A Monday rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
One of the less enjoyable parts of my business is touting for new business. I do that in several ways, but one of them is to make appointments to see people who think they don't need my services, and then to try to convince them that they do. It's not the most reliable method, but it's a numbers game, and it does have some success.

In the past two weeks, I have driven over 900 miles to ten seperate appointments, and in every single case, the person I have arranged to see has been out.

Today, I drove 50 miles to see somebody who let me down last week, and who had very apologetically rearranged to meet me this morning.

He was out.

Grrr.

A note to everyone, therefore:

People trying to make appointments to see you for what you think is a pointless selling exercise are just trying to earn a living too. They warrant the respect to either be told to go away, or to have their prearranged appointments honoured.

Thank you for your time. :(

PJ

Hmmm..why didn't you call to ensure he was in before setting off? Or call from your car "Hi just to check you're still ok for this morning as I am on my way over to see you.."

Hmmm..why didn't you call to ensure he was in before setting off? Or call from your car "Hi just to check you're still ok for this morning as I am on my way over to see you.."

Appointments are confirmed the day before, on my behalf.

Appointments are confirmed the day before, on my behalf.

A lot can happen in 24 hrs.... and especially over a weekend....always worth a quick call from the car...even to ask where is the best place to park local to the office or some such excuse to talk to ensure the guy WILL be in....

Obviously 24 hr checks on your behalf aren't working ... sometimes its easier to fob off a secretary..

Just some thoughts..

recycled said:
have you always kept all your own appointments without fail ever?

Yes. Without fail. On two occasions, I have arranged for somebody else (a 'competitor') to go in my place.

crockers said:
Obviously 24 hr checks on your behalf aren't working

Obviously, you're right. Waht p!$$es me off is that these people have my mobile and email contacts, and yet they can't be bothered to tell me when their plans change. I always make appointments directly with the subject, not with a secretary.

I wrote some software that I then went out on the road to sell some years ago and what amazed me was how many people in quite senior positions didn't have the guts to just say "I am not interested". At least then you wouldn't waste your time and there's by harassing them again in the future. Plus of course many of these people were in sales type companies/jobs themselves so knew the score.

I quite often say "I'm just not interested" and it's often not enough.

I've even resorted to "There are no circumstances under which I will use your company"...and yet they still turn up suggesting they've made appointments.

Being an importer the most common cold calls I get are from Foreign Exchange companies, roughly 10 a week, every week, without fail. Every single one of them is better than the the others, none of them understand "go away I'm simply not going to use you".

It does work both ways.

I side with doofus on this 100%. I don't know why anyone is defending the appointment missers, unless perhaps they treat others in the same cavalier manner & think it's no big thing?

There is no excuse for this sort of behaviour. It's just ignorant & extremely inconsiderate.

A lot can happen in 24 hours or in a morning for that matter. All it takes is a 1 minute phone call to cancel or reschedule an appointment, an appointmert they confirmed only the day before!

For my views on no show appointments after a long distance drive see - http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54459

Mudster said:
It does work both ways.

That's true, and maybe I'm at fault for expecting everyone to have as much integrity as me. I can (and do) take 'No' for an answer. I just get angry when people think that I'm irrelevant.

I can (and do) take 'No' for an answer.

You are one of a dying breed then !
I have had several reps come to my office without an appointment, but insisting they did have one :)
Do you make all of your own leads or are they given to you as qualified prospects ?

The biggest pain for me right now are people ringing to speak to my MD and then just hanging up when they are told that he isnt there. As fast as you can get the words out there is just a click and dialtone from the other end.
I probably get 30 of these a day, many of them from US stockbrokers who are as thick skinned as it is possible to get. On one occasion one of them was told very blatently to "go forth and multiply" - he replied he would call again next week when I was in a better frame of mind and he did!

what is it you sell... I am curious now?

Me.

I provide advice and support to small and medium businesses. I act as a Business Advisor, a Freelance Manager, a Part-time Director and so on, filling in gaps in the existing skillset or resources.

PS: This isn't an advert, Mods. :)

your work

how interesting - I'm in Coventry today working for someone who does exactly what you do!

Mark300SL said:
Do you make all of your own leads or are they given to you as qualified prospects ?

Many of my leads are word-of-mouth. Some come from by way of enquiries on my website (which needs some SEO, by the way ;) ). Some come from associates (other people doing what I do) who can't meet the client's needs, and others come from unqualified appointments (that meet certain cirteria set by me), for which I use telemarketers.

Because I always need to spend 50% of my time filling the sales pipeline, I use whatever means I can to do it.

PJ

timskemp said:
how interesting - I'm in Coventry today working for someone who does exactly what you do!

Does he know you're on the internet chatting? :D

The very word "telemarketers" sends a shiver down my spine.

How many of these no-shows came from telemarketing leads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom