A new addition. Help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks. Today I purchased a really nice blue LaserLine oil can. This is a 1 litre, thumb operated jobbie. You know, the type that you just want to be in a confined space with massive, banging, steaming things and big rags wrapped around you wrists. Yes, this is the oil can that built nations and sank ships. It’s flexible nozzle can lubricate the driest of patches (steady there lads). It’s spring loaded trigger will never fail or catch that bit of skin between thumb and palm. It is the can of cans. A lubricating system that takes us back to when men were men and sheep were frightened.

What’s the best oil to put in it please for general ‘around the garage and engine use?’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce, just for elimination of doubt, I'm assuming you mean one of these suckers.....correct?

6f01d7d2ad98d1e896d97cf9f08f1d7d.jpg

Bruce I just use whatever oil is left over from an oil change. When I was a young Jaguar apprentice that was all we ever used, covered all oily jobs from door hinges to engine building.

3 in 1 oil is too thin and far too expensive. I use engine oil. If want something thinner I dilute it with white spirit but I wouldn't use that on anything critical.

Bruce, just for elimination of doubt, I'm assuming you mean one of these suckers.....correct?

6f01d7d2ad98d1e896d97cf9f08f1d7d.jpg

Mike

That’s a fine looking can and a good likeness for my new purchase. God I look good with my finger poised over the trigger.

Engine oil is looking good chaps. I mean fresh engine oil. None of that ‘out of date’ stuff.

b022e0c20281a20f2f06416c4efe6574.jpg

There is something erotic in the shape. The curvature. It’s smooth action trigger and flexible nozzle that grows firm as the lubricant is pushed up the tubing.

I was just wondering if the tube was firm enough for poking into hidden orifices.

I was just wondering if the tube was firm enough for poking into hidden orifices.

For that kind of job I prefer to pull out my Grease Gun. Heavy duty this is sure to get grease anywhere even places where you wanted it to go.
a39e0d7c6cac78a740703cf327250017.jpg

Just some useless information about grease guns........ that an old brake flexible hose will fit in place of a rigid end ....depending of course if you want it rigid or flexible, to latch onto the end of a greasy nipple..... not only, but also, use a piece of thin rag on the nipple as it helps with the seal. :eek: o_O
Over to you Bruce.

Steve

For that kind of job I prefer to pull out my Grease Gun. Heavy duty this is sure to get grease anywhere even places where you wanted it to go.
a39e0d7c6cac78a740703cf327250017.jpg

Not much use with that amount of droop methinks.

Well I an awe of the that blue oil thingy,Bruce there no doubt about it you have the sheep worried,and as for those rows of spanners all neat and tidy,I stand head lowered in your company,one thing I want to know do you like me have a special spanner you throw across the garage when things go wrong,if so a photo please and where does it sit in relation to those pristine tool boxes.

Along the lines of "Joe Public" deciding that after the arrival of the Star Wars Films in the seventies the arrival a new Sect/Religion called Jedi Knight, can I humbly request that all here in awe to the Bruce Mans Oil can, be enrolled into the Order of the:

Knights of the Blue Oil Can.

Meetings will be held by proxy in ones own Garage/Shed and at any suitable MB Meeting or Venue, changing your Religion on your Birth Certificate is optional as is the Tattoo of the Blue Oil Can (Tattoo's must be concealed in order to preserve privacy, depending where the Tattoo is placed)!

Last edited:
Well I an awe of the that blue oil thingy,Bruce there no doubt about it you have the sheep worried,and as for those rows of spanners all neat and tidy,I stand head lowered in your company,one thing I want to know do you like me have a special spanner you throw across the garage when things go wrong,if so a photo please and where does it sit in relation to those pristine tool boxes.

Brian

I have no Special Chucking Spanner, preferring instead to launch whatever is at hand in my moment of rage. This usually turns out to be an expensive thing that has word like "Fragile" and "do not break seal" written on it. I once (and this is true) threw a tin of cellulose paint which upon impact with the wall, disgorged its contents over almost every single bit of kit in my garage. Oh how I giggled and chortled my way through cleaning that lot up.

But perhaps my long time favourite was, shorting a ring spanner between the starter and the chassis. In that moment (as my clothing started to smoulder) I learned words that I have not forgotten to this day. I mean really big, bad naughty words, like "gosh" and "goodness me". But I still believe that for that all time feeling of great well being, there is nothing that beats the second a well tensioned spanner, slips off that suspension nut, sending your knuckles at full speed and force, towards some rusty, sharp metal edge that will remove all of the skin from the back of your hands in a split second.

I once watched in awe, as my golfing partner threw his entire golf bag and clubs, jumpers etc into a lake, before realising his car keys were in the bag. It was maybe the longest and loneliest swim I have ever watched a grown man make, ended only by a Swan Dive to make the final recovery from the depths of the lake. Many years later and he still cannot recount the incident without him losing his temper and me wetting my pants laughing.

Bruce the one i have is a Chinese copy, and of course ,, it all fell to bits inside, on an important job . But i did an update on it, and put a screw through the nylon plunger to close the slot, that holds the thumb plunger rod .. Only clever members will understand this repair .lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom