A mysterious little noise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Bennett

Car
1992 230E Auto
Hello, I'm a new member and a rookie Mercedes owner so I hope this query is in the correct section.

I've become the proud owner of a 1992 230E auto saloon (which I believe is classed as with the W124 series engine), and it's a really beautiful example with just 55,500 (ish) genuine miles.

It drives perfectly as far as I can tell, but there is a curious little noise heard when driving with the windows open in the recent hot weather, and it sounds like it comes from underneath the car.

It is like an occasional "clink" or "tink" sound, which sounds very much like the sort of sound you sometimes get when an engine or exhaust is cooling after a run (like a metalic contracting or expanding noise). At first I thought it might be related to some sort of gear selection action in the auto transmission, but it seems to occur quite randomly and doesn't necessarily coincide with any gear changes. Then after a few miles driving, the sound becomes less noticeable, and as the car reaches what is presumably its normal running temperature, it is virtually undetectable.

However, after the car has been parked for a short period (as in a 20-30 minute visit to a supermarket or wherever), it can be heard once again until the car has warmed up once more.

When I drive with the windows closed, it's almost impossible to detect the sound, so the noise I'm trying to describe can't be classed as loud by any means. Just mysterious (to me at least).

I'd appreciate any thoughts that fellow members might have.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hello and welcome.

The car is a W124 and the engine is the M102.

The noise could be a heat shield on the exhaust. Some of the fixing points may have corroded.

Hello and welcome.

The car is a W124 and the engine is the M102.

The noise could be a heat shield on the exhaust. Some of the fixing points may have corroded.

Thanks, Stwat.

I'll maybe try and have a crawl under the car, to see if I can spot anything untoward.

Heat shield sounds promising... maybe the cat too!

Heat shield sounds promising... maybe the cat too!

Cheers, I'll get the car checked out tomorrow with a bit of luck (hoping it's not the cat, eh!)

Thanks all, for the responses, the thread can sink now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom