specifically?

Are both sides similarly worn ?

Certainly looks like a camber issue , maybe worth while getting a quick alignment check done.

With such savage tyre wear , if it is a camber issue, then it should be really noticeable by looking along the side of the car or by having the car on a properly level surface and placing a decent spirit vertically on the bottom of the tyre then checking the gap at the top of the tyre then using first year trig to work out the angle.

My old Saab 9-3 ran with a 2 degree negative camber , eating the tyres , which was changed by shimming the rear hubs until there was just 0.5 degrees of negative camber.

K

Hey Kenny,

Yes, the pictures show each of the rear tyres.

Interesting check. I have the car booked in for tracking in a regular MOT station next week. I think I may cancel that for now.

OH AND GUYS... I forgot to mention in OP that those tyres showing the wear are actually 225/45/17s stretched on to a 245/45/17 wheel.. cheap/dodgy car dealer did that.

How does that affect things?

As a quick height check then there must be another member with a 212 who could get you a size from the center of their wheel to the highest point of the wheel arch and you can compare it with yours.

Looking at the tyre wear the car would be need to noticeably lower than where it should be to cause that amount of wear.

K

I know what I need to do then.. find the leak using soapy water method :)

What does the STAR test do specifically?

A Star test can see the live values with the engine running and perform tests to see whether the pump is operating correctly, or air lines leaking. It sounds like you have either
A.......... a leaking air bag, valve block or vacuum line
B.......... A faulty air suspension pump.

I'd give Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow a call and book a test to rule out any leaks or bad pump.

A Star test can see the live values with the engine running and perform tests to see whether the pump is operating correctly, or air lines leaking. It sounds like you have either
A.......... a leaking air bag, valve block or vacuum line
B.......... A faulty air suspension pump.

I'd give Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow a call and book a test to rule out any leaks or bad pump.

Ok thanks. Well the bags should be fine as I replaced both in April last year after purchase. Others still up for assessment. I could have also cross threaded one of the brass fittings into the air bag (I hope not).

I have a lead on a C3 STAR unit from a guy here in the UK for 300 odd quid which will cover up to 2014 (both my cars) .. so I think I might wait for that as diagnostic sessions run about £70 quid here.. and this isn't _that_ urgent.

An excuse to use the SL for any longer trips while I get this sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom