A meeting of AMGs :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spudders

Car
Looking for R171 SLK55
I have a pretty short run to work everyday. Today on the way I got behind an E65 'S'. He gunned it on the dual carriageways but I managed to keep up ;)

Then we came to the traffic lights and there was a CLS63 I have seen parked at work. Me outside lane, CLS63 in middle and E65 on inside lane. Couldn't resist pulling along side and giving him an AMG hello :devil: He responded in kind and we continued making sweet noise until the lights went green :D A biker came in between us and gave us a nod as well :thumb:

Lost them round the roundabout so I sped off to catch the bikers up :cool:

Don't very often meet another AMG driver but when you, its fuuun :rock:

Clearly the other two drivers know that road racing is stupid,if you were challenged
by either of those cars on a track you might not want to post the outcome,but those
guy's will know that and that's all that matters.

I was not road racing...didn't mean to imply that. By 'lost them' i meant in traffic, my lane moved faster. I do not 'road race'. Dual carriageway was clear so put my foot down.

E65 s?

55K engine will blitz a 63 any day of the week purely because of the huge torque, but only if you have a decent LSD and tyres....
65 engine is a different story....although not sure they make an E65?

.-

Last edited:
I was not road racing...didn't mean to imply that. By 'lost them' i meant in traffic, my lane moved faster. I do not 'road race'. Dual carriageway was clear so put my foot down.

With clarity,not so bad.:D:thumb:

Wonder how my old tub would fare... S211, no LSD, remapped to 525 bhp (allegedly - I've not yet contacted the previous owner to see who did the remap) but no idea of the torque.

55K engine will blitz a 63 any day of the week purely because of the huge torque, but only if you have a decent LSD and tyres....
No they don't make an E65, but Mercedes does make an E63S which is 577bhp and does 0-62 in 4.0 seconds.

55K engine 700NM
63S engine 800NM
65 engine 1000NM (limited)

I think 55K would lose

OP never mentioned S in his first post, only CLS63 and so 55K would not lose against a stock 63 ;)
Like I said previously, 65 engine is a different story ;)

Last edited:
Isn't the 63s a 5.5 bi turbo apposed to a genuine 63 lump (6.2l)

OP never mentioned S in his first post, only CLS63 and so 55K would not lose against a stock 63 ;)
Like I said previously, 65 engine is a different story ;)

63 bi-turbo is 720NM
63 (6.2 na) is 600NM (or 630NM if you are lucky)

I agree the 55K has more pull from low down against the 6.2 na, but when the revs are up I found my 63 quicker than my 55K

The old 5 speed was nicer for mid range too... less downshifts.

So I agree in normal to medium fast the 55K always pulled like a train. :)

55K engine 700NM
63S engine 800NM
65 engine 1000NM (limited)

I think 55K would lose

Depends what engine is in what generally speaking (i.e. you mentioned no models).

However, referring to the exact models in the OP, CLS is 100kgs heavier than an E55K and 200kg heavier than an E63S.

The E63S should pull ahead and the CLS and E would be close I reckon.

That is assuming everything is standard of course.

Another one of TDE1's ramblings coming, so feel free to skip it.!

Mrs TDE1 has only driven mine (E55k) on a handful of occasions, although I'd love her to be more comfortable behind the wheel of it. She's a good driver, but timid.

During few the times she did have a go, I must say it feels a different animal in the passenger seat if you forget what's under the bonnet. A very nice, quiet, comfortable place to sit.

I've only been a passenger in two other E55k W211s. One at MSL (short bursts for the owner to check a s/c heat issue), and one at Vmax, where a kind member showed me that 170+ is easy in a standard one, even with a limited straight.

I still scratch my head wondering how such a big old pretty thing (they do look nice IMHO) can be such a Jeckyll and Hyde.

So my vote goes to the W211 E55k. Affordable (for me, I'm not rich and wouldn't do PCP etc), good looking, stealthy, fantastic engine, easy to drive for a little woman, and practical.

No doubt there are better AMG's for handling, price, modern looks, classic looks, economy etc, but as a catch-all performance car.... It ticks the boxes for me.

Maybe it's sunstroke after today's lovely weather, but I love mine :thumb:

(Memo to self - stop the rambling :eek:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom